How do you run for a cause?

Options
wewon
wewon Posts: 838 Member
I am scheduled for another 1/2 marathon this fall and instead of simply running for a PR or a shirt I would like to run for a cause like MS.

How do you go about doing that? Does it have to be sponsered by the race or do you go to the charity itself?

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Any help?
  • blowtotheskull
    Options
    Contact the charity directly :)
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you have a particular charity in mind you can go to their website and search through that.

You can also search for races in your area on active.com, they usually include any races sponsored by charities.

Good Luck!
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    Contact the local organization and tell them what you want to do. Then, usually, people set a "fundraising goal".

A few years ago I ran a 1/2 to benefit The Wellness Community of Delaware, which is a non-profit agency that offers free psychological support to people with cancer and their families. I did my internship there for my graduate degree. It's fabulous. Every year they do a "Strides for Hope" race where the team flies to a race and runs or walks. The individuals raise a large amount of money that covers travel costs, race entry, and the rest goes to the organization. I wasn't able to leave the state for it that year so I participated in the local 1/2 marathon. Same principle but since travel wasn't needed I had a lower fundraising goal to hit. I would collect money from coworkers or friends and then when I would go out to our Friday night karaoke, the DJ announced what I was doing and I collected money there too. It was fun and worthwhile. I liked it much better than doing it to do it.