Hamburger Meat??

Options
Ok, My hubby and I have just started to eat better BUT I have a freezer feel of hamburger meat!!! Anyone have any ideas on what to cook with it that wouldn't be as fattening???

Any suggestions/recipes would be great!!

Replies

• KBagwell
    Options
    Ok, My hubby and I have just started to eat better BUT I have a freezer feel of hamburger meat!!! Anyone have any ideas on what to cook with it that wouldn't be as fattening???

Any suggestions/recipes would be great!!
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hamburger meat is ok occasionally as long as it is lean--are you buying 80/20 or 93/7?. Also, if you cook it for tacos or whatever, drain off the fat, and you'll be better off (although I can't quantify what it does for calories/fat content...)

Also, I make shephard's pie with green beans instead of corn, and I shred some zucchini to mix in with the meat so you're not consuming as much per serving. Good luck!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Most of the fat will "melt" when you cook it. So if you rinse it you will wash away most of the fat. I would put it into soup.

This is what I do. Brown hamburger in skillet. In a large pot put in some diced carots, onions, potatoes, cabbage, celery and a couple boulion (sp) cubes and enough water to cover all veggies, and bring to boil and reduce heat to med. Add hamburger, a can of diced tomatoes, frozen green beans, frozen corn, and a can of tomatoe soup, salt and pepper to taste, and enough water to make it "soupy". It's pretty good, and pretty low cal.
  • KBagwell
    Options
    I would love to make soup....BUT my family is soooo picky! No one here eats onions, tomatoes...anything out of the norm! Anyone have any suggestions on a "plain" meal with hamburger meat! lol

Thanks for the recipe though!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    LOL.... I used to SQUEEEEZE the fat out of 75% lean burger when I would fry it for spaghetti sauce.

Now I don't even eat beef except maybe once every 10-14 days.

I would give half to a neighbor, and use the remainder mixed with a leaner burger (like 95% lean), and TVP (texturized vegetable protein) to make meat loaf til it's all used up.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    How about hamburger steaks on the grill.
  • rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hamburger meat is one of my comfort foods mixed in with Macaroni and Chesse...delicious *drain off the fat*
  • KBagwell
    Options
    Just the meat and macaroni and cheese??? Or do you add anything else? Sounds simple enough that my family may eat it! lol
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Just the meat and macaroni and cheese??? Or do you add anything else? Sounds simple enough that my family may eat it! lol

Sounds high in calories. Be sure to measure your portion on that dish!
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    We ran into this problem when I first started my new lifestyle. I went out and bought some ground turkey breast (99% lean) and some extra lean ground beef (96% lean). We then used half "regular" ground beef that we had in the freezer and half of the much leaner beef for whatever we'd use ground beef for. Then we just drained it really well.

You could do it that way or maybe just have a huge barbeque for everyone in your neighborhood...feed everyone else regular burgers and feed your family lean burgers :laugh:
  • rosiesantos7
    Options
    yes just hamburger meat mixed with macaroni and cheese. I love it and it even tastes good cold.
  • rosiesantos7
    Options
    mmmm..Hamburger Helper. I am making myself hungry!!!!!
  • rosiesantos7
    Options
    Sounds high in calories. Be sure to measure your portion on that dish!
    [/quote]

I agree...self-control is important
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Hamburger meat is one of my comfort foods mixed in with Macaroni and Chesse...delicious *drain off the fat*

OMG!!! I used to do that too!!!!!!!!!! One of the most economical dishes I could come up with!!!
    Understand, I have two sons over 6' tall, and my BF, so they can pack some food away.