Do you still exercise when not well?

Options
I'm been feeling a bit run down the last few days, but have still been doing some exercise, feeling a little worse today (cold/flu symptoms) would like to do some exercise but feel lethargic.

Do you still try and do something, even if it's not your usual stuff or just wait until you feel 100% again?

Replies

• Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Depends. If I have a little cold, exercise can actually help a bit. Flu? Rest is your best option. Not sure? Listen to your body. Hope you feel better soon.
  • sittingduck180
    Options
    The wisdom I usually go by (and im not sure who said this) but if you feel it in your neck and up, keep working out, if its below the neck, you need to rest. I think neck down goes for body aches and neck up goes for cold symptoms/foggyness.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If I'm just a little sick and feel well enough to get out of bed and eat, going for a walk will often make me feel better. If I'm really feeling crappy working out usually just makes me feel worse. Listen to your body. It will tell you what you need to do.
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    I'd say a good 48hrs of real down time might be helpful. If it's anything serious you'll know for sure after the first 24hrs. If it's something minor the down time might help you rebound quicker. I also recommend taking something like EmergenC or Airborne to help with the symptoms. An added benefit is if its something more serious the EmergenC can help reduce your time being sick. I've tried generic and name brands of EmergenC with great results.

Feel better soon!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Thank for the replies guys.

Great advice...to listen to my body.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Funny...I was thinking about this earlier this morning. I felt pretty bad yesterday - splitting headache, stuffy nose, ear aches. I was supposed to run but I walked instead and it did make me feel better for a little while. I feel worse this morning though and DO NOT want to exercise. However, I teach water aerobics 6 days a week so I don't really have a choice, I guess. I usually try to do something else in addition to my class but I believe today I will teach class and that will be it. Probably need to give my body a chance to spend some of it's energy healing.

It won't kill you to take it easy for a day or two. There is value in pushing yourself a bit but I think we could all learn to listen to what your bodies need on any given day...and sometimes that is rest.