Can you stop counting calories?

Options
I was thinking about what will happen once I reach my goal weight and got to thinking: will there ever be a point at which I can stop counting calories, or will I always need to constantly keep track to avoid regaining? What do you think? Is it possible to stop the counting once you get "there".

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I plan on counting for life. :) I'll give myself some leeway if I'm on a vacation or at a party, but otherwise, count. Not counting was a HUGE part of what made me fat in the first place.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    bump I'd like to know as well! But then again, I'll be happy when I reach my goal and won't mind if I will always need MFP to keep me on track! At least I'll be at my goal. But since I've been here for almost 5 months I've noticed sometimes when/if I don't log for a day or two I can usually tell if I've gone over... depending on the foods I choose to eat.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    I look at this process as a lifestyle - not a diet. Yes, I want to shed pounds, but more than that I want to be healthy and at a weight that is right for me. Counting calories is a part of that lifestyle as is weighing in once a week to make sure I'm still on track.

That's my take! Good luck in your journey!
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I plan on counting for life. :) I'll give myself some leeway if I'm on a vacation or at a party, but otherwise, count. Not counting was a HUGE part of what made me fat in the first place.

^ TOTALLY. At least for me, too.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I agree!
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Also, after so long of counting, you know your staple foods and what their nutritional values are, so it won't have to be as stringent (at least it won't seem so). :)
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I will have to pay attention and be cautious of every bite I put in my mouth for the rest of my mouth. That's just theway it is for me. I am sure there are some that could get to where they just know how much and what to eat to maintain but I'm jot one of those peeps.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    Agreed, lifestyle not diet. The way I see it, the more practice I have eyeballing portion sizes and knowing *generally* how many calories items are, that is the way I see the future. I'm already getting pretty good at both, but not perfect of course.

I guess maybe it depends on one's individual personality? Are you someone to analyze things, or are more of a free-spirit? I'm pretty analytical and no matter what food I look at I find that in my mind, my thought process is basically: how many calories is this > does this fit into my protien/carb/fat contraints (in a general sense) > should I eat, yes/no.

Even if I tried, I don't think I could NOT have that thought process go through my head.

My two cents, good luck!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    why not stop and if you notice you are gaining start again? I mean im my opinion it gets annoying lol
    I think over time you develop a good idea
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i stopped logging.
    I still kind of count calories. I know the rough calorie count of most things i eat, and i practice portion control, and know roughly what ive eaten over the course of the day, and i know roughly what my running burns, so have stopped logging, and just do it myself now, and have managed to maintain pretty well over the last few weeks doing that.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing.
    My plan once I get to my goal weight (9kg to go!) is to log for a few weeks (or as long as it takes) to work out what calorie level works for maintenance, then to stop logging for a week, log for a week, and see how I go.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I reach my goal, I plan to relax the counting quite a bit (eventually just doing estimates, but no physical tracking at all). I also hope to be very active at that point, so it won't really matter as much (I find there's a lot more leeway when exercise is involved!). I would certainly go back to tracking if there was a gain though (beyond water weight, obviously!)

I just want to make good choices, have a better sense of eyeballing correct portions, and eat healthier in general. My goal weight isn't a hard set in stone number, I'm just looking to be "healthy" and active, and feel good about my body!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've found that I can go off MFP for weeks (it was even as long as a month once!) and maintain my weight (which was my plan during those times). I think that it is entirely possible to stop logging and continue to maintain your weight if you've learned the necessary skills while you were on here. However, while it is nice that I know I can do this if I have to, or if I want to, I don't plan on freeing myself from MFP forever once I hit my goal weight. I probably will still log! And if I stop logging, I will definitely keep weighing myself to make sure that I'm not gaining, so I can get right back on track if I am!
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I will have to pay attention and be cautious of every bite I put in my mouth for the rest of my mouth. That's just theway it is for me. I am sure there are some that could get to where they just know how much and what to eat to maintain but I'm jot one of those peeps.

Same here! I know if I tried to go it alone I would lose track quickly- which is how i ended up here! I feel like I would still be on this site for a year or two after I hit my goal weight to really establish those maintenance habits