NSV - One year of running

Options
EmilyV80
EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
A year ago next week I started the Couch to 5K program. I could hardly run a few minutes at 5.2 mph. Yesterday I ran 7.25 miles at an average speed of 6.05 mph! I never would have thought I could run for over an hour! I'm am really so proud of myself. I can't wait to visit my sister next month (who has been an avid runner for years) and have no trouble keeping up with her.

Replies

• Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! I am just at the point where I can run over a mile nd not feel like I'm going to pass out and I can still totally remember when just a minute made me want to die. Congrats!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    congratulations! I just ran 2 miles straight for the first time ever this past weekend...can't wait til I can run like you can!
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    You SHOULD be proud!! Thats awesome. I started running in October so I have a few months to go to reach my 1-year mark!!
  • ngolston
    ngolston Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, your NSV is inspiring! I started C25K in January of this year, and I'm still at it. Can't wait to see what a year brings!!! :) I don't mind being slow as dirt if I can keep going, lol!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    WONDERFUL! Keep it up! I am still working on getting myself to be able to run for any length of time or distance, I still have to stop to walk a little bit...
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome and inspiring! I am starting the C25K today and cant wait to hit that one year mark
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! You should feel proud and great, running doesn't come easy sometimes!!! WTG :)
  • SeaShell33
    SeaShell33 Posts: 141
    Options
    that is so awesome! Congratulations!!!!!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Emily, that is amazing. I've been running off and on for years, and I hit a brick wall at about 40 minutes. CONGRATULATIONS! And BTW, your photos are amazing. I'm a mom of 2 also, so I can relate.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! I started barely being able to do 1/2 a mile way back in college. Now I do a 10 K every year, have done 3-4 1/2 marathons and 1 full marathon.

This year's challenge is trying to do a short triathlon. The swimming part is like when I first started running. Baby steps.
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That's great! Let's see, 7 miles at a sub 10 minute pace....

Sounds like you might be ready for a half marathon!

Congratulations on your success.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Emily, that is amazing. I've been running off and on for years, and I hit a brick wall at about 40 minutes. CONGRATULATIONS! And BTW, your photos are amazing. I'm a mom of 2 also, so I can relate.

Funny there seems to be certain natural plateaus that you have to break through and then you make a lot of progress quickly. For me it is like 2 miles, 5 miles 10 miles. I usually scale back a lot during winter (because I hate running in the cold), and to some degree start building back up in early spring. I notice my body really starts tightening back up when I get back up to 5 miles and then after that it loosens back up.
  • dietnfit
    dietnfit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You are doing awesome.

I started running almost 2 years ago. I started in September of 2009 and completed my first 5k in October of 2009. In september of 2010, i complete my first full marathon (at the ripe old age of 40!!)

Running has taught me a lot about myself and has changed my perspective on many many different things. There are no more "I can'ts". "For I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!) Philippians 4:13
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've tried twice to start C25K. And both times it killed me.. I just cannot keep running for 1 minute.. The first week just kills me.. The thought of trying to run for 90 seconds the 2nd week, just keeps putting me off..

But reading all these posts is making me think maybe I should just keep at it..

I've done a week of the 30 day Shred and the 1st two days were a killer. Now on Day 8 and I'm looking forward to moving to the next level...

Maybe I'll just keep at Week 1 on the C25K for a while until I'm ready to move to the next week.. I'd love to be able to run. Never could though. I was a sprinter in school. Loved sprinting - but could never run any distance.. I'd push too hard at the beginning and then couldn't keep going the distance. So I concentrated on sprinting & was quite good at it..

So it seems most people do find it difficult at the start.. It's not just me.. Right - we'll give it another shot.. I am able to run.. I am able to run... I am able to run... I am able to run... I am able to run... ;)
  • TinaDay1114
    Options

Funny there seems to be certain natural plateaus that you have to break through and then you make a lot of progress quickly. For me it is like 2 miles, 5 miles 10 miles. I usually scale back a lot during winter (because I hate running in the cold), and to some degree start building back up in early spring. I notice my body really starts tightening back up when I get back up to 5 miles and then after that it loosens back up.
  • TinaDay1114
    Options
    Thank you bbbbb33333! That gives me some hope!!
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Well done. That is amazing. I am just about to start week 2 of C25K.
    Thank you for the inspiration.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! Keep it up!!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY inspiring for me :) I did my first measured 5k last night ...my goal was under 40 minutes and I finished in 38:32..I am 4 months in and I will be so very happy if I am anywhere near your level when I hit the 1-year mark. GREAT JOB!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!