Where do I start?

Options
Hi all....I have a treadmill at home and have been using it for the past week or so. But, I'm not sure how fast / what incline I should be using and if I am pushing myself enough. Are there any guidelines? How do I know if what I'm doing is enough or too much? Thanks so much!

Replies

• HealthierIn2011
    Options
    I try to stay between 3.5-4.0mph on the treadmill, on days I really want to beat myself up I raise to 10 degree incline other days I keep it around 5.
  • 21katykat01
    Options
    It depends on your fitness and activity level. If you're jogging/running and this is new to you, keep the incline at 1 (outside world isn't flat so this is kinder to your joints) and whatever speed you feel comfortable at. Push yourself, but if you're feeling dizzy or naseous you're doing too much and you should ease off a bit.

You should also try for at least three times a week. Be mindful of any injuries - you don't want to make any you get worse! - but keep positive :) Build things up gradually and you'll be just fine!

xo
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Does it have a weight loss option? For the weight loss option on mine, it was more focused on starting out slower, then speeding up, the slowing down, then speeding up more, that kind of thing. There were a couple intervals where the incline went up a bit. When I was doing treadmill regularly, with out the presets, I first started out at 2 to warm up a bit, then I just increased it by .5. This was all while walking.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hi all....I have a treadmill at home and have been using it for the past week or so. But, I'm not sure how fast / what incline I should be using and if I am pushing myself enough. Are there any guidelines? How do I know if what I'm doing is enough or too much? Thanks so much!

I'll answer the question very general... First thing you need to do is find your lactate acid threshold. Abbreviated LT... There are "generally" 2 zones. Your aerobic zone (aerobic means with oxygen), anerobic zone (with out oxygen), Right in between, it's your lactate threshold.

Don't know where you're starting out, if you know how to take your heart rate, if you're in shape or not. So this is how you find your lactace threshold, you warm up... then you start walking at an easy pace. Every minute you increase the speed. You talk to yourself or outload, paying attention to your breathing... Once you're talking becomes difficult... take note of your pulse at that moment. Rest, then repeat the exercise. Do this 3 times. Once that is done, you find the average. You add up all 3 numbers and divide the total by 3. That is your LT.

You "SHOULD" be able to do 40mins BELOW your LT heart rate. If you can't...That is your first goal. Be able to do 40mins below your LT.

If you CAN already do this. Run AT your LT for 20-40mins. You will never be running at your LT exactly. So from your LT you subtract 10, and add 10... for example, if your LT is 150beats per minute (your heart rate), exercise in between 140 - 160bpm.

Start at 20mins running at your LT 4 times a week. Slowly increase the time till you're at 40mins. Once you hit that number, you can add 1 day more of exercise a week.