sugar

Options
alexa137
alexa137 Posts: 68 Member
can someone please help me with my sugar intake? you can check my food diary, Im only on lunch and already over1 i thought i was doing really good by eating my fruits and veggies and no junk but it seems like im not getting anywhere!
really havent lost but 1 lbs in 2 months :(
thx

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    The morning coffee seems to be the one that puts you way over on your sugars. Maybe get it without sugar or half sugar instead.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Well, for starters, a banana is the only natural sugar you've logged so far today. So, if you are really going to watch your sugar intake, you have to drop/reduce all the other processed foods. (cereal bars & iced coffee is the same as eating a candy bar!)
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Wow yeah, if you can cut out the processed food and iced coffees you'll be fine. Try having some nuts and fruit instead. Even a normal coffee with a little bit of sugar is sooo much lower in sugar than that iced coffee.

I think if you look over your diary honestly you will see that you're not really getting much fruit and veg at all. All the Special Ks, alcohol, iced tea and coffees are your culprits. Sort them out and you'll be fine.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Just looked back at a few more days of your diary... I really think you would see some progress if you reduced all the processed foods that you eat and HEAVILY increase your intake of veggies and fruit! Be sure to drink lots of water, eat at minimum 25 - 20g fiber per day and eat lots of lean protein! Try not to eat less than 1200 calories each day.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    I went back seven days in your food journal and could only find one meal that had vegetables. You clearly have a sweet tooth. So do I but have managed it with fruit. I think the first thing you should do is cut as much of the processed foods out of your diet as you can, up your green vegetable content and eat more lean protein.

Greens and other calorie high fiber vegetables will help feel you up and provide the macro nutrients you are just not getting right now. Lean protein will help keep you satiated longer and reduce your sugar content.

Based on your diet, even with a multivitamin you are malnourished. You are just not getting enough of the nutrients that your body needs.
  • vegout2
    vegout2 Posts: 14
    Options
    Stop eating low fat and diet foods - to make them taste good they stuff them full of sugars which piles on the pounds. Eat more whole foods (standard cereals, raw fruits and veggies) and go for sustained release or low GI foods - these will be slower to release energy so you don't get the mid morning/afternoon slumps. Eating some protein and carbs at each meal is also something you should be aiming for. Try getting some books on good nutritions Ian Maber aka the food doctor explains really clearly how best to change your eating habits for life, plus the recipes are really easy to follow.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Sugar will not hinder weight loss other than the fact that foods high in sugar sometime correlate with being dense in calories. If you are counting calories properly and staying in a deficit, you will lose weight. I am assuming you're not diabetic or suffer from another metabolic disorder.
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    Eat all the sugar you want, as long as you stay below your calorie goal, unless you want to lose weight AND be healthy that is.
  • alexa137
    Options
    yea, thats a problem, i dont like many fruits or vegetables, only watermelon canteloupe and spinach and corn
    only ate the banana because i heard its good for menstrual cramps
    plus its kinda hard when you have a $25 a week grocery budget
  • alexa137
    Options
    thats the thing i dont have a sweet tooth! i dont eat chocolate or candy maybe once a month during the woman thing!
    dont eat chips either
    ive really changed diet alot but like right now im hungry so that defeats the purpose of working out at the gym!
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to find a way to try new foods. Limiting your veggies so much won't help you. Try introducing something new every now and then.

If you don't have a sweet tooth then cut all the sugary processed stuff out (but keep the bananas, don't worry about sugar from fruit).

Also I don't know what you mean by "right now im hungry so that defeats the purpose of working out at the gym!"... you still need to eat when you exercise – in fact, you need to eat more to fuel yourself. Don't starve yourself when you get in from the gym, your body needs it!

Sounds like you could do with getting a book that will start with the basics.

Good luck!