Any vegeterians about?

Options
I can use some recipe ideas from vegetarians. I eat milk, cheese etc., but not eggs, fish or meat. Anyone in similar boat. I am pretty bored with oats for breakfast.

Replies

• Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan. I rarely ever eat breakfast, just coffee. If I do, though, I will have quinoa oatmeal and throw in some blueberries. Quinoa is really high in protein and considered a superfood.
  • Living_Dead_Girl
    Options
    Do you eat Quorn? I have the Quorn cookbook and it's full of lovely, tasty, easy and quick recipes!
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    Greek yogurt, lentils, beans, "fake" meat, cottage cheese, cheese.. string cheese is a really good snack.
  • sonbeam
    sonbeam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Scrambled Tofu is really good. Add me as a friend and I can send you the recipe if you would like.
  • Monkeymin
    Monkeymin Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, I vary my breakfasts, sometimes I have coco pops, sometimes a slice of toast and some jam. Not the most exciting of breakfasts. How about fruit salad? with some Granola.
  • washik
    washik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree Greek yogurt and fresh fruit is a great breakfast..
  • Count210
    Count210 Posts: 2
    Options
    Do you eat Quorn? there are loads of great recipes on their website, that can be tailored to lower fat options or veggie things you don't particularly like - celery in my case.
    The BBC food website also has some great ideas.
    X

Sorry - just seen the other Quorn Fan post above! Love the stuff!
  • Debsxxx
    Debsxxx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'm vegetarian - and eat loads of quorn stuff which is quite low fat. I cook spaghetti bolognaise with the quorn mince, and all the family eat it and they aren't all veggies!

Add me if you like! :flowerforyou:
  • Debsxxx
    Debsxxx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'm vegetarian - and eat loads of quorn stuff which is quite low fat. I cook spaghetti bolognaise with the quorn mince, and all the family eat it and they aren't all veggies!

Just realised - hope you don't all think I eat spag bol for breakfast!! ha ha!
  • Monkeymin
    Monkeymin Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Just realised - hope you don't all think I eat spag bol for breakfast!! ha ha!

hahaha, I was thinking maybe you were eating leftovers.
  • barbiegirluk
    barbiegirluk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    I do eat quorn: but I have to say I am not fan of fake meat considering the processes it might involve in getting that meat like texture.
    I am Indian Vegetarian, so grew up on veggie food so lunch/dinner are not that bad, but Indians (at least as far as I am aware) are not big breakfast eaters. So I am quite confused, I try to vary cereal/oats but want to experiment with 'breakfast like queen, lunch like rich and dinner like poor'. But it's difficult to prepare something in the morning when you are rushing around to work.
    Greek yoghurt with fresh fruits sounds yum!
  • bununu
    bununu Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I basically eat it all day at my house. But without eggs, this may be a little tough to give advice on.

1. SCRAMBLED TOFU! The trick is to season the hell out of it and add a little (soy/almond) milk for moisture. Salt, cayenne, old bay, basil, cajun seasongs-- whatever you like! Sometimes I add a tad of oatmeal to give it a little more texture.

2. COTTAGE CHEESE! Everyone acts like it's terrible, but I swear by fat free cottage cheese. It tastes so good to me. I either eat it with fruit and honey or I may it savoy by whipping it with basil and garlic salt.

3. TOTAL CEREAL! As a vegetarian, you are probably missing out on key vitamin and nutrients. Total claims to provide 100% of the RDA of iron and B12. My doctor told me I was on the path to anemia as a vegetarian unless I got my act together. After that, I started eating Total all the time.

4. GREEK YOGURT. A little honey is a MUST. Fruit is optional.

5. STEEL CUT OATS. More iron than regular oatmeal.

6. FRUIT FRUIT FRUIT.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm veg but I eat eggs not cow's milk. Have you tried quinoa for breakfast? I add almond milk, dried cranberries. Do you eat yogurt? 0%Greek yogurt that you add your own fruit and toppings to is pretty filling.
  • allywilkes
    allywilkes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like all sorts of things as breakfast foods (as well as the obvious ones).

(1) Miso soup with sticky rice and pickles, maybe a side portion of egg omelette.

(2) Breakfast burrito with quorn or TVP mince, sauteed peppers and spinach and either guacamole or salsa.

(3) Lentil soup with tomatos stirred in and pitta bread to dip.

(4) Omelette with mixed veggies.

Also there's muesli with yoghurt and banana, cottage cheese on ryvita with fresh fruit salad, smoothie with whey or soy protein... all sorts of breakfast things.

Also quinoa porridge for breakfast is awesome, I make mine with flaked almonds, cinnamon and sultanas.
  • allywilkes
    allywilkes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also any leftovers from the night before are fair game - I love a good portion of spicy daal with naan bread, and maybe some spinach to stir into it so it wilts as you eat it... yum. (I see you are Indian veg, I ate this almost every day I was in India... particularly for breakfast!)
  • BlissfulYoga
    BlissfulYoga Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm Veg...always looking to meet other veggie-heads!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Tofu scrambles and oatmeals are kind of my staples...I know you said you'd like to steer clear of oatmeal, but you can make a porridge out of almost any whole grain...I use brown rice when I'm out of oats with a little agave and some fruit...it's delish!
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    Im a vegetarian:) Lately I've been loving "green monster shakes" for breakfast

one handful of spinach
    tablespoon of chia seeds
    one banana
    1/2 cup frozen mango
    1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt
    1/2 cup soy milk
    ----throw it all in a blender...and enjoy the lovely green mishmash lol!

I swear you can't taste the spinach at all!! They are so yummy!

Another favorite breakfast of mine is toast with mashed up avocado on top, with chia seeds sprinkled on top.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Experimenting with vegetarianism - going to try some of these treats tomorrow. Thanks! :smile: