Am I really burning this many calories?

Options
So I work at a 7-11 I'm literally on my feet for 7hrs and 45 mins while i'm at work. I thought this should be considered some of my exersise for the day. O logged it in as '240 minutes of "Walking, 2.0 mph, slow pace" I would say its half walking around and half standing at the till and briskly walking back and for to grab, smokes Hot food ECT. Its telling me i'm burning about 1111 calories, Could I really be burning this much just at work?

Replies

• TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    What do you have your profile set as? With that amount of being on your feet, you should set as active, which will take into account the walking around.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is set up, you should set your activity level to "active" and not include work in your exercise calories. It does seem unlikely you'd burn this amount, as the basic calorie difference from sedentary to active is only a couple of hundred calories.
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Don't log it as calories, this is not additional calories burned this is lifestyle. What did you put in as you lifestyle when you started? Sedentary, Light, Moderate or active. Believe it or not that is still just considered light. That 1111 calories is considered in your BMR from when you signed up your profile. The exercise you want to log is when you go beyond daily physical activity.
  • cassmsta
    cassmsta Posts: 75
    Options
    It is set to " Sedentary"

My Calorie Goal is 1350

LOL i should probably change that eh?
  • cassmsta
    Options
    So I changed it to Active and it bumped my calories up to 1720?

My BMR is: 1,877 calories/day
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    So I changed it to Active and it bumped my calories up to 1720?

My BMR is: 1,877 calories/day
    Yup, that's perfect. Log any other "deliberate" exercise you do on top of your job and you're sorted.
  • cassmsta
    Options
    Awesome, Thanks for the help, glad I got that sorted before it was to late.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I would go with "Light" as opposed to "Active." And like others have said, do not log those exercise minutes--MFP takes them into account when calculating your calories/goals.

But, to answer your question, it is not unthinkable to say that you burnt a lot of calories over the course of the work day. If your body would burn 1877 calories even if you woke up and sat in front of the television all day, why wouldn't a little physical activity increase that amount?
    -wtk
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm at work too for 5 1/2 hours constantly on my feet walking about quickly and carrying stuff, I used to put sedendary and count work but you'll never know how accurate it is, or how many you would've burned anyway just by sitting at home.
    I now have it set to "active" and only count my workouts - seems to be working well :-) I would definately suggest that.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    If your job is standing all day - lightly active, if you are walking all day - active.
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I wear a Bodybugg. It's really interesting to learn how much your body burns doing different activities. This is, of course, very general, but just sitting down you can figure about a calorie a minute. Once you stand up, it's two a minute or double!! Once you start walking around doing something, it goes to three per minute and then just up from there depending on what you are doing. So eight hours of standing doing nothing is 960 calories, and once you start moving, it only goes up from there.

I agree with the others that you should list yourself as active and add in exercise and eat all of those calories. If you are not seeing the scale move, you may need to eat even more. Look at it as an experiment. Once you find the right combination, you will know it.