Atkins Diet

Options
Has anyone tried the Atkins Diet? What is it like, is it obtainable? I have been having terrible sugar cravings.... Not been good :(

Replies

• Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Atkins Diet? What is it like, is it obtainable? I have been having terrible sugar cravings.... Not been good :(

The Atkins Diet will work it you follow it as planned. Doing so will help you change your lifestyle to a low carb eating lifestyle. You just have to go into it as a lifestyle change forever. Not a quick fix. My husband and I are on Atkins and I lost 8.4 since Monday and he lost 14.

You are going to get a ton of bad reviews for Atkins on here.....most disagree with low carb. Add me if you want and good luck!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have done it several times over the past 10 years. The first time, I lost about 22 pounds in two months. The problem is that it is not maintainable, eating that way. I gained all that weight back, plus more, and did the diet again and only lost about 12 pounds. The third time, I only lost about 7 pounds. It was as if my body got used to no carbs and wasn't in ketoacidosis (or whatever it is called) anymore.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Atkins is great, but it is a lifestyle change. If you do atkins/low carb and then slip up/get off the plan you're going to gain all the weight back. My uncle did it and lost over 100lbs. He looked great and felt great, but figured since he had lost the weight he wanted he could get off the "diet". Nope...blew right back up. So I guess just be careful.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    My mother has been following the Atkins plan for about 15 years, and she is the most phenomenally healthy 60 year old woman because of it today. I follow a low-carb/ high fat diet that is closest to a primal/ paleo type diet. I've never been healthier.

It is a totally sustainable way of eating if you choose for it to be. I eat lots of eggs, meat, tons of veggies and nuts and some fruit. I also eat some dairy still, but have cut back. (I beleive Atkins allows you plenty of dairy from cream and cheese- milk (especially skim) can have a lot of sugar-aka Lactose)

Anyway, good luck to you however you decide to eat. Atkins and other low-carb lifestyles can be very healthy- and work well particularly for people with insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome!

But be prepared for people to be very negative towards this way of eating... I still can't figure out why...
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I have done it several times over the past 10 years. The first time, I lost about 22 pounds in two months. The problem is that it is not maintainable, eating that way. I gained all that weight back, plus more, and did the diet again and only lost about 12 pounds. The third time, I only lost about 7 pounds. It was as if my body got used to no carbs and wasn't in ketoacidosis (or whatever it is called) anymore.

It is completely Maintanable, its a change of lifestyle not a diet. With any diet or healthy eating plan , you start eating crap again you will gain. You just have to follow the diet, commit to the lifestyle, i really do not miss startchy foods at all. sure when i am not payign attention to eating plans i have eaten them, mainly when others are cooking because they are there, and easier than making my own. When i cook for my self, it would not even occur to me to make any kind of starch or carby food
  • alibreasy
    alibreasy Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've done Atkins...Phase 1 and Phase 2 and have had results...but I must say I don't stick to it fully because its not realistic for a forever plan/lifestyle change. What I do like is not eating too high of carbs and eating the right carbs. So basically, I've taken bread mostly out of my diet because that was one thing that gave me a swollen look, I must say I leaned out a lot on the Atkins...but now I dont consider myself Atkins, just more lower carb...staying away from breads and too much rice and pasta...I do like veggies and fruit so I am able to maintain a balance. I still have about a good 40pounds to go and I use Atkins here and there or shall I say low carb, but I don't deny myself fully as the Atkins diet promotes. When coming off Atkin's people should do so moderately and not just dive back into eating what they use to...if that is the case no diet will work...that is why we call it lifestyle change, you need a nice balance to maintain the lifestyle and not get discourage or feel deprived.
  • SueHerm
    SueHerm Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Because the only diet clinically established to reverse heart disease is the complete opposite of Atkins, I stay far, far away from it.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    Because the only diet clinically established to reverse heart disease is the complete opposite of Atkins, I stay far, far away from it.

