Extra skin on stomach concern

Options
Lately, I've really been thinking of extra skin resulting from massive weightloss, mainly in the stomach region. If you are and have been above 200 pounds for a while, yet you're still young and without kids, what are the chances that extra skin won't bounce back when you lose all your weight? I am extremely worried about this. If extra skin DOES stick around, can it disappear with help from special workouts?

Replies

• meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    BUMP i want to know also...
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, However as long as you are working out
    with your weight loss you should be fine
  • skbruewer
    skbruewer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Skins elasticity is different for each person. I wish I could give you a better answer, but don't stop working out and getting healthy just because you're not sure your tummy will look perfect.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I maxed out at 215 lbs and I'm 24, no kids. My stomach has MOSTLY gone back to where it should be if I had never been overweight. It's still not a washboard by any means, but its passable for a bikini. There's still some pooch above and below my belly button, but I can tell that has been shrinking over time and flattening out. I didn't really do anything special, kept hydrated and lost weight at a pretty reasonable pace (never more than 2 lbs a week, and I've been about the same weight since January). So, it is possible. I'm hoping it keeps getting better, but I'd never consider surgery to fix it at this point.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You'll be far better off than me - I have 3 kids. I use St. Ive's elasticity lotion and alot of it. I also do red light therapy at my gym and that seems to have improved it. Those are inexpensive options.
    I have also taken up running as I have slimmed down. That seems to have flattened my stomach the most. The constant giggling up and down of your tummy will help encourage new collagen growth as well.
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the truth on this matter... but here is an interesting site that I found that talks about "The Myth Of Loose Skin".... I hope he is right!

http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I maxed out at 215 lbs and I'm 24, no kids. My stomach has MOSTLY gone back to where it should be if I had never been overweight. It's still not a washboard by any means, but its passable for a bikini. There's still some pooch above and below my belly button, but I can tell that has been shrinking over time and flattening out. I didn't really do anything special, kept hydrated and lost weight at a pretty reasonable pace (never more than 2 lbs a week, and I've been about the same weight since January). So, it is possible. I'm hoping it keeps getting better, but I'd never consider surgery to fix it at this point.
    I currently weigh about 15 pounds more than your starting weight, so you've given me some hope, LOL. By all means, I don't really care about wearing a bikini or my stomach being COMPLETELY flat (I think small pouches are kinda cute!), I just don't want the skin hanging and dangly. :( Thanks for the info! :)
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    Now, does anyone know if I should do weight training BEFORE or after cardio?? I'm planning on changing up my workout routine for faster results. I usually do zumba in my living room.
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Not to discourage anyone, in fact, hope it's motivation if you are young. I am 51 and was obese for 25 years. My skin looks horrible after losing 178 pounds over two years through diet and exercise. My arms and legs bother me more than my torso, especially now that it's summer. My doctor told me cosmetic surgery is the only option, as I am very well toned muscle wise. She estimates that I could have 12-15 pounds of excess skin/flab removed, which would put me 10 lbs below goal weight. I am wearing a size 8/medium now but only because of the excess skin. I am saving up for the cosmetic procedures, expecting it to cost close to $20K.

So if you are still young, get rid of the pounds now!!
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the truth on this matter... but here is an interesting site that I found that talks about "The Myth Of Loose Skin".... I hope he is right!

http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

i just read most of this article, hope its true also, but what he's saying makes sense, I hear a lot of people say to do strength training with cardio and the slower you loose it the better.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You'll be far better off than me - I have 3 kids. I use St. Ive's elasticity lotion and alot of it. I also do red light therapy at my gym and that seems to have improved it. Those are inexpensive options.
    I have also taken up running as I have slimmed down. That seems to have flattened my stomach the most. The constant giggling up and down of your tummy will help encourage new collagen growth as well.

YES! I've been using that lotion as well! Its supposed to impove your skin's elasticity so I hope it works. I started using it last week, and I've seen a difference in terms of moisture retention and softness. And I slather this thing on like there is no tomorrow!

But to be honest, I'd rather have flabby skin, than die from a heart diesease because I was fat.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes I know someone who did a liquid diet and was dropping like 10 lbs a week. She used MSM 1000 tablets and some type of creams and lotions to keep from having sagging skin. Plus she drank a whole lotta water!! Now her body is tight and toned no access baggage. I just hope she can keep it off because losing weight that fast will bring it back twice as fast!
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    Yes I know someone who did a liquid diet and was dropping like 10 lbs a week. She used MSM 1000 tablets and some type of creams and lotions to keep from having sagging skin. Plus she drank a whole lotta water!! Now her body is tight and toned no access baggage. I just hope she can keep it off because losing weight that fast will bring it back twice as fast!
    10 pounds a week sound INSANE. haha I definitely won't be losing weight THAT fast!
    I'd like to give that elasticity lotion a try, though! This gives me hope!! :D