Eat - Workout or Workout - Eat?

Options
KnottyJen
KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
I am currently working out in the evening (as it's the only time of the day where I can fit it in). I usually get home from work around 5:30 and then make dinner. I chill for about an hour after eating and then workout.

Here's my question - is there any advantage/disadvantage to working out prior to/after eating dinner? I've found the few times where I worked out before dinner that I wasn't the least bit hungry when it came time to eat.

Just curious.

Replies

• ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Nah. Do whatever you feel most comfortable with.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I usually have a small snack before I work out, go workout and then eat a larger meal. I do it this way simply because I get sick to my stomach if I eat a big meal and then go workout (even if I wait an hour or two) I feel like I'm gonna throw up. I do way better on a nearly empty stomach. :)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Nah. Do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

^This!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a greek yogurt or string cheese about 30-45 minutes before the gym so that I have fuel to get through my workout. Then I eat dinner. But I'm hypoglycemic and I work out HARD so if I don't eat I'll get sick while I work out.
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I workout early in the morning or after work before dinner.
    That's just me I don't feel comfortable working out after I eat...I don't think it makes a difference but I'm not an expert.
    I think no matter when you do it, it doesn't matter, AS LONG AS YOU ARE DOING IT!
  • kristinwalker
    kristinwalker Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I learned in college sports (10 years ago) and read again in a magazine a few months ago that you should eat within 90 min before your workout. Something small to give yourself the proper energy to workout. If you workout longer than 45 min you need to rehydrate with a sport drink and if you do marathon running (etc) you can use gu packs or the like during a workout. But eating a larger meal (if your body can handle it) is better within 90 min of working out after because your metabolism is up from your workout. Your body will break it down quicker and burn it better.

Hope this helps!!! Good luck!
    Kristin
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    I'm usually hungry after a workout so I eat just a wee bit before hand (usually something in the carb department) and save the big meal for after (something with lots of protein.)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Any advantage would be a personal one. Do whatever works best for you.
  • beachbum13
    beachbum13 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have had this same question. No advantage. Sometimes I am really hungry after working out if I wait until after dinner I feel heavy and nausea when I run. If I wait too long I talk my self out of working out. Personal preference
  • supermom1114
    supermom1114 Posts: 577
    Options
    Someone recently asked this as well, but the thread fell back a few pages by now. Here is my response to them.

There is a lot of research and different findings on this. However, for the most part you should eat before and after working out. Have some kind of carb easily digested before you work out so you don't automatically rip into your glycogen stores, you'll be able to work out longer. Then afterwards it's important to eat something within 15-30 minutes, your body is in a prime state to absorb and use nutrients. Do something that combines both carbs and protein. Maybe a bagel with PB on it or apple with cheese, etc. In the end, what you eat, when you eat it, and how often comes down to your own experimentation. But I do firmly believe you should be eating something before and after to get your metabolism going, get some glucose in your blood to burn, and then refuel afterwards.

But to answer your specific question, there isn't any advantage to not eating before a workout. Some people will do it thinking that it will help with weight loss because they have lower blood glucose and therefore will have to start burning through glycogen and then fat sooner but in the end it's going to cause you to have a less effective workout because you will feel more sluggish. If you wanted to maybe pack a simple carb snack for the way home from work, then workout right when you get home and then eat, that wouldn't be bad. Especially if you like the fact that working out helps deter you from eating your whole dinner. But just make sure you do eat something after you workout to help you refuel and to fend off late night hunger. Another great advantage to working out around 530 or 6 is that about 3 1/2 to 4 hours after working out your metabolism is at it's lowest and thats a great time to fall asleep and let your body recover. So if you normally go to bed around 10ish then it sounds like you have a great plan.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    Actually there is advantage to eating your big meal after your workout. Whether it is strength training or aerobics (as long as you are getting your heart rate up to at least 150+) your MBR stays elevated for the next one to two hours. So if you can hold dinner to afterwards you will actually burn more of those calories than you would if you eat it before.

Personally I use the lunch hour but I get a latte about an 45-60 minutes before hand, an immediate protein shake after than eat a larger lunch about an hour later to take advantage of the increased MBR.

But at the end of the day you have to do what works for you. Personally, I have never been able to make an end of day workout program work for me. I prefer to get my endorphin rush earlier in the day to fuel my day.
  • mardavlais
    mardavlais Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Personally, I need fuel for my workouts.