I think I am addicted to caffiene

Options
I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to stop drinking Pop. I think I have an addiction to it. I don't drink, smoke or anything like that but I have no problem drinking 3 or 4 cans of coke a day. I have tried to cut down so I can stop drinking it but I get severe headaches when I try. I have an underactive thyroid which makes me very tired and I honestly don't eat as well or as much as I should so I drink coke to caffinate myself and give me some energy and I know it is empty calories. I am really trying to make a change in my life but I don't know where to get started, I just joined this site last night and it looks pretty cool. Can anyone help?

Replies

• bzymummy
    bzymummy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to stop drinking Pop. I think I have an addiction to it. I don't drink, smoke or anything like that but I have no problem drinking 3 or 4 cans of coke a day. I have tried to cut down so I can stop drinking it but I get severe headaches when I try. I have an underactive thyroid which makes me very tired and I honestly don't eat as well or as much as I should so I drink coke to caffinate myself and give me some energy and I know it is empty calories. I am really trying to make a change in my life but I don't know where to get started, I just joined this site last night and it looks pretty cool. Can anyone help?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I would recommend cutting back gradually. I used to have a diet coke/coffee addiction.

I started cutting back backwards from bedtime. (bear in mind, this will involve some early bedtimes as your body adjusts). So, at first I said "no caffeine after 6 pm", then just moved my cut-off time up until it was noon.

Nowadays, I only have a cup of coffee in the a.m., and drink decaf if I have any more.

I quit the diet coke (I still have one but very rarely. . .) due to other health concerns.

Good luck, go slowly, and you can do it.:flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    If nothing else switch to diet. I'm addictied too, so I'm not much help.
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    When I have to stop something, i just stop. I did it with sweets two weeks ago and I have had anything since. I had a headache for two days and then nothing. It's called will power!! you can do it!:bigsmile:
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's addicted too, I guess it's pretty common - I would definitely like to hear any good suggestions too so I can pass them on!
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You really have two options:

1.) Cut down gradually
    2.) Cold turkey

Both have already been mentioned. You will likely get headaches for 3 days to a week... but then it'll go away. So, it may be a matter of just being strong and going for it.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If you quit cold turkey watch out for the headaches...no one warned me and i dont even drink a lot of pop...or so i t hought.... or switch to diet caff free... but pop if you must have have in limits...its bad for your stomach... and it makes you feel better if you dont' drink it.... good luck it wasnt easy for me:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • masonmst
    masonmst Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    byzmummy, I to once drank mt dew like it was the last thing on earth. I was drinking prob 12 pack a day and then 1 beside my bed at night. To make matters worse im a smoker (pack a day) (still). I was on blood pressure meds for a long time then I quit mt dew and started to workout more and guess what, blood pressure went down. Maybe 1 or 2 a day is a good way to start. Im still trying to get rid of the smokes. Good Luck
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Cutting out caffeine can be tough...I was addicted to coffee, couldn't go a day without it. You pretty much have to go cold turkey though...you'll suffer for a couple of days with a headache from caffeine & sugar withdrawl (unless you substitute for something with no caffeine). But once you stop, you'll notice that your headaches will go away once your body adjusts. Or you could just gradually cut back on your intake...if you drink 4 pops a day, cut out one for a week until you are used to that and than go down another one the next week and so on and so forth.

All the best to you!!!
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Another reason to quit drinking pop (of any kind... yes, including diet) is that it's been shown to reap calcium from the bones... we lose bone mass after 30 anyways... why speed it up!???? To help prevent bone mass loss cut the soda AND add in strength training to your workout regime.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Another reason to quit drinking pop (of any kind... yes, including diet) is that it's been shown to reap calcium from the bones... we lose bone mass after 30 anyways... why speed it up!???? To help prevent bone mass loss cut the soda AND add in strength training to your workout regime.

Yep, that was the kicker for me.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would help if you figured out how much real food you could eat in that amount of calories. If you are restricting your calories, 4 coke a day is 600+ calories that you don't get to eat because you are drinking them. Sometimes that helps me with the mind over matter thing.
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    I just went through this too! I tried cold turkey, and missed a day of work because the migraines were so bad. So its been almost 2 weeks, and I only drink 1 diet coke a day. I also have about 2 cups of green tea (with caffeine) it has helped move me from the soda, but keep a little caffeine to avoid the headaches. I am slowly drinking less and less.

Good luck!