Polar HRM - FT4 vs FT7

Famzav8
Famzav8 Posts: 97 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Of those of you who have tried these - what is the difference between the two models and what are your recommendations? A store in my town has them on sale right now and I'm getting tempted........

Replies

• harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    im not real sure, but i do know this: the ft4 you have to send back to the manufacture to have the batteries changed & the ft7 you can change the batteries yourself. i bought the ft7 & i LOVE it!!
  • evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Replying so I can see people's answers. I just ordered the ft4 myself.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    I have the Polar FT4 and love it. You just have more options on the FT7 but other than that they both work equally GREAT! :happy:
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    I have the FT4 and have found it does everything I want it to. The new model has the detachable computer from the chest strap, so the batteries are changeable, you don't have to send it back to the manufacturer. I didn't think it was worth the extra money for the FT7
  • evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    ps...The description for the ft4 I bought says it IS a user-replaceable battery.
  • satch45
    satch45 Posts: 126 Member
    The FT4 needs to be sent to the manufacturer for a battery replacement. The FT7 gives you the option to change the battery yourself.

-Russ
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    I have the FT7. I did some comparing, when I initially was looking for one, at polarusa.com The FT4 has a few less features and is a little less expensive, but for basic heart rate monitoring and calories burned they are pretty much the same, I only got the FT7 because I wanted a red one.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Is the 4 water proof/resistant? I have a feeling that might be another difference - but as general consensus here I don't know of anyone that has either and has been unhappy. I have the 7 & it's been brilliant.
  • skramer13
    skramer13 Posts: 70 Member
    I must have a newer FT4 - I have the option to change the battery myself. Also, the packaging and user manual says it's water resistant; you can use it in the water, you just can't push any buttons while you're doing so lest the water get in that way.
  • BradNC
    BradNC Posts: 51
    I have a newer FT4 (about 2 months). User replaceable batteries and waterproof to about 90ft (30m is the claim I believe). I scuba dive with it and it hasn't hiccuped yet (only to about 85ft). In my opinion, the FT7 just isn't worth the extra $.

Guess I shoulda done a bit more research, but I'm kind of miffed that the cable to download actual information off of them are so freaking expensive. I'd love to correlate heart rate with depth - but for that amount of money I guess I'm not that interested :)
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    I was told when I bought mine that on the FT7 you can save data more times. I have the FT4 and you can save it 10 times , the FT7 I think he said 30 times. I got told that was the only difference..
  • Famzav8
    Famzav8 Posts: 97 Member
    Thanks for all the awesome info everyone!!
This discussion has been closed.