I would like to know what diet, and see what study showed a "clinically established" reversal of heart disease.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of doing the Atkins diet but it seemed a lil too much because I love having certain foods. What I have been doing is drinking their shakes and bars to replace certain meals like lunch and dinner when its convenient. It has been great that way. I love their shakes and bars taste awesome!
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    I was thinking of doing the Atkins diet but it seemed a lil too much because I love having certain foods. What I have been doing is drinking their shakes and bars to replace certain meals like lunch and dinner when its convenient. It has been great that way. I love their shakes and bars taste awesome!

eas advant edge has a dark chocolate that tastes even better than atkins
  • FairyMiss
    Options

which if you watch the news has about been completly disproved
  • Marleneaa
    Marleneaa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I originally did la weightloss, which is atkins like, low carb high protien. I lost 30 lbs and have kept it off. When I had tried weightwatchers I barely lost anything. I think you need to figure out what is best for you & your body. My body does not do well with cabrs (which I lived on & have overcome cravings). My body runs better and feels better on protein, veggies, and fruit. I am just starting again since I never lost the next 32 lbs I need to do. Being more strict and really watching portion size.
    Good luck with whatever you decide,
    Marlene
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the Atkins plan other than if you look at the ingredients of their product the list is long as your arm and full of chemicals.. I do better on a low carb , high protein , high fat diet.. eating natural foods. I feel better, loose weight , have a ton of energy. I am sticking pretty close to the paleo diet and I love it..I've lost 15 lbs in 3 weeks of doing this plan.. as far sustainable lifestyle I guess that really depends how committed you are to making it a lifestyle or are you just in to loose a few lbs,. I have celiac's disease and also a long list of foods I can no tolerate, including all grains, dairy, anything highly processed and gluten, so paleo makes sense for me and the way I have to live the rest of my life. I have no other choice.there will be no going back to the way I ate before.
  • SueHerm
    SueHerm Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Dr. Dean Ornish published the first studies about 20 years ago, and more recently Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn of the Cleveland Clinic has had great results. Eesselstyn was profiled in the movie Forks Over Knives, here are some of his studies:

A Strategy to Arrest and Reverse Coronary Artery Disease: A 5 -Year Longitudinal Study of a Single Physician's Practice
    Esselstyn CB Jr. et al: The Journal of Family Practice 1995 December; 41(6): 560-68

Updating a 12 -Year Experience With Arrest and Reversal Therapy for Coronary Heart Disease (An Overdue Requiem for Palliative Cardiology) Esselstyn CB Jr. The Am J of Cardiology 1999 August 1; 84:339-341

Resolving the Coronary Artery Disease Epidemic through Plant-Based Nutrition (with photos of disease reversal)
    Esselstyn CB Jr: Preventive Cardiology 2001;4: 171-177

In Cholesterol Lowering, Moderation Kills Esselstyn CB Jr. Cleve Clinic J of Med 2000 August; 67 (8): 560-564
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I am taking atkins and doing it low carb style on my own...not really buying and eating Atkins products per se but doing really well with it.

I needed to get the scale moving after 2 monhs of not moving doing everything else. This works for me as a PCOS woman with insulin resistance.

I feel full, I don't weigh, measure or care about counting, I don't overthink food and what my next meal will be because I barely felt full from the first meal. Atkins type low carb practices really make sense and anyone who tells you other wise can eat the other way because thier body can handle carbs differently....and they are lucky to have that advantage that I don't.

I just know that it is a lifestyle that I can mostly maintain for life because it is doable. There is this website Netrition where you can buy all kinds of low carb products some that even help you make things like biscuits and pancakes with something called Carbquick and not Bisquick so I am getting it.

I make almond flour pancakes now and they are yummy. I still eat veggies the low carb ones and berries and a small apple from time to time and salads with full fat dressing.

