good vs. bad calories?

bostongirl987
bostongirl987 Posts: 104 Member
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
...is there such thing? does it matter what i eat so long as it does not surpass my needed caloric intake?

Replies

• bostongirl987
    ...is there such thing? does it matter what i eat so long as it does not surpass my needed caloric intake?
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Good calories = a pile of fresh veggies with lo-cal ranch for dipping.
    Bad calories = a Hersheys chocolate bar.

Good calories = A baked potato with fat free sour cream = 150 cals.
    Bad calories = A 99cent grab bag of salty, greasy potato chips = 150 cals.

The idea is that you will get more 'bang for your buck' if you steer clear of empty calories, such as the kind you find in chocolate, or potato chips, that do nothing for your overall HEALTH.
  • bostongirl987
    thanks! i know you'll feel more full with good calories, but will you gain more weight with bad ones?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I know that 1200 calories is 1200 calories, no matter what.

When I 1st started I ate 1200 'bad' calories, my cholesteral level was 267:sick:

Now with clean 'good' 1300 calories my cholesteral is 207:bigsmile:

(triglycerides are now 1/2!)

:heart: So YES it does make a difference. It is like putting old oil into your engine. The fresh clean stuff makes it run sooooooo much better.:heart:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    thanks! i know you'll feel more full with good calories, but will you gain more weight with bad ones?

Eventually you will. If you do not change your eating habits, you will gain back all the weight you lost. I have done this over and over again. Restricted calories, but not changed my thought process on what goes into my body.

But 1200 calories is still 1200 calories. So if you only eat one double quarter pounder with cheese a day for 1200 calories you will still lose weight. You will be miserable, but you will lose weight.:laugh:
  • There is DEFINITELY a difference in good vs bad calories. Primarily, this is for your overall health- someone else mentioned cholesterol, but it also aids in helping your body fight off disease. Additionally, if you're eating a bunch of sugary, packaged foods, your body will store it differently than it would veggies or whole grains and might defeat your whole weight loss plan.

Someone else mentioned this, but ultimately, this should be a lifestyle change that you can stick with. I very highly doubt that you could maintain a low caloric intake with bad foods and feel good on a regular basis.
This discussion has been closed.