Is this reasonable weight loss goal?

Options
On May 7th 2011, I made the commitment to myself to get healthy and to exercise. I weighed in at 242.4. Currently I weigh 232.6 and trying to set some goals. I would like to get to 170 pounds. Doing it a healthy way is one of my conditions. I need to lose 62 lbs more. Can this be done by Dec 7th. Thus far I have taken off about 10 lbs in 1 month. That how I got the idea that in December I should be the 170 I want to be. Is that who we are suppose to set our time frame. I need to have a deadline because if it's just a goal, well I might take 5 years to get there if I don't specifically put a time on it. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I personally think that you can shed a lot of weight in the first month or so but it will taper off. I would base a goal around losing 2 lbs a week. I am setting a goal of 170 by 12/01/11 because if I continue to lose at least 2 lbs a week I can hit it or come damn close to that goal.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would set small goals throughout... try to divide the weight u want to have lost by December into smaller amounts... That should help you get as close as you can to your final weight loss goal. Thats what helped me. It took me more than 2 years to lose 30 lbs, and I'm still pushing hard to lose more (another 14 lbs will be nice)
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i found i lost a bigger amount at the start but then it slows down, i have heard 2-3 lb a week is a healthy amount to loose. If u loose it 2 quickly it seems to go back on quicker, hope that helps. :smile:
  • choughton01
    choughton01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I personally think that you can shed a lot of weight in the first month or so but it will taper off. I would base a goal around losing 2 lbs a week. I am setting a goal of 170 by 12/01/11 because if I continue to lose at least 2 lbs a week I can hit it or come damn close to that goal.

How do you set those goals at the bottom of your comment?
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    I agree with kel_bel..My weight (I was 210) came off real fast the first month..22lbs in 2 months..but I know from past attempts it slows down...a lot...I am aiming for 1lb a week or so..(5lbs a month goal)...I am realistically hoping to lose and keep off...25-30lbs by New Years.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I would say give yourself the extra month but also set a realistic size goal. The weight comes off alot quicker/easier at the beginning. My weight goal is 160 (my original goal for the year was 175) but more so I want to be in a SIZE 10/12 (I can shop at virtually every main stream store at this point) My size goal is also based off the fact I had a child, I am lighter (by a pound lol) then my sisters wedding but a size bigger in pants because my belly just doesnt shrink as easy now.

Is december realistic? I would say New years/christmas. Be ready to re-adjust if you hit a major plateau, but having a goal in mind does make you push through those plateaus instead of giving up
  • choughton01
    Options
    I just counted the weeks and if I can take 2 pounds off every week I will have lost about 50 lbs come December. Everyone seems so sure about weight loss slowing down.........why is that, what cause the slow down. I mean I'm not dropping pound now, averaging about 2 a week. Why will it not continue if I continue to workout and watch what I eat?
  • DeviantDarkwolf2
    DeviantDarkwolf2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    hmm well although it is a goal it shouldn't be just about the weight it needs to be a lifestyle change otherwise we will all be back to where we are today. I think that goal will be rather hard for anyone. Based on your details that would require you to lose about 2.71lbs per week for 23 weeks. If you want the weight to stay off I would think basing your loss on 1lb per week as that is way more achievable, and the weeks that you lose more take it as a bonus. So therefore if you base your goal 1lb per week you are looking at 62 weeks but keep in mind you are more than likely to lose more at the start. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
  • choughton01
    Options
    My goal of December only came about because I did lose about 10 pounds in one month so I figured 10 pounds each and it happened that December would be the month. Nothing special is going on but I don't want to just have it out there, that I want to get to 170........I could make that goal last for years. I really want to set something reasonable and more importantly doable:flowerforyou:
  • DeviantDarkwolf2
    DeviantDarkwolf2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    The weight comes off faster in the beginning because the heavier you are the more calories you burn when exercising.
  • kozmogrl
    kozmogrl Posts: 2
    Options
    Just started, but I love your goal setting. They seem very obtainable, will borrow that same concept.
  • choughton01
    Options
    I don't know how to do it that's why I'm asking if it realistic. I just don't to take years to achieve this desired weight. I just a time frame. It will motivate me more but I want a realistic time frame and that's what I'm not sure of. What is realistic time frame to lose 62 more pounds. This is a forever thing. I was 170 before and maintained it for 5 years but then decided to have a baby and delivered weighing 250. She's 4 now and I now have time to focus on me and getting me healthy again.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    a reasonable goal is 2lbs per week (and that is the high end) so 62lbs divided by 2 leaves you with 31 weeks. Or (divided by 4) 7.75 months. Placing your goal in about february.

The reason we are all so positive weight loss slows down is because We've all been there. And as your body adjusts to the lower caloric intake and calorie burn it WILL do some funky things. You body also gets "used" to a routine and you will have to change it up. Whether it be an increase or decrease in calories and/or a change in excercise regimine.

I started weighing myself for my weight loss challenge the beginning of December at 258 lbs. I have lost 61 lbs. Yes at this point that does average out to 9-10 lbs a month but I plummeted very quickly in the beginning and at other times have STRUGGLED to lose 2 lbs in 2 weeks. In December I decided I wanted to be 175 by NEXT Christmas giving me 12 months to lose 83 lbs which is still high by most standards because that sets me at losing 7 lbs per month. My "ideal" weight is 160 but I truly dont see achieving this before Summer 2012. Some days I still toy with stopping at 175 depending on what size I am and my body/muscle tone over all.

We are by no means saying you CANT do it because YOU CAN. But you did ask if it was realistic, and by experience and scientific research youre pushing the borders of realistic.

I truly believe you can do what you put your mind to, none of us want to see you do something unhealthy to try to achieve that though. Im not sure about your height but starting weight and goal put us in a pretty similar category.
  • choughton01
    Options
    So 40 lbs lost by December 7th sounds more reasonable. LOL, I just need a date and a weight .... something to work for....motivation. I just think I will work harder if there is a deadline but I don't want it an unattainable, that won't do me no good other than bring me down.

Thanks everyone.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I just counted the weeks and if I can take 2 pounds off every week I will have lost about 50 lbs come December. Everyone seems so sure about weight loss slowing down.........why is that, what cause the slow down. I mean I'm not dropping pound now, averaging about 2 a week. Why will it not continue if I continue to workout and watch what I eat?

Its because you can't create as big a calorie deficit when you are already smaller. So if you're 225 lbs you can eat maybe 1500 calories a day and have a 1000 calorie deficit (i.e. to maintain your weight you should be eating 2500 calories a day, but to lose at a higher rate you are only eating 1500 calories). As you get closer to your goal weight the number of calories you have to eat to maintain your weight will decrease. For example I'm at 175 lbs now and to maintain my body weight I have to eat a little under 2000 calories. I can't create a 1000 calorie deficit anymore without under eating.

That got all jumbly, hopefully it sort of makes sense... It will get harder to lose when you get closer to your goal but don't worry about it, it will come off when it comes off! As long as you stick with maintaining healthy habits it WILL come off!
  • ur1dreamgirl
    ur1dreamgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    haha I know right, I have had this goal to getting down to 150 lbs for past 2 years but now after seeing these kind of posts, I do feel like I also need to set some specific deadlines to be motivated. Good Luck :)