Watch the movie Fat Head and you will be amazed! PS I just friended a doctor here that lost 40 lbs doing Atkins....and as a doctor he should know his stuff so why not!

Oh by the way on this plan for me no 3pm i wish I could take a nap feeling!

The main idea behind Atkins is that if you limit carbs you won't crave more carbs and crash and stay onthe vicious cycle of energy crashing carbs. People will say you need the carbs to exercise and have energy and get through a workout and be healthy. NOT SO!! Would you rather lose and burn glocose from the tons of carbs you just ate or the fat locked away in your fat cells that have been stuck there for some time?

Me I want to burn fat, and I can access that fat by limiting how much glucose I have in me to begin with.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I tried Atkins a number of years ago, and had some success. But I could never get into ketosis no matter how hard I tried and how few carbs I ate. I ended up giving up and gaining all of the weight back, and then some.

I have been on South Beach, which is similar to Atkins. Phase 1 is mostly lean protein, dairy, and vegetables that are lower in carbs. I found that over these two weeks, I kicked my sugar habit (and boy, do I have a sweet tooth!) What I prefer about South Beach is that they gradually add back carbs, including whole grain breads and pastas. I find that a much easier to make this type of lifestyle change.

They have probably changed Atkins since I tried it 10 years ago. Regardless of what you try, going to a limited carb diet for a couple of weeks can definitely cure a sugar habit.

Best of luck to you!
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    Do Primal/paleo instead, only because it advocates more sustainable, whole-foods type of eating, but also the 80/20 rule - 80% of your weight is dictated by diet, and by sticking to the primal/paleo foods (aka whole vegetables, fruits, nuts, high quality meats and eggs, etc) 80% of the time, you'll do great, but straying here and there isn't completely forbidden. Many people sort of customize it and find their own limits. For me... I can feel my pulse race when I eat grains and cereal and super high sugar/carb foods, and those often lead to binge eating.

This website is amazing: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/

I do like the book, but just about everything you need to know is on the website somewhere.
  • MMiles96
    MMiles96 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, that is definitely some "food for thought" I haven't really decided what to do, I am trying to eat healthier and exercising, for the most part I am doing well except come afternoon I have a hankering for some sugar... That is where the day goes down hill for my calories and such.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    yes atkins does add back carbs 5 grams at a time each week til yo get to your personal thresh hold of carbs that either make you stop losing and stall or gain weight and then you know you have to eat below that # of carbs.

The atkins of my mom's day was VERY strict but now it is just like south Beach Phase 2 and man o man hubby made a low carb clam chowder on Sunday that really rocked!!!!

it is in the book 500 low carb recipes and all that was "radical" in that recipe was using turnips peeled cut and cubed in place of starchy potatoes!

Awesome recipe and he will have to make that one again!

Plus he makes some yummy cheesecake cups that are about 5 carbs...where can you get a rich creamy tasty dessert for 5 carbs? You can't even eat a fun size anything candy bar for 5 carbs that won't spike your blood sugar and cause a mad insulin rush through your system!
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    I tried Atkins a number of years ago, and had some success. But I could never get into ketosis no matter how hard I tried and how few carbs I ate. I ended up giving up and gaining all of the weight back, and then some.

I have been on South Beach, which is similar to Atkins. Phase 1 is mostly lean protein, dairy, and vegetables that are lower in carbs. I found that over these two weeks, I kicked my sugar habit (and boy, do I have a sweet tooth!) What I prefer about South Beach is that they gradually add back carbs, including whole grain breads and pastas. I find that a much easier to make this type of lifestyle change.

They have probably changed Atkins since I tried it 10 years ago. Regardless of what you try, going to a limited carb diet for a couple of weeks can definitely cure a sugar habit.

Best of luck to you!

Hi - I just wanted to let you know that Atkins also slowly adds back whole grains including bread and pasta. All fruits will be added back as well. Atkins is just retraining your body to handle carbs.