Food scales - Too lazy?

Options
2»

Replies

• Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is so exciting! I am going straight to Target after work to buy a food scale. I always suspected that I needed one, I think my estimator is way off. Can't wait!!
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hubby just bought me a food scale last week! :) I've been estimating and trying to eye ball things right along, which is fine, but I want to KNOW that I'm accurate in my counts. I'm not paranoid about it - if we go out or go to a friends' house or what have you, estimating is fine for me. But for when I'm eating at home, even measuring out a cup of cottage cheese or anything, I want to KNOW I'm eating the right amount. I feel better about it that way, rather than over or underestimating everything all the time! :)
  • enchanted428
    Options
    weighing my food has definitely taught me a lesson on food portion. you could always just stare at a deck of cards and HOPE its right but wouldn't you feel better knowing your eating the right size/portion? Also, if you read the back of a cereal box it will say '3/4 cups OR 42 grams will equal 3 grams of fat and 100 calories' WELL if you measure it in a cup and then weigh it you will see weighing is MUCH more accurate!
  • pittielover23
    Options
    Uh, no. Measuring and weighing at home makes it so that you learn what portions are correct so that you CAN accurately eyeball things when you are out and about.

At home foods are not hidden with tons of extras like sodium or sauces or sugars so even if you measure at home and take that knowledge to a night out to what end?????

Being able to eyeball 1T or 1 cup worth of something at home or out is not the same if there is different ingredients or additives in it anyway.
    Obviously. I never said I thought what i ate out is the exact same as what I eat at home. But knowing what a cup looks like, and knowing what 4ozs looks like helps me to eat the correct amounts of foods when I am out instead of eating an entire plate of crap.

Hey, if not measuring works for people, great. Everyone needs to do what works for them. But measuring things at home is certainly not "crazy".
  • pittielover23
    Options
    LOL Pitt.....relax.
    Well, you probably shouldn't call people crazy for doing things that work for them. Just a suggestion.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh and measure. I am still learning what a "real" portion size is. When you go from eating half of a 16 inch pizza to 3 oz. of chicken that's quite a change! But, if your system is working for you then stick to it! Someday I may trust my eye to tell me, but that's not going to be anytime soon.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I just now started to weigh and measure my food out, after not doing it at all. I was eyeballing it, or just being lazy and not doing it. I haven't really lost much more weight in a long time, and so I needed to do something. It actually makes me feel like I am more committed to weight loss and fitness now by doing it.
  • frenchielover
    Options
    LOL Pitt.....relax.
    Well, you probably shouldn't call people crazy for doing things that work for them. Just a suggestion.

Wow Pitt...I believe I said it would be nuts to whip out a food scale at a fancy restaurant, not that you, Pitt, are nuts, or anyone else for that matter. Its a matter of opinion and I do believe I, like everyone else, am entitled to mine and can share it freely. It would probably be best for you and I to end this conversation as general comments are clearly highly offensive to you.
  • pittielover23
    Options
    There are a lot of people that do measure everything. Personally, I don't. Never have, never will. There are many visuals that you can use to get really close to the exact ounce. A deck of cards, the size of your fist....etc. I personally think its nuts and not needed. What....are you going to go to a bbq at a friends house or out to eat at a fancy restaurant and whip a food scale out of your purse? No! Or at least...I hope not. The stares would be hilarious........

So many items have the nutritional value on them anyways....its almost impossible to go miscalculate.
    Uh, no. Measuring and weighing at home makes it so that you learn what portions are correct so that you CAN accurately eyeball things when you are out and about.
    Sorry, you didn't call it crazy, you called it nuts. "There are a lot of people that do measure everything. Personally, I don't. Never have, never will. There are many visuals that you can use to get really close to the exact ounce. A deck of cards, the size of your fist....etc. I personally think its nuts and not needed.

Look, I am not offended, I am just saying that you may want to watch what you say about what works for oether people. If you don't want to measure and estimating all the time works for you, that is awesome. I just don't think measuring my portions at home is nuts.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    I am.

I usually estimate the foods I need to (and always over-estimate, just to be safe). Am I the only one not willing to weigh everything?

Also, is it bad that I over-estimate to err on the side of caution? I don't think the calories that may not actually exist will result in me eating too little to lose. I never have a huge deficit over my normal 500.

Thoughts?

I started out measuring and weighing everything, but now I just basically estimate it. For the time being, that's working out fine for me. If/when my weight loss becomes less regular, I'll revisit this decision.