Healthy Egg Nog Recipe

Options
shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
This time of year, my thoughts would have normally began to turn to Egg Nog! I LOVE EGG NOG! I used to drink it by the quart. :sick:

Now, no more Egg Nog for me, or so I thought until I found these recipes! I have made the first that you "cook" and it is DELICIOUS! I will be making room in my daily foods for this special treat!

I used Soy Milk (supposed to drink that every day anyway for my pre-men).

Recipe for Diet Holiday Eggnog, the Best Diet Eggnog in the Village

6 cups of skim milk

1 cup of Egg Beaters (or your favorite comparable product)

Sweetener to taste (Use the pink stuff, the blue stuff, the yellow stuff AND if you use the real stuff, be sure and measure carefully and remember to count those added calories! Real sugar will blow up anyone except ants when used in high quantities!)

2 teaspoons of real vanilla extract (Rub a little behind your ears and live a little!)

2 teaspoons of rum extract

Ground nutmeg and cinnamon (or you can use a bit of pumpkin pie spice)

Heat the milk, Egg Beaters and sweetener in the microwave on high until thickened, stirring every minute or so. You can also use your stove if you prefer. Remove from microwave or stovetop and stir in the remaining ingredients. Next, cover the mixture very tightly with plastic wrap and chill. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg and cinnamon if desired. You can even add a dollop of nonfat, sugarfree topping for an added treat!

This recipe for Holiday Egg Nog makes about six – eight ounce servings for about 100 calories each. Be sure and leave some out for Santa along with your plate of holiday lowfat cookies. As he'll be making lots of stops on Christmas Eve, he'll appreciate this light, non-fattening treat! Who knows, he may even leave some very special in your stocking!
Egg nog is thick, delicious and packed with calories. At least, the store-bought versions usually are. But you can make a healthy, creamy eggnog with this easy recipe. (Be forewarned: It takes just minutes to prepare, but hours to refrigerate). Then take some time to sit back and enjoy this holiday treat during the sometimes-hectic season.
(Makes three 8-ounce servings)
Ingredients
1/2 cup egg substitute
2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup fat-free creamer
2 tbs sugar substitute
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp nutmeg, cinnamon, or pumpkin spice
Alcoholic version: 2 tsp rum extract; or 2 tbs rum, brandy, or bourbon (or to taste)
Directions
Pour ingredients into a container, mixing until thickened.
Cover egg nog and allow to chill for at least 2 hours.
Serving Ideas
Top each glass of eggnog with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg on top or add a dollop of fat-free, sugar-free whipped topping.

Number of Servings: 3

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 3
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 156.1
Total Fat: 6.5 g
Cholesterol: 18.8 mg
Sodium: 177.3 mg
Total Carbs: 11.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.1 g
Protein: 11.9 g

Replies

• shorerider
    Options
    This time of year, my thoughts would have normally began to turn to Egg Nog! I LOVE EGG NOG! I used to drink it by the quart. :sick:

Now, no more Egg Nog for me, or so I thought until I found these recipes! I have made the first that you "cook" and it is DELICIOUS! I will be making room in my daily foods for this special treat!

I used Soy Milk (supposed to drink that every day anyway for my pre-men).

Recipe for Diet Holiday Eggnog, the Best Diet Eggnog in the Village

6 cups of skim milk

1 cup of Egg Beaters (or your favorite comparable product)

Sweetener to taste (Use the pink stuff, the blue stuff, the yellow stuff AND if you use the real stuff, be sure and measure carefully and remember to count those added calories! Real sugar will blow up anyone except ants when used in high quantities!)

2 teaspoons of real vanilla extract (Rub a little behind your ears and live a little!)

2 teaspoons of rum extract

Ground nutmeg and cinnamon (or you can use a bit of pumpkin pie spice)

Heat the milk, Egg Beaters and sweetener in the microwave on high until thickened, stirring every minute or so. You can also use your stove if you prefer. Remove from microwave or stovetop and stir in the remaining ingredients. Next, cover the mixture very tightly with plastic wrap and chill. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg and cinnamon if desired. You can even add a dollop of nonfat, sugarfree topping for an added treat!

This recipe for Holiday Egg Nog makes about six – eight ounce servings for about 100 calories each. Be sure and leave some out for Santa along with your plate of holiday lowfat cookies. As he'll be making lots of stops on Christmas Eve, he'll appreciate this light, non-fattening treat! Who knows, he may even leave some very special in your stocking!
    Egg nog is thick, delicious and packed with calories. At least, the store-bought versions usually are. But you can make a healthy, creamy eggnog with this easy recipe. (Be forewarned: It takes just minutes to prepare, but hours to refrigerate). Then take some time to sit back and enjoy this holiday treat during the sometimes-hectic season.
    (Makes three 8-ounce servings)
    Ingredients
    1/2 cup egg substitute
    2 cups skim milk
    1/2 cup fat-free creamer
    2 tbs sugar substitute
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp nutmeg, cinnamon, or pumpkin spice
    Alcoholic version: 2 tsp rum extract; or 2 tbs rum, brandy, or bourbon (or to taste)
    Directions
    Pour ingredients into a container, mixing until thickened.
    Cover egg nog and allow to chill for at least 2 hours.
    Serving Ideas
    Top each glass of eggnog with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg on top or add a dollop of fat-free, sugar-free whipped topping.

Number of Servings: 3

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 3
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 156.1
    Total Fat: 6.5 g
    Cholesterol: 18.8 mg
    Sodium: 177.3 mg
    Total Carbs: 11.6 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.1 g
    Protein: 11.9 g
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    ooooooo:tongue: I luvvvvvv egg nog!!! Thanks for the recipe!:drinker: :drinker:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    "2 TBS rum/brandy" pffffftttt....:laugh:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    "2 TBS rum/brandy" pffffftttt....:laugh:

yea....what the heck??? My Egg nog is never going to be healthy......unless killing your liver is ever considered healthy......:laugh:

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    Thanks! This is great... I am a big eggnog fan too, and I was dreading having to give it up!
  • shorerider
    Options
    I don't drink (anymore), so I didn't put in the rum. But I did see some "imitation rum extract" at the store that I almost tried. Maybe next time--no alcohol but was supposed to have the "rum" taste.

I let this sit in the frig for 3 hours and tried it really chilled--oh my gosh! It's great!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    YAYYYYY

OMG Shore I LOVE LOVE LOVE egg nog!!! I'm so excited you posted this!! :love:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Actually, all I ended up putting in mine was soy milk, imitation vanilla, and Egg Beaters. Here's the nutritional break-down for what I made. I didn't include the imitation vanilla as that was a negligible amount.

Items In This Meal Calories Carbs Fat Sodium Fiber Protein
    Nature's Promise - Soy Milk-Organic Plain, 6 cup 540 60 21 960 12 36
    Food Lion - Egg Beaters, 1.5 cup 120 6 0 690 0 36

Total: 660 66 21 1650 12 72

I made a lot of it!

But, I figure to only have 1.5 cup each time, so divide these figures by that and you get per 1.5 cup serving of

Calories Carbs Fat Sodium Fiber Protein
    165 17 5 413 3 18

Not really "great" in healthy areas (particularly sodium wise) but close enough for me! And DEFINITELY WORTH EVERY CALORIE!

Of course, you could get low-fat soy milk and pretty much eliminate the fat if you wish.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I love Egg Nog also thank you.

44118.png

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: