Getting Motivated

Options
I need help motivating myself to get up and exercise. I go to work at 8 a.m. and it's hard for me to get up early enough to do a morning exercise and when I get off work, I'm tired and I dont feel like exercising. If anyone has some tips, I would love to hear them :heart: :wink:

Replies

• Tinkerbell1988
    Tinkerbell1988 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I need help motivating myself to get up and exercise. I go to work at 8 a.m. and it's hard for me to get up early enough to do a morning exercise and when I get off work, I'm tired and I dont feel like exercising. If anyone has some tips, I would love to hear them :heart: :wink:
  • Dropka
    Options
    I have the same problems... the only solution, thankfully, is I work out at lunch. But my work has a gym and I can eat while I work. I eat less and during "lunch time" I burn calories. Sometimes I just go for a walk (if it's nice outside.)
  • LowRainRats
    LowRainRats Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Me too! I get enough sleep but I just am not motivated to actually get up!
  • Skittles6617
    Skittles6617 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I am in your same boat!!! I have been sending messages on the Turbo Jammers section about this. I am going to have to get up at 5:00 just to work out because my life is so hectic...They are really encouraging over there and now I have the initiative to get up in the morning and give this a go....Come and check out the Turbo Jammers...
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay-at-home mom of 5, so I just squeeze in exercising when I can, but I have a friend who has the same problem as you, and she started going to the gym right after work instead of going home, so she doesn't have a chance to sit on the couch and feel "tired", she said its working for her. Something to try. I few years ago I used to meet her at the gym at 5 a.m., it was tough but after doing it for a few weeks, I actually looked forward to it, and was great to get the gym time out of the way before my day started, so a few ideas, good luck.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you want to be a new and improved better healthier you you're just going to have to do it. Either you sacrifice an hour of sleep everyday, or go to the gym right after work. YOU NEED TO DO THIS!!!! And YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!
    :heart: :drinker:
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am to workout. Never in a million years would I have guessed that I would ever be out of bed at that hour. I am not a morning person at all. I am not perfect either....I miss quite a few days! But the more I do it the more I get used to it. I work full time and have two teenage sons so by the time I get home and have everything settled, I am exhausted and it's bed time. I make myself workout at night if I don't get up early on that day. I just make myself do it! Mind over matter....and the matter is exhaustion!
  • PishPish97
    Options
    Here's an idea: Attach your bike to the back of your car and go riding with your sister after work.
  • lesliedionne
    Options
    I had this problem too!! it sucks! you wake up everyday THINKING your going to work out...or telling yourself " starting tommorow" i'm going to go to the gym!

but really there isnt a easy answer OTHER then to just PUSH yourself and go...ask yourself how bad you want the SEXIER you... i do know this...after you GET PAST THE HARD part of pushing yourself for a few days and stuff...it will start to become easy...you'll notice you have more energy and you wont want to NOT go to the gym because you'll A, feel bad and B, want to go just because it makes you feel GREAT!

anyways...my best advice would to be JUST GO...GO TODAY when you get home change and GO PUSH yourself...when you come home you will feel so good about yourself...

tommorow GO get home and GO! then after the hard it will be easy!!!

good luck!!! you can do it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I feel you...

Now that I am back at work, what has worked for me is scheduling my workouts as an extension of my workday. That means as soon as I get home, I put on my exercise cloths and head to the gym straight-away, no excuses. Before I joined a gym, it was put on the exercise cloths and head outside to run striaght away first thing in the morning-yes I was motivated to get up extra early- (my sister use to joke I slept with my Nikes on!)

I was also reading this book-Secrets of a Former Fat Girl..by Lisa Delany and what worked for her was going to the gym or the track/trail directly after work. As in no stopping at home. Her rational was if the exercise gear was in the car, then going home was not an option-it earsed any excuses that little voice in one's head can come up with to get one off track.

You need to find what will work for you, and schedule it in so it becomes a routine like brushing your teeth.

Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If I need to get up early, I schedule my workouts in WOWY and choose a workout buddy who has committed to workout at the same time as me... if I know someone is counting on me then it gives me more motivation to get my bum outta bed. :)
  • Tinkerbell1988
    Tinkerbell1988 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you my darling niece for that insight lol
    Here's an idea: Attach your bike to the back of your car and go riding with your sister after work.
  • PishPish97
    Options
    You need a basket for drip.
    Thank you my darling niece for that insight lol
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I go straight from my office... to the locker room (we have one at work) change clothes... so EVERYONE can see your in workout gear....then head to the gym before heading home... I found that making sure I told my friends at work about going to the gym at night has kept me motivated.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems... the only solution, thankfully, is I work out at lunch. But my work has a gym and I can eat while I work. I eat less and during "lunch time" I burn calories. Sometimes I just go for a walk (if it's nice outside.)

DITTO.
    Nothing else to say, you said exactly what I do too!

Oh wait, I do have one suggestion--

Find a workout buddy!!! Having someone else to motivate you is a big push. When I am tired, she can encourage me to workout harder, or if she's feeling like skipping a workout, she comes out of guilt so she doesn't leave my by my lonesome. :laugh: Accountability!!

heehee, thougth I was being original (in this thread) with my comment, but PsyKnife beat me to it!
    If I need to get up early, I schedule my workouts in WOWY and choose a workout buddy who has committed to workout at the same time as me... if I know someone is counting on me then it gives me more motivation to get my bum outta bed. :)