OT: Can anyone suggest a good cocktail?

Options
AJCM
AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
Hi Friends,

Tonight we are having a Grey's Anatomy / The Office / Survivor Premiere Party at our place.

Can anyone recommend a great cocktail to make? We are ordering in (probably Thai or pizza - not a fancy menu) and will have wine and beer. Any ideas for a delish cocktail?

Thanks!
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• AJCM
    Options
    Hi Friends,

Tonight we are having a Grey's Anatomy / The Office / Survivor Premiere Party at our place.

Can anyone recommend a great cocktail to make? We are ordering in (probably Thai or pizza - not a fancy menu) and will have wine and beer. Any ideas for a delish cocktail?

Thanks!
  • AJCM
    Options
    Oh - btw - I can buy any ingredients you might recommend, but already have vodka, rum, peach liqour, khalua, and rye (I know - a weird combo - we are running low these days!).
  • cassangelidy
    Options
    AHH Thanks for the Office reminder!!!

WOOO HOOO!!!! I completely forgot! :)

Sorry no suggestions...just too excited about the Office. :)
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I love mojitos - they are super easy. All you need is rum, sparkling water, lime, mint and sugar.

Put 3-4 mint leaves, some cane sugar, and lime juice (squeeze 1/4-1/2 of lime) in a glass - muddle it (take a spoon and kind of mush the mint leaves to release the oils and mix everything up).

Fill glass with crushed ice, and pour sparkling water 3/4 of the way, and top it off with rum.

You can add more sugar, rum to taste. :drinker:
  • AJCM
    Options
    I love mojitos - they are super easy. All you need is rum, sparkling water, lime, mint and sugar.

Put 3-4 mint leaves, some cane sugar, and lime juice (squeeze 1/4-1/2 of lime) in a glass - muddle it (take a spoon and kind of mush the mint leaves to release the oils and mix everything up).

Fill glass with crushed ice, and pour sparkling water 3/4 of the way, and top it off with rum.

Thanks Molly! I always forget Mojitos! We drank them in Cuba all day long - and they are very refreshing and would work with any menu! Do you make a simple syrup or just mix the sugar in?
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    One of our fav's... (you can ignore the products if you don't have them....) :laugh: Looks like MollyK and I have the same idea - she posted while I was typing... :laugh:

The Pampered Chef ® Triple-Citrus Mojitos

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1 pkg (.75 oz) fresh mint leaves (about 1 1/4 cups leaves), divided
    1 orange
    2 lemons, divided
    2 limes, divided
    1/2 cup white rum (optional)
    5 cups chilled lemon-lime soda

1. Combine sugar and water in Small Batter Bowl. Tear six mint leaves in half and place into Quick-Stir® Pitcher; set aside. Finely chop remaining leaves with Chef's Knife and place into batter bowl. Zest orange, one of the lemons and one of the limes using Zester/Scorer; add zest to mint mixture. Microwave on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
    2. Slice orange, both of the lemons and both of the limes in half crosswise. Reserve half of one lemon and half of one lime for garnish. Juice remaining lemon and lime halves using Citrus Press; add juices to pitcher. Juice orange with Juicer; add juice to pitcher.
    3. Pour mint mixture through Strainer into pitcher; discard chopped mint. Add rum, if desired. Carefully add soda to avoid overflow. Slice reserved lemon and lime halves with Ultimate Mandoline fitted with v-shaped blade; place into pitcher. Place lid onto pitcher and plunge gently. Serve over ice.

Yield: 8 servings

Nutrients per serving: Light Nutrients per serving (about 1 cup): Calories 130, Total Fat 0 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 33 g, Protein 0 g, Sodium 20 mg, Fiber less than 1 g

Cook's Tip: To garnish rims of glasses, zest an additional orange using Microplane® Adjustable Grater. Combine zest and 1/2 cup sugar in Prep Bowl. Place a small amount of sugar mixture onto Simple Additions® Appetizer Plate. Rub rim of glass with orange wedge to moisten. Dip rim of glass into sugar mixture.

© The Pampered Chef, Ltd., 2001
    One of our fav's... (you can ignore the products if you don't have them....) :laugh: Looks like MollyK and I have the same idea - she posted while I was typing... :laugh:

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1 orange
    2 lemons, divided
    2 limes, divided

1. Combine sugar and water in Small Batter Bowl. Tear six mint leaves in half and place into Quick-Stir® Pitcher; set aside. Finely chop remaining leaves with Chef's Knife and place into batter bowl. Zest orange, one of the lemons and one of the limes using Zester/Scorer; add zest to mint mixture. Microwave on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
    2. Slice orange, both of the lemons and both of the limes in half crosswise. Reserve half of one lemon and half of one lime for garnish. Juice remaining lemon and lime halves using Citrus Press; add juices to pitcher. Juice orange with Juicer; add juice to pitcher.
    3. Pour mint mixture through Strainer into pitcher; discard chopped mint. Add rum, if desired. Carefully add soda to avoid overflow. Slice reserved lemon and lime halves with Ultimate Mandoline fitted with v-shaped blade; place into pitcher. Place lid onto pitcher and plunge gently. Serve over ice.

