How do I cook Spaghetti Squash?

Options
I want it to be stringy so I can put zuchini and sauce on it....

Replies

• sabes2631
    Options
    I want it to be stringy so I can put zuchini and sauce on it....
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I always cut mine length wise in half (remove seeds with spoon) and bake cut side down in the oven.

I bake mine at 350 degree for about 45 minutes (until you can easily insert a fork into it).

Let cool a few minutes and remove flesh with a fork et voila!!

I love spaghetti squash!! :flowerforyou:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    http://finedinings.com/zucchini_spaghetti.htm

1 medium sized green zucchini squash
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    fresh basil or arugula leaves, sliced 1/4-inch

Trim ends of zucchini; use a mandoline with a 1/8-inch wide tooth blade and slice zucchini lengthwise making long julienne strands. Separate the strands, they will resemble pasta.

Put julienne zucchini in a bowl, add lemon juice, salt and pepper. Twirl small amounts of zucchini spaghetti onto a long-tined fork, slip off onto serving plates piling up as high as possible, garnish with basil or arugula leaves and serve with a main entree.
  • njksharp
    njksharp Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just cut mine in half and put in a microwave safe bowl take out the seeds add alittle water to the bottom and microwave it for about 8-12 minutes depending on the size and then scrape it out with a fork :)
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I micro mine--cut in half, scoop out seeds. Takes about 8-10 minutes or so for 1/2 a medium.

While the squash is cooking, I saute some fresh sweet onions and fresh chopped garlic cloves in a small amount olive oil with pepper and oregano. After the squash is done, I throw it in the pan with the garlic and onions for a minute, mixing together well and throwing a little bit more oil on it. Total oil used is 1 tablespoon.

YUMMMMY!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    *furiously scribbling down recipes to try later*

Thanks guys! :drinker:
  • gymmom
    Options
    You can also do the speedy version in the microwave. You'll need a glass baking dish (that will fit in your micro!). Just cut in half, scoop out seeds, put cut side down in glass dish w/ a little water...1/4 of a cup or so should do it. Cover w/ microwave safe plastic wrap and cook full power. Try about 5 minutes and check it...it will take longer, but you can tell if it's starting to soften. Basically you're steaming it.
    You can also cut in chunks and steam on the stove in pot w/ steamer basket.
    I love it with my own marinara...just a large can of crushed tomatoes simmered with seasonings...basil, oregano, italian seasoning, garlic, mushrooms, etc.
    This version has NO fat, but lots of flavor!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Where were you all yesterday-I tried cooking it for the first time yesterday. Used the micro added garlic salt and pepper a little butter spray - it was not good. I threw the rest away - maybe I'll try again. It was a bit crunchy so I am thinking maybe not done enough??
  • shorerider
    Options
    If you don't cook it long enough, it can be "crunchy".
  • suzitto
    Options
    can you get spaghetti squash right now at the grocery? Like walmart?
  • shorerider
    Options
    It's available around here in all the stores right now. There's no Wally World near me, so don't know about them.
  • suzitto
    Options
    Ok, you are in VA, so they should probably be available here in TN too!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    can you get spaghetti squash right now at the grocery? Like walmart?

I dunno. I can't remember seeing it at my local Walmart, but I just may have to run to a "real" grocery store (aka grocery $tore :wink: ) to grab one and try it.