Homemade LARAbars

Options
I'm not sure how many of you all eat these, but I *love* them. They're dairy free, soy free, gluten free and mostly raw. They are a little higher in fat/calories but they're so unprocessed that I can't resist. LARAbars are comprised of few ingredients: dates and other dried fruit/nuts. My favorites are coconut cream pie and peanut butter cookie. Sometimes I forget that I am eating something *healthy* when eating the peanut butter cookie bar because it tastes like cookie dough! DELICIOUS! However, starting at $1.39 per bar, these are not wallet friendly. So, I've decided to make my own!

All you really need for 1 bar is:

2 medjool dates, pitted
1 tbs add-ins

Pulse in food process until dates are completely mushy/paste-like, then add in your extras. Shape ball into a log, wrap in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and enjoy!

My favorite combo so far has been plain raw cashews. 182 calories, 4 grams of fat, 382 grams of potassium, 3.5 grams of fiber and 2 grams of protein. When I eat these, I forget alllll about dessert!

Replies

• onwardfatgirl
    Options
    I'm not sure how many of you all eat these, but I *love* them. They're dairy free, soy free, gluten free and mostly raw. They are a little higher in fat/calories but they're so unprocessed that I can't resist. LARAbars are comprised of few ingredients: dates and other dried fruit/nuts. My favorites are coconut cream pie and peanut butter cookie. Sometimes I forget that I am eating something *healthy* when eating the peanut butter cookie bar because it tastes like cookie dough! DELICIOUS! However, starting at $1.39 per bar, these are not wallet friendly. So, I've decided to make my own!

All you really need for 1 bar is:

2 medjool dates, pitted
    1 tbs add-ins

Pulse in food process until dates are completely mushy/paste-like, then add in your extras. Shape ball into a log, wrap in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and enjoy!

My favorite combo so far has been plain raw cashews. 182 calories, 4 grams of fat, 382 grams of potassium, 3.5 grams of fiber and 2 grams of protein. When I eat these, I forget alllll about dessert!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'll be trying this tomorrow.

And, for the record, I'll be adding cocoa powder and walnuts. . .mmmmmmm nom nom nom!

How do you think the PB cookie one works? A tbs of peanut butter? I'm going to try that, too.

Another favorite sweet tooth fix of mine is just plain dates with cinnamon sprinkled on them.
  • onwardfatgirl
    Options
    Oh, the peanut butter cookie is just 1 tbs of peanuts (I use dry roasted unsalted). You can add a little salt if you're so inclined, but I think it tastes just fine without. these are so good! Who knew dates could be so fulfilling?