Is it bad to eat the same thing everday?

Options
Eating healthier has been a toll on my budget. So I decided to choose the cheapest healthy route and I have been eating the same breakfast, lunch and dinner meal every single day. Could there be a drawback in some way if I continue to do this? I've been doing it for a month now and I actually feel fine. (minus a couple cheat days)

edit: You guys are welcome to take a look at my journal if you want to see where I can change some of the meals.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/paperboyfabe

Replies

• KathreneW
    KathreneW Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i do the same thing. I have the same thing for lunch everyday. i dont see in harm in it, except maybe it gets boring.
    I would like some insight on the subject as well.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I have about 5 things I eat. The main thing is your macros; protein, fat, and carbs. If your getting some of each and they are high quality, you're good to go.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting the proper nutrients for your body then I don't see why it should be a problem
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    As long as your meals are well balanced, it shouldn't be an issue. My only concern would be if there are nutrients, vitamins, etc that those meals are missing, you could accidentally deprive your body of something it needs, like iron or magnesium. Of course, you could just take multivitamins and probably be fine.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    As long as you are well balanced and getting proper nutrients you should be ok, but come on, you need to lighten up. Healthy eating can be enjoyable, check out my diary. This is from the same lady that eats nearly the same thing for breakfast every day. LoL
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I will frequently do this. It's like I find something I really like and then eat it til I can't stand to look at it anymore. The point I get to where I can't stand it anymore is in direct relationship to having just bought a S*#t Ton of it. :laugh:
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    take a multivitamin
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I eat the same thing every day for breakfast. Then I go where I will be hokked on a certain foor for... dinner, or lunch. It comes and goes. like the kids I guess.
  • ksr5000
    ksr5000 Posts: 19
    Options
    I see this as a completely person decision. I will agree with above the posters above have said, as long as you're getting proper nutrients you should be fine. I think where the bad may come into play is for people who may not have great discipline. Eating the same thing everyday may get boring which may cause more and more cravings for unhealthy things.

For what its worth, I ate the pretty much the same thing everyday with tiny changes (a different veggie at dinner, a different flavor oatmeal in the morning, etc) for the first 3-4 months of my journey and have been very successful. I only recently started changing it up and even now I stick with pretty much the same core foods in each meal.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I will frequently do this. It's like I find something I really like and then eat it til I can't stand to look at it anymore. The point I get to where I can't stand it anymore is in direct relationship to having just bought a S*#t Ton of it. :laugh:

I do the EXACT same thing. I am not that big on food, which is puzzling since I have such trouble with it. I like to know the calories in what I am eating, I like it to be quick and easy to make and eat. I don't eat things I don't like, I just tend to get stuck on a food for months, then I won't touch it for months.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I kind of do that for lunches at work because my budget is limited. I buy groceries every week for four of the five adults that live at my house, and I cook dinner for them too, so that kind of varies on who is making dinner, and what we have, I just try to keep it simple most of the time.
    As time goes on you will find other things that are healthy that you can afford, I've been completely stuck where you are too. Just stick with it. :happy:
  • LeeLeeTunk
    LeeLeeTunk Posts: 84
    Options
    I do for Breakfast.

Its hard to switch it up. Walking in grocery stores is like a sea of calories!
  • webbed1
    webbed1 Posts: 86
    Options
    No and yes and NO.

Fast food works (sells tons, gets people fat) because of convenience and simplicity of selection. Why not employ that strategy to eat your way to a fitter, healthier, and better looking you?

BUT: lack of diversity can derail you too. NOT A PROBLEM. Meal plan A, Meal plan B, variations, etc. Rotate stuff. Successful people don't quit doing shi* that makes them successful simply because it is repetitious. They keep repeating the stuff that made them successful!

Asian peoples prior to beginning to consume western foods were quite content and quite fit with a very regular selection.

The problem with Americans is TOO MUCH FOOD AVAILABLE, TOO MANY POOR CHOICES AT THEIR FINGERTIPS, FOOD as a pastime, activity, socializer, etc.

And people are SURPRISED at how they end up looking?

Look, I am the first person to say, forget what others think and say, eat what and how much you want but I do have 1 caveat: Be good to yourself. Don't beat up or abuse yourself. Have good self esteem and be happy. You are doing what you choose, right? Screw everyone else. Overeat or eat poorly or eat well FOR YOU, not others. I am against being judgmental.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

In my case, it's my husband who will have bought a ton of it because he can't stop himself from buying things in bulk when it seems I've become fixated on it.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Same here!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of the same meals too. It's much easier to plan out my meals for the week if I repeat them.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I do this also. I am a picky eater so when there is something I like, I just keep eating it.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you look at people's food diaries (esp. on websites like bodybuilders.com, or of people that have the body you WANT to have), you'll find that it seems completely boring - same thing day after day, meal after meal. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that, as long as you are getting all the nutrients that you need.

In fact, as far as training is concerned, people start to think of food as fuel, instead of a "reward" or "pleasurable social experience". As soon as you look at food as, "What can I put into my body, that will fuel my days, and make me healthy", instead of, "Hmmmm......what looks good at Kroger/Olive Garden/my pantry" you'll most likely gravitate towards the same proteins, the same veggies, that give the most bang for the calories.

For ex., I eat for lunch, almost daily, a spinach salad with feta cheese, walnuts, dried cranberries, raspberry vinegrette, with string cheese and turkey breast on the side. It's not that I don't like variety - I do! But for only a few hundred calories, and all the nutrition that that meal packs, (and I like it), why would I eat Chinese take-out (with all the added calories, less protein, more carbs, MSG and God only knows what else)?
  • FifiLea
    FifiLea Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like to eat the same thing, that way I'm using food as fuel and I'm not obsessing about the calories in it or having to weigh everything. But I found that was easier to do when I was eating ready meals and shop-bought soups etc..

Now that I'm trying to cook a lot more from scratch, I do vary it a bit as if I'm going through the hassle of cooking (I hate cooking, I only do it so that the children don't starve!) I figure I might as well try some different things.

That said, I might cook different things, but I use the same ingredients - e.g. home-made meatballs, home-made hamburgers, chilli, etc.. It's amazing how many different meals you can make with mince, onion and tomatoes! :wink:
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I think that everybody does it. We find what we like and stick with it. I like to shake things up every once in a while. Every few days just add something different. Like maybe if you don't eat beef, have a burger. Its like a shock to the body. Other than that you are fine.