aqua aerobics

Options
its gonna be my first class tomorrow, so excited, i not been swimming in two years!! anyone else out there doing silly little classes like me to try n get fitter?

Replies

• simlane
    simlane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    its gonna be my first class tomorrow, so excited, i not been swimming in two years!! anyone else out there doing silly little classes like me to try n get fitter?
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I did water aerobics over the summer to add some variety to my workouts and found it to be very strenuous...not heart pounding, sweating strenuous, but tiring...especially for the arms. I just use the equipment that looks like dumbbells but made of foam.....
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has been going to an aqua class every Sat. morning and he enjoys it.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I did water aerobics while on vacation and LOVED IT. Wish I could attend a class around here. Enjoy!!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

YAY for you...um, but I would NEVER call them silly lil classes.... it's an AWESOME cardio workout depending on your instructor and how much you put into it. I LOVE My water....so calming so intense, so invigorating....

I jump around to different instructors to really get all the goodies from each of them. My class tonight is I have to say the craziest of them all. Sally is a former floor aerobics instructor...so really does it different than many of the others. She has a tamborine (lil kids version which makes it even more hliarious!!) and really gets us in the spirit...her music choices ROCk. From fast past River Dance to water kickboxing...I feel like the hour flys by....never anyone without a smiling face through out the whole hour....we all love her for how hard she works us. But at the end when you finish you don't feel pain, you feel from the tip of your head to the bottom of your feet....a complete body workout.

I do hope you love your class and that the instructor is good one! A year ago I could NEVER have worked out like I do now....so I never take it for granted and feel so much success in where I am now...and can only imagine where I'll be 6 monthes to a year from now!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Please consider taking a large water bottle with you...so many folks don't thinking 'hey I'm in the water'...what do I need water for. :noway:

The you work hard, you sweat hard (and the rest of swim in it..:noway: :laugh: ) but I drink bottle of it to rehydrate and several more after I get out of the pool.:drinker:

Have fun have fun have fun:tongue:

Please share tomorrow or later tonight how you enjoyed it....:drinker:
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My grandmother used to teach those classes, she even wrote a book about it (hard to believe for me but true nonetheless). I'm taking a kickboxing class myself, it's great for accountability and motivation!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I did water aerobics over the summer to add some variety to my workouts and found it to be very strenuous...not heart pounding, sweating strenuous, but tiring...especially for the arms. I just use the equipment that looks like dumbbells but made of foam.....
    wow...but aren't those misleading...:laugh: But anything you use underwater really does give a great workout...love the deep water workouts!! After being in a water class for awhile you build up strength just as you would lifting regular weights...so maybe try it again and take it slower and you'll build up those arm muscles. Trust me last year I thought I was gonna literally dies just taking the gym tour.:noway:

I started out with slow paced classes...um, yes:blushing: arthritis classes etc. as I had no clue where I fit in as far as what I could do...I think I truly underestimated myself and quickly jumped into regular classes.

If a person has not used certain or any (:laugh: :blushing: ) muscles in quite sometime (I'm talking about me a year ago here), wow, you feel like a noodle in that your entire body hurts and I just kept going and wondered it I would die there in the water...:laugh: ok, not literally but well I did wonder if I was having a heart attack when we did underwater workouts...I then ask the instructor if she felt like she was having a heart attack (hey ya gotta know my humor:noway: ) and she say YES!! Went on to explain that when you workout underwater you are really pushing yourself in a very different way.

Ok, just another short lil post from me:laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker:
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Like psyknife says, I do water aerobics every saturday morning. Its a great non impact type of workout.
  • leena21775
    Options
    I just started my plan today. I do not have the money to go to any classes right now, so I am doing water aerobics on my own with my three year old son. He weighs 32 pounds, so I lift him out of the water and back in. I also do exercises where I push him away and then pull him back. To exercise my legs I do squats in the water. I also jump up and down all around the pool for about 15 minutes and tread on water for a while. Today is the first day of my whole routine officially, but I have been doing it most of the summer with my son. I enjoy it because it isn't as hard on my joints, but I realy feel a sense of accomplishment. I hope you have a great time and enjoy it. I got in an hour of exercise today and loved every minute of it.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Wow, wow, WOW! I thought about taking some aqua aerobic classes, but when I asked my trainer about taking them, she didn't really sound too keen on the idea. Hmmm... Well, I've gotten to the point now, that I'm not seeing her much right now. She says that she doesn't want to put me on much more weight training than what I'm doing now until I lose another 15lbs. So, I started thinking about the aqua aerobic classes again 'cuz I'm starting to get bored. After reading all of your posts, I'm definitely going to look more into it!! You guys are awesome! But uhhh...how far deep in the water do they go? Do you have to be a good swimmer? I am so NOT a swimmer, but I love the water. :blushing:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to know how to swim...especially if you use some sort of floatation device (foam barbells, noodle, that thing that floats that ties around your waist) even in the deep water where your feet won't touch...you'll be fine!!! DIVE IN :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I did water aerobics the entire time that I was pregnant for a low-impact workout. I loved it. I also think that I would have gained 1,000 lbs without it because I ate everything I could get my hands on. Not silly....a great exercise. Enjoy!
  • simlane
    simlane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    well i'm back!! (gym was next door so i did an hour in there before swimming too)
    it was ace, im not sore yet but sure i will be tomorrow, the only problem was that i'm the only person under 60!! it was great though i was doing extra little bits and really pushing myself. Go Fitness!!
    Was ashamed when i got out of the pool tired after the 60 minutes and the others went for a swim but it was my first!!:blushing:

3479.png
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    well i'm back!! (gym was next door so i did an hour in there before swimming too)
    it was ace, im not sore yet but sure i will be tomorrow, the only problem was that i'm the only person under 60!! it was great though i was doing extra little bits and really pushing myself. Go Fitness!!
    Was ashamed when i got out of the pool tired after the 60 minutes and the others went for a swim but it was my first!!:blushing:

3479.png

You'll work up to it:happy: Good for you, so glad you went and tried something new!! Yes, YOU WILL feel it the next day....but after awhile it will be a good feeling that you worked out hard, and not a OMG...I'm never going back feeling. :laugh:

We have different levels of water aerobics at my Fitness Center also 2 pools... low impact classes are done in the therapy pool (94 degree water...MUCH to warm for HR excercise but relaxing on the joints when I pop in every so often) high intensity aerobics (is the one I take) in the lap pool which is 84 degrees which is perfect so when you really start doing heavy duty cardio you're sweating but not ready to keel over like you would be in the 'therapy pool'...what I call the warm pool vs. the cool pool:laugh:

Off to to an appt. and then a couple water classes....Have a great day all! :drinker: :drinker: