How long should I wait to work out after eat?

Options
tlerias
tlerias Posts: 17 Member
First off, i'm new to MFP, so feel free to add me as a friend :)
Second, I usually wait two hours, is that too long? For example, I just had a snack - a cup of pineapples, but I plan on attending my fitness class in two hours from now. What do you think?

Replies

• Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know myself! I hate when I run and end up getting side cramps! D:
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I like to wait 3 hours after I eat a full meal before I work out. If I am doing something intense, then I may have a snack a little before to put more carbs into my body.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual and what and how much you ate...

I usually will have a small portion of carbs and a protein shake pre-workout... I'm good to go in about 30-45 mins.

If I had like a big piece of steak or chicken... I wouldn't dare going for at least a couple hours
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    1/2 to 1 hour on average. I try not to do it after that because then your body has no fuel in your stomach to run on. I prefer to burn off all that I just ate then not.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

FYI:

exercisers who have not yet established proper pacing and who tend to breathe more quickly and shallow tend to be more prone to side stitches (Side Cramps). However, about 30% of all runners will experience stitches at some point. What exactly causes them? On inhalation, we take air into the lungs, pressing the diaphragm downward. When we exhale, the diaphragm moves up. If the body has some trapped air/gas below the diaphragm, if we've eaten too close to exercise, or if we start exercising too vigorously, the diaphragm may cramp, causing pain under the rib cage on the right side.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I usually wait 1- 1 and a half hours after eating before I workout. It depends on the individual though, some people can wait 3 hours but for me i'd be really hungry mid workout. I also can't go after 30 mins unless it was just a small snack, I would feel too full.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

FYI:

exercisers who have not yet established proper pacing and who tend to breathe more quickly and shallow tend to be more prone to side stitches (Side Cramps). However, about 30% of all runners will experience stitches at some point. What exactly causes them? On inhalation, we take air into the lungs, pressing the diaphragm downward. When we exhale, the diaphragm moves up. If the body has some trapped air/gas below the diaphragm, if we've eaten too close to exercise, or if we start exercising too vigorously, the diaphragm may cramp, causing pain under the rib cage on the right side.
    Oooohhhh, that explains it. :o