Macaroni and Cheese

Options
Has anyone noticed that the "prepared" nutritional data on the box is kinda high. I wondered where all the calories were coming from, so I added up the "unprepared" data, the information for the milk and the information for the margarine, and discovered that there are almost 100 calories fewer per serving than the box says. So there are about 1000 calories in a box prepared according to the label, but I only found about 750 of them. Now I can eat an entire box without guilt....

Just kidding. But does anyone know anything about those 100 extra calories PER SERVING?

1 box Kraft mac n cheese, spiral + 3 tbs 2% milk + 3 tbs country crock margarine

Rae

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Has anyone noticed that the "prepared" nutritional data on the box is kinda high. I wondered where all the calories were coming from, so I added up the "unprepared" data, the information for the milk and the information for the margarine, and discovered that there are almost 100 calories fewer per serving than the box says. So there are about 1000 calories in a box prepared according to the label, but I only found about 750 of them. Now I can eat an entire box without guilt....

Just kidding. But does anyone know anything about those 100 extra calories PER SERVING?

1 box Kraft mac n cheese, spiral + 3 tbs 2% milk + 3 tbs country crock margarine

Rae
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    i noticed that too, last time i made it. i make mine with water (i know gross but it's how i like it) and since i'm only adding water i just go with the unprepared data on the box
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    the way they factored the calories may have been with a real butter or less good for you margarine.
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Now I can eat an entire box without guilt....

:laugh: :bigsmile:
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If you cut out the 2% and use skim you'd save even more calories!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    If you cut out the 2% and use skim you'd save even more calories!

Yea, but if I'm gonna eat mac and cheese, I'm putting in two extra peices of REAL American cheese.

I mean, as long as I'm doing damage, I'm gonna REALLY do damage.

This is why I don't eat it :grumble: ...
  • cassangelidy
    Options
    I make mine with 3 tablespoons of I can't believe its not butter, no milk and then put some low fat mozzerella cheese on top. Its yummy! I split it into 3 portions, one for me, one for daughter doodle and then one goes into a tupperware for daughters lunch or snack or whatever.

I figured it out...its not that many calories in the grand scheme of things...besides, you gotta have fun and be a kid every once in a while. :)
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    what about skipping the white pasta and doing it with wholewheat ... whould that be good ??
    (probably not..lol)

but do you have a recipe for homemade mac&cheese ??

may
  • firegirlred
    Options
    1 oz colby cheese
    1 oz mozarella
    1 tbsp country crock margarine light
    2 tbsp sour cream

4 oz pasta

Serves 2

Didn't count the calories, but you just can't do that to good mac n cheese. For a healthier mix, use low fat cheeses and low fat sour cream with whole wheat pasta (i like the barilla plus personally).
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    1 oz colby cheese
    1 oz mozarella
    1 tbsp country crock margarine light
    2 tbsp sour cream

4 oz pasta

Serves 2

Didn't count the calories, but you just can't do that to good mac n cheese. For a healthier mix, use low fat cheeses and low fat sour cream with whole wheat pasta (i like the barilla plus personally).

I donno if low fat cheese would work. I've tried to use it in the past, and it gets....plastic-y. :sick: I just enjoy my tiny itsy bitsy servings I sometimes get in my Lean Cuisines :laugh: But maybe Saturday I'll get some Macado's KC's Mac and Cheese...comes with chicken and brocolli, MMMMMM
  • firegirlred
    Options
    That's what i use the margarine and sour cream for. Hate Macaroni and Plastic.....
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I dont know, my tastes are changing. I made some the other nite and couldnt eat it (:huh: :sad: ) it tasted too salty.

I think I will try making it fresh with a LF recipe. I just love mac and cheese.

I do agree tho...you have to share mac and cheese with a kid to get the full experience!