WORKING OUT AND THROWING UP

Options
Im going to start up my exercise routine(again). How do I keep from throwing up the 1st couple times?

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Is this something that usually happens to you? I have never puked during a workout. I must be lazy.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I personally have never gotten sick while working out but I would say pace yourself and don't eat before :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Im going to start up my exercise routine(again). How do I keep from throwing up the 1st couple times?

The big thing is not to push yourself to hard at first. Ease into your routine.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Don't work so hard? :smile:

Seriously, if you are getting sick when working out then something is not right. Maybe going at it a little slower will help.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Don't push so hard. Learn to take a breather if you need it. Ease back into working out.
  • KSfitgal
    KSfitgal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Most importantly - I would consult your doctor since this is something that happens to you often. I would do that first before anything else.

I have never gotten sick working out during or after. I would think you are either eating to soon - have read you should wait 45 minutes after you have eaten to allow the food to do its job and digest before you work out. I know the other day I was a little nauseous but I had eaten to close to working out, and the sound of my knee popping and grinding made me feel ill. That doesn't happen usually.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I tend to feel ill and get dizzy when I don't focus on breathing during intense workout sessions. Lack of oxygen makes me dizzy, which makes me feel like throwing up. But I also make sure to eat a protein bar or something within 2 hours of working out, and then sipping (not chugging) water throughout the workout. I work with a personal trainer once a week and he always kicks my butt, sometimes too much. I just take a breather every 5 minutes and slow down if I'm really not feeling well.
  • missdune
    missdune Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've heard of top athletes (e.g. football players) working to the point of throwing up, but the average joes & jills? No reason for that. See your doctor and take it down a notch. I work myself pretty hard and I have never puked. Drink water but don't chug. Don't work out on a full stomach.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    My partner feels like he is going to throw up if he gets his heart rate too high, so the "don't work so hard" advice is actually good. What kind of workouts will you be doing? If you are running, walk about half the time. If you are doing aerobics, don't swing your arms as much as the instructor. If you are doing weights, use lighter ones...
  • JDLeckie
    JDLeckie Posts: 1
    Options
    Being nauseated during a hard workout is something that happens to me quite often :) We must have sensitive stomachs!
    I do not eat for at least an hour before a hard workout (especially in the heat). Try to avoid greasy or acidic foods. Be sure to hydrate, but don't guzzle your water either..that can come back up too :) Good luck!
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Whoa, it's concerning that you asked that like it was normal! lol. You shouldn't be throwing up from a workout...the only time I've EVER heard of that is when some of my friends went to boot camp for the military and were forced to work out until they were sick. You should take it down a notch or talk to your doc. Good luck!! :-)
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The best advice I got was
    1. Eat a very small amount before working out, a small apple or handful of raisins. Just enough good carbs to give you the energy you need.
    2. Be sure the room is not too warm. Crank that AC!
    3. Keep your mouth moist, but don't drink too much water at once
    4. Eat a good protein within 1 hour of working out

It works for me, and I hope it helps you too.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've never actually thrown up, but every once in a while, I'll get a momentary but overpowering sense of nausea. I stop and concentrate on my breathing for just a few moments until it passes, and then return to my workout.
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    In addition to the small meal advice, I've been told not to eat dairy before a hard workout as that can also cause vomiting. Not had an issue yet!

I also feel much better if I don't consume carbonated beverages any time around a workout!
  • dcornwe
    dcornwe Posts: 73
    Options
    I usally eat peanut butter on toast and have water before I work out, never diary. I have been told that my blood sugar drops rapidly while working out. It only happens the 1st couple work out then it seems to go away.

Thanks for the advice.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    This isn't that abnormal if you are pushing yourself HARD. I say take it slow the first week or 2. I have been working out for a long time and my last few workouts pushed me to the brink of puking but also keep in mind I am trying to up my max on everything by 10%.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I think you have to be careful what you eat before your workout and what kind of workout you do. If I eat too much before a workout, especially foods high in carbs (even fruits like apples) and do a workout involving ab or mat work I often feel like I'm gonna throw up. Now I try not to workout with an hour or 1.5 hours of working out and I'm careful of what I eat before.
  • TheDeviation
    TheDeviation Posts: 149
    Options
    I usally eat peanut butter on toast and have water before I work out, never diary. I have been told that my blood sugar drops rapidly while working out. It only happens the 1st couple work out then it seems to go away.

Thanks for the advice.
    How much time in between the water/toast & work out? Too much water will slosh around and give you that queezy feeling. For toast & PB, I'd make sure you give at least 30 minutes.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree, give yourself at least 30 minutes after eating. And try sipping the water, don't chug. I know if I chug even just a cup of water, I'll feel really bloated for up to an hour and have to walk it off.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter can cause some people to have a slightly upset stomach. Perhaps some fruit, instead?