Thoughts on cheese?

Options
Cheese is one of my favorite foods, but lately some people have told me that between the dairy and fat, it will wreak havoc on your diet. Do you guys think cheese is really that bad??

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I say it it okay in moderation. Try looking for low-fat cheese :)
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Cheese is nom-tastic!! It has calcium, protein, lots of good stuff - I eat cheese every day. Sure, it's calorie-dense, but enjoy it as long as you make room for other nutritious foods. Not "bad" imo, not at ALL!
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have ranch dressing.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation (in my world at least.) I'll eat it to supplement dairy *and* protein - it's a double winner that way. Just gotta watch the portion sizes, because they can sneak up on you. ;)
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I snack on light string cheese and laughing cow light wedges are awesome! They come in different flavors..yum! If I make a sandwich I use lower sodium or reduced fat.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'd rather DIP cheese in ranch! kater8er, why pick one?!!
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with cheese if you don't have an intolerance to dairy.

You can eat as much as you want so long as you are within your caloric limit and still getting ample protein.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd be able to cut down on cheese. Once I realized how much other stuff I could eat if I gave up the cheese calories, I started to cut down. Now I almost never eat cheese and surprisingly don't even miss it.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Cheese is one of my favorite foods, but lately some people have told me that between the dairy and fat, it will wreak havoc on your diet. Do you guys think cheese is really that bad??

Cheese rocks, just be sure to measure your portions. I love it!

Kris
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love cheese as well and have been considering trying a low-fat brand so that I can eat more of it! Anyone have a tasty low-fat cheese recommedation for us cheeseheads?
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd be able to cut down on cheese. Once I realized how much other stuff I could eat if I gave up the cheese calories, I started to cut down. Now I almost never eat cheese and surprisingly don't even miss it.

Teach me your ways!!!!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with imakimm. I love cowpals light string cheese and laughing cow wedges!!!
    You can even use the laughing cow wedges in your dinners (stuffed chicken), not just for snacks.

Cheese has protein. Moderation. It's cool I say. I LOVE cheese. :love:
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You do have to be careful, cecrawfo. Sometimes people treat dairy animals really badly. Also, cheese can have a lot of artificial things in it, which is really bad. I usually make my own, so I know what's in it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm - cheese

I agree, watch your portions and go with low fat. Everyone's got their opinions on what's bad for you and what's good for you...if we listened to all that chatter, we couldn't eat anything!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    To be honest, when I first started seriously losing weight and getting fit, I cut out cheese almost entirely (except for free days). But I have reincorporated it now. If it fits into your overall calories/macros, then go for it. Just be mindful of the big picture.
  • ashleigh2311
    ashleigh2311 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I usually make my own, so I know what's in it.

you make your own cheese?!
  • BrattyLori
    BrattyLori Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think about cheese a lot. I dont think its the evil monster people make it out to be. I DO weigh it and I try to stick to 1 oz a day. I love me some cheese!
  • Dahlface13
    Dahlface13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Cheese can be totally good for you. The fat and calories, when not overdone, are "good" fat and calories with lots of benefits that have already been mentioned.

My favorite portion-monitoring cheese products are:
    Mini Babybel cheese cuz they are pre-portioned, yummy, have a low-fat version, and even the full fat version is only around 60 cals
    Laughing cow wedges cuz they are also pre-portioned and great for spreading on stuff (like whole grain crackers)
    100-calorie packs of cheese cubes

Yay cheese!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese almost daily... my husband and I go through a huge bag of shredded cheese in about two weeks..

it hasn't hindered my weight loss efforts at all..

Just make sure of two things

portion size: one serving is 1/4 cup and its 120 calories or so.

and

Intake: it can constipate you like crazy... who wants that. lol hahah
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I still have cheese on a fair few things, less in sandwiches and stuff, but still on pasta and baked dishes. What I think has worked though is that I use a really tiny grater. Like almost Microplane tiny. You can grate a whole pile of cheese and it looks like loads but it's really only a few grams so it goes a lot further for half as many calories :)