Eating less on workout days??

Options
Okay, this may be a really strange question, but here goes.
I've been noticing that the days that I work out, I also eat less. But I tend to eat more the next day.
I really don't understand it, but it just seems to be how it works out-I honestly don't try to do that.
Is this normal? Anyone else do this?

Replies

• missxchelly
    missxchelly Posts: 180
    Options
    I eat less the days I work out as well and eat more the days I don't work out. Like you, I am not sure why.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I think some people have a routine where they eat less on cardio days and eat more on weight training days, with the goal to simultaneously burn fat and build muscle. I'm probably way oversimplifying this particular routine. I try to eat consistently as I can ever day. But for whatever reason, on days that I have a really high calorie burn (say 800 or more calories), I tend to want to eat way over my calories, and often do.
  • peppersg
    peppersg Posts: 6
    Options
    It does make sense... On the days you exercising you really need to add additional carlories.. 1200 is your base before exercise... You need those calories so you won't put you body in a starvation mode.. The day after you exercise, your metabolism is high and your body wants to eat more... If you find it hard to stay in your calories limit on that day, try eating some lean proteins.. I hope this helps.. :)
    Susan
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yup.....that's usually the case here, as well. For me, working out curbs my appetite a bit. I am ravenous the day after I do weights. Who am I kidding....I'm always hungry. ;)
  • jenfitz34
    jenfitz34 Posts: 31
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to have a protein (any kind) some time before and shortly after your workout to aide in your muscles repairing themselves.
    When you workout out, lactic acid builds up around muscles and makes tiny tears in the muscle fiber (the burn you feel when working a particular muscle), and the protein aides in speeding up the process of your muscles rebuilding making them more tone and strong.
    Protein also helps give you an energy boost before the workout making it possible to workout a bit harder and/or longer.
    As far as eating more,.. you are repairing your body while resting, so you may need the extra fuel to help your body heal since it burns calories while healing.
    Try to eat small meals every couple of hours (a meal can be 15 almonds= 100 calories or a small apple) this may make the hunger lessen on the days you aren't working out since your body gets accustomed to smaller meals more often.
    Also, try drinking a large glass of water. Believe it or not, sometimes the body confuses hunger with thirst and once you drink water the hunger may go away.
  • peppersg
    peppersg Posts: 6
    Options
    Good thots Jenn.. :)