Nutrients per serving: Light Nutrients per serving (about 1 cup): Calories 130, Total Fat 0 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 33 g, Protein 0 g, Sodium 20 mg, Fiber less than 1 g

Cook's Tip: To garnish rims of glasses, zest an additional orange using Microplane® Adjustable Grater. Combine zest and 1/2 cup sugar in Prep Bowl. Place a small amount of sugar mixture onto Simple Additions® Appetizer Plate. Rub rim of glass with orange wedge to moisten. Dip rim of glass into sugar mixture.

Hey Thanks! That looks good - my SIL sells PC products, so I have everything listed except the mandolin!
  • MFS27
    Options

Thanks Molly! I always forget Mojitos! We drank them in Cuba all day long - and they are very refreshing and would work with any menu! Do you make a simple syrup or just mix the sugar in?

I just use raw cane sugar on the bottom of the glass, and then if folks like it sweeter, I have agave nectar (which is kind of like a simple syrup) - some people like it sweeter, and others don't - ya know? I'm not a big drinker, but I love me some mojitos!
  • AJCM
    Options

I just use raw cane sugar on the bottom of the glass, and then if folks like it sweeter, I have agave nectar (which is kind of like a simple syrup) - some people like it sweeter, and others don't - ya know? I'm not a big drinker, but I love me some mojitos!

Oh yes - sorry - I was thinking of cane sugar - ooops! Okay, sounds great! Thanks...
    :smile:
    Just for the record - we are not big drinkers - just like a little beverage here and there! (I don't want to be sounding like a huge boozer!!!)
    :tongue:
  • MFS27
    Options

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1 orange
    2 lemons, divided
    2 limes, divided

Great minds!!!

BTW - I don't like mojitos made with lemon-lime soda (shudder) - tastes artificial to me. I love the fresh mint/fresh lime taste - can't beat it, and it is really so easy to make. I don't measure anything, I just make as many glasses are needed, and folks can top their drinks with more rum or agave nectar (if they like it sweeter).
  • MargieM
    Options

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1 orange
    2 lemons, divided
    2 limes, divided

Hey Thanks! That looks good - my SIL sells PC products, so I have everything listed except the mandolin!

We love it! I usually let people add their own rum to their glass and then fill rest of the way with the mojito mixture. It works with diet soda pop too. I like to use Canada Dry Ginger Ale or Sprite. Enjoy!
  • AJCM
    Options
    Sounds great - it even reminded me of good old fashioned rum and diet coke with lots of lime!!!! :tongue:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Diet Ginger Ale
    Vanilla Vodka
    splash of marachino(sp) cherry juice and a cherry.

Tastes like a cherry/cream soda. :tongue: :bigsmile:
  • MFS27
    Options

Oh yes - sorry - I was thinking of cane sugar - ooops! Okay, sounds great! Thanks...
    :smile:
    Just for the record - we are not big drinkers - just like a little beverage here and there! (I don't want to be sounding like a huge boozer!!!)
    :tongue:

LOL!! :laugh: :laugh: I wasn't insinuating anything :wink: Mojitos are the only "cocktail" I know how to make. I do (kind of) know my way around a wine cellar (not that we have one :laugh: ). BTW - have you ever had a mojito blended? I always ask for mine blended when we go out, and get the weirdest looks. I had a blended strawberry mojito one time, and man, was that ever good! At home, I just keep things simple and on the rocks.
  • MargieM
    Options

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1 orange
    2 lemons, divided
    2 limes, divided

Great minds!!!

BTW - I don't like mojitos made with lemon-lime soda (shudder) - tastes artificial to me. I love the fresh mint/fresh lime taste - can't beat it, and it is really so easy to make. I don't measure anything, I just make as many glasses are needed, and folks can top their drinks with more rum or agave nectar (if they like it sweeter).

I'll have to try sparkling water some time in place of the soda... Sounds good too! And I am definitely all about the lime/mint mixture as well, and the orange juice gives it a nice touch.
  • AJCM
    Options
    Diet Ginger Ale
    Vanilla Vodka
    splash of marachino(sp) cherry juice and a cherry.

Tastes like a cherry/cream soda. :tongue: :bigsmile:

Shannon!!!! I knew'd you be the lady to answer this Q!!!! :tongue:

Hmmmm..... that sounds good - Vanilla Vodka is a big committment though - $30 a bottle right?!?!? (I'm in Canada so we pay a little over double for everything with alcohol!)
  • MFS27
    Options

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1 orange
    2 lemons, divided
    2 limes, divided

Great minds!!!

I'll have to try sparkling water some time in place of the soda... Sounds good too! And I am definitely all about the lime/mint mixture as well, and the orange juice gives it a nice touch.

I read about an orange/basil mojito - I'm going to give it a try one time. Yep - instead of lime/mint - you use orange juice and fresh basil. How rocking is that? Now, how well it tastes....I don't know! :laugh:
  • AJCM
    Options
    Basil does have a lemon/mint flavour, so it sounds like it would all work! And I almost always have fresh basil on hand... hmmm....

I think the mojito has won! It's time to hit the stores!
    Thanks ladies!
  • MFS27
    Options
    Basil does have a lemon/mint flavour, so it sounds like it would all work! And I almost always have fresh basil on hand... hmmm....

I think the mojito has won! It's time to hit the stores!
    Thanks ladies!

Glad to be of assistance! And if you try the basil/orange combo - be sure to report back on how it tasted!
  • AJCM
    Options
    No basil tonight - gonna stick to the basics of the lime mojito!
    Thanks again!