A question for the ladies...Ladies Only. You've been warned!

Options
so, its been about 9 weeks since I've started exercising etc, and lately I've found that my menstrual cycle has been completely out of sync. Prior to my weightloss journey I was very regular. I am spotting constantly, I was 2 weeks early and now it's been 5 weeks since I've had a period (and before the question is asked... there is no way I can be pregnant...)

My guess is my body is changing and that is taking it's toll, but I was wondering if any other ladies have experienced this kinda thing at the beginning of their journey and if it's regulated? At this stage I'm going to wait it out a few more weeks If it continues then I'm going to go and see my doctor, but would appreciate any advice if there is any out there.

Thanks ladies!

Replies

• Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    research PCOS, I am not a doctor but it is a suggestion.
  • ascoope
    ascoope Posts: 42
    Options
    I spot constantly after strenuous exercise- drives me crazy. But I've always been prone to it anyway. It can be a symptom of problems with your cervix (ie cancer) so I would get it checked but more likely it's due to the stress on your body from exercise and weight loss.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm completely wacked out ...I had mine for 2 days about 2 weeks ago then again last week for about 4 days. I generally am 7 full days and normally start on Sundays. It's all the change in diet and exercise and weight loss. I've been told it'll even itself out
  • CBKMom
    CBKMom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Exercise does sometimes cause changes in your cycle. I would call my Dr and talk with them just to be on the safe side. No sense worrying over something when it could be discussed and moved on from or fixed. Why wait?
  • chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    Speaking as someone who is familiar with human physiology, yes, exercise and weight loss can cause menstrual irregularity. If you're continuing to lose weight and to exercise... your hormonal levels may continue to fluctuate until you plateau and your menstrual cycle becomes regulated once again.
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a trainer for the past 5 weeks and this month my period was about 9 days late. I have not had any spotting and really had contributed it to the working out (until 2 years ago I have never been regular). That is something I will have to watch moving forward and see if it happens again or if this was a one time fluke. My one question to you would be are you eating enough calories? A lot of anoxeric people or people that go on starvation diets have altered menstrual cycles.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    When I started exercising harder, my cycle got out of whack for the first 4 weeks. Like you, I had lots of spotting when I shouldn't have had anything. After that first four weeks, it went completely back to normal. My Ob-Gyn said it was completely normal. I'm sure you're fine! :-)
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Stress on the body can do that to you.. I wouldn't worry for now :)
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    Before I started working out and dieting I never knew when (TOM) would show up...Now that Ive been doing the diet and workout, it starts at the same time and is for a shorter time and not as heavy...
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    when i first lost weight two years ago, my period was so out of whack. but this time around, I had no problem and I think it's because I'm on the Pill (and had been for six months prior to my weight loss journey) so my hormones were regulated and continue to be regulated. I could be very wrong though!
  • cindy_leonard
    Options
    It makes sense to me that losing weight would affect your cycle. Fat cells are where estrogen gets stored, according to my gyno. When I hit a certain weight, my periods got really heavy/wonky. 50 lbs heavier and they've stopped altogether.

If you are concerned or it starts becoming worrisome, definitely see your doc. Better to get checked and know for sure it's not being caused by something else.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. when I saw my doctor she told me everything was fine. The way she explained things to me is that fat has a capacity to store hormones and bad things like pesticides. When we lose weight, those things are released in the blood stream and can put your system out of whack. Go see you doctor to be sure everything is fine but it happened to many of us
  • betty51
    betty51 Posts: 52
    Options
    You need to see your dr.
    I really don't think this has anything to do with dieting or exercising ,hope everything works out for you!!
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    I actually know this answer as I asked my doctor about it. Our fat cells carry hormones in them. As they dissipate and leave our system those excess hormones are released caused us to have irregular spotting etc. it is normal, but i would still talk to a dr to make sure there is nothing else going on!

it is the same reason when you lose weight your skin breaks out, those extra hormones
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    you maaaay want to get your thyroid checked out by a doctor. i didn't have a period for over 4 months... turns out mine was underactive! so yeah.