Cardio First?

Options
On the days i do my strength training, should i be doing cardio then weights? Or the other way around?
Thanks!

Replies

• MiaMcBetty
    MiaMcBetty Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you're meant to do a 5 minute warm up (on the treadmill), then your weights and then finish up with cardio..
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have been over this with a lot of people. Whatever you think works for you is best. Try both ways and see how you feel. I am training for the Army and the Sgts I work out with run first and then we lift weights. This has produced ENORMOUS results for me personally. Good luck.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you're meant to do a 5 minute warm up (on the treadmill), then your weights and then finish up with cardio..
    What she said ^^^.

5-10 minutes of warm up will burn the glycogen in your muscles so that your strength training is more effective. Then cardio at the end when your muscles are tired will focus more on fat burning.
  • ageros
    ageros Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I originally started doing strength training first, and then interval training cardio, but I was so tired after the weights that I couldn't do my cardio effectively. I switched, and I'm still loosing weight just fine.
  • niclan724
    niclan724 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal preference. Whatever your body feels more comfortable with.

I like to do my cardio first, get my heart going and then lead into a weight routine. I have tried lifting first, and sometimes my arms and legs are so tired that it feels like torture to then try cardio!
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I need to warm up first with cardio. Then strength training.
    I think whatever is comfortable for you. Good Luck.
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer a few years back and he said always do strength first (after a 5 minute warm-up). The reason being is that if you do your aerobic exercise first your muscles will be too tired to handle as much weight or as many reps as you could otherwise handle.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    My trainer had me doing a 5 min cardio warm up (usually on the bike), then weights, and then a full cardio workout. In all honesty I forget the warm up all the time, unless I see that my trainer is at the gym and than I do it so I don't get fussed at. LOL