Help me out a little with this...

Options

Replies

• devenwarvel
    devenwarvel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It would FOR SURE influence my decision. Plus, it would save the time of trying to look uo that info before going out to eat.
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    98% chance I would downgrade! Since starting MFP I usually look up the nutrition info before going somewhere Just so I know what the best thing is to order
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm tracking calories, YES, however before my lifestyle change, NO. The calories being posted would have meant nothing to me.
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm tracking calories, YES, however before my lifestyle change, NO. The calories being posted would have meant nothing to me.

I posted this same question on Facebook and the only friend that has undergone a huge weight loss was the only one to mimic this response. The rest are pretty much saying it wouldn't matter to them. Hmmm...
  • mjtbb
    mjtbb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is a good question but you need to get feedback from other type of sites (non-fitness ones). I would have looked twice before I was here because I knew already about how much you should be eating in a sensible diet but there are many people out there who would see a 1600 calorie entree and it would mean nothing to them. On the other hand there will be many like me before MFP that would downgrade or eat less because it certainly will make you feel a little guilty to order something so hi-calorie. I think if they do put the fat content also it might actually reach more people. That is an easier concept, to see you are ordering something with a very high fat content. It would have certainly stopped me from ordering even before MFP.

Melanie
  • jpowell3976
    jpowell3976 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Heck yes I would...NOW...back THEN...probably not. I didn't care about how much of anything was in my food...as long as it tasted good & made me "feel better"....I'm an emotional eater in recovery. :) 114 days on eating for fuel and not feelings! Yay! 115 days on MFP! (Had a small slip with a snack size bag of chips when my mother was hospitalized earlier this month.)
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I love it when restaurants post calorie counts.

However, if you're going to do this study, I would definitely get an equal amount of people who are not on websites like this.
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love it when restaurants post calorie counts.

However, if you're going to do this study, I would definitely get an equal amount of people who are not on websites like this.

The study will draw from a randomized sample of population. This is just a preliminary question to give me some ideas how to structure the study. We're supposed to submit our idea and justification for the idea to the professor in the next couple of weeks so I'm just doing an unofficial survey to help me with my justification and hypothesis formation.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I would definately consider this information. I use an app on my phone but it only has some restaurants. I wish it was right there on the menu.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    this is my main reason for NOT eating fast food, their job is to sell you the biggest portion aka the most calorie laden food on the menu if they posted a menue i would read each and every thing to see what was the least calories hopefully they have salad so i would definetely get that.
  • jewels319
    jewels319 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Since starting MFP....I have been keeping to my 1200 cals a day goal.......I used to go to fast food places and order burgers fries and soda.......my fav thing to order at Friendlys was the honey bbq chicken with bacon and cheddar.....look at the calories its like 1400......OH MY GOD!.....over my cal count.....so I looked at menu for something less. Even thinking small fries instead of large, I talk myself out of it cuz its still deep fried, still salty.....and well for me...the side effects of swelling from the salt just makes me feel heavier. Good luck on your course.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Honestly... before MFP I would have ordered the new feature and not given it a second thought. But now I would have to downgrade!!!

I totally agree with you on that!

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • butterfly1445
    butterfly1445 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A week ago I would've stuck with the new feature, now I would downgrade for sure, that is more than an entire day of calories for me!!
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options

I posted this same question on Facebook and the only friend that has undergone a huge weight loss was the only one to mimic this response. The rest are pretty much saying it wouldn't matter to them. Hmmm...

Amazing how that works! :bigsmile:

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    Anyone not using this site would probably ignore the calorie count though I would not!
  • FifiLea
    FifiLea Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It would definitely affect what I ordered and would also mean that I would eat out more.

It's such a hassle having to look up what I'm going to eat before I go to a restaurant. It takes the spontaneity out of the occasion - what if I don't fancy whatever it is that I've laboriously looked up once I get to the restaurant? I'll end up eating it because I know what's in it, but it means that I might not enjoy my meal.
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It would definitely change my mind. I like menus with calorie counts listed.
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would opt for a lower calorie item. Having nutritional info on the menu would be wonderful!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If the calorie counts were posted on every menu you ordered from, would you think twice about what you ordered?
    Definitely. In fact i go out of my way to find restaurants that have the calories on at least some of the menu items.

For example, let's say you had seen a new feature advertised at a local fast food place that you thought you would try. You get to the menu and see it has 1660 calories, plus 450 for the fries and another 370 for the soda. Would you still order it?

I have a huge problem with getting cravings but if I saw in plain lettering next to the food how many calories I would actually be eating it would probably greatly discourage me from eating it.

Or would you change your mind and order the item with 400 calories, downgrade the fries to a small with 200 calories, and get a diet soda with no calories?

Honestly I probably wouldn't order anything at all. I don't drink diet soda and 600 calories is just way too much for the amount of food you'd get from one sandwich and a small fry.

Just a note. I've done a lot of projects like this. Make sure you have a large sample size and that you are not just taking information from people that are actively trying to lose weight. I guarantee you my boyfriends answers would be WAY different since I have epic failed at getting him to give a crap about calorie consumption.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The information on the menu would DEFINITELY make me change my mind.
    Like when I found out that Chili's yummy brownie thing has like 1.800 calories.
    Won't ever go near taht again