Grief and Overeating

Options
My grandpa passed away this morning. I have been doing a great job for the past couple months eating well and exercising losing a solid 18 pounds but as many as 21. I either didn't even want to eat today or I wanted to eat everything. I opted for the latter. I am so disappointed in myself and I don't want to undo all of my hard work. My husband suggested that instead of overeating and eating junk, I workout. Has anyone gone through something similar? How did you keep from getting into a rut? I feel like I want to allowing myself to grieve and have the emotions that come along with it, but not the eating that seems to follow those emotions.

Replies

• achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i lost my mom fifteen months ago and often turned to food as a solution to grief.....if you have had success in the past you really just have to deal with the grief, give yourself time to deal with your feelings, but then pull yourself up out of it and continue with your success......it is hard to move on when you lose a loved one, but they would want you to do well and live healthy.....my thoughts are with you
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    First of all, my condolences for your loss. You are going to grieve. You should grieve, it's healthy. Don't try to put it on the backburner. I agree with your husband, that you need to replace your comfort eating with SOMETHING. I'm not sure you will be able to work out every time you feel the need to stuff your face with a cake to ease your grief. When i was quitting smoking and had the craving to smoke, i would drink water until it passed. Sip, sip, sip, sip. Give it a shot. And remember, you Grandfather would want you to be healthy and happy.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My condolences for your loss! I agree with all the above posts... Maybe talking about it will help you get through it? You can turn to your friends for support. Take care.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I think most of us here eat our emotions, so we can all understand and relate. When POSSIBLE, definitely turn to a workout. It will give you endorphins and give you a great outlet. I used to love my spin classes when I was upset. I would literally sit there spinning my heart out in the dark room with tears pouring down. It was therapy. Grab a journal and write down every time you want to reach for food and why...go for a walk to breath and regroup. You will go down a slippery slope if you start eating the grief because you will then add the depression of weight gain on top of your already heavy heart, and that could be hard to pull yourself out of. My heart goes out to you, truly. ((HUGS))
  • kacione
    kacione Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear this and emotions will be running high. When my parents each passed I chose to take a long walk and honor them by remembering the good, their struggles and how supportive they always were. Eating may make you feel better for a few minutes but ultimately you will pile on more regret. Chose to walk, workout, cry and remember. Deal with one minute at a time and hold on to friends and family.
  • ShonzG
    ShonzG Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am feeling your pain.... I lost my dog (my best friend of 12 years and only companion at home) on Tuesday, and all I want to do is cry. My problem is that I don't want to eat at all.... Even just thinking about food makes me want to be sick.... I know I will lose weight as a result, but I'm sure I'll just put it back on again when I start eating appropriately...