Breakfast as soon as you wake up?

Options

Replies

• chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just can't eat that early. I have to wait until I've been up for at least an hour and a half.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i've heard this from a bunch of different places, none that i can source or whatever, but yeah, i hear that eating within the first 30 min of waking up kind of jump starts your metabolism for the day :smile: i have an egg every single morning as soon as i get up. i hard boil the week's eggs and peel them, so i can just grab one from the fridge first thing in the AM...

plus, bob said it on biggest loser :heart: so it HAS to be true lol

i've always had a problem losing weight and i was never a "breakfast person"...since i started MFP, i've been having breakfast ASAP and lost 50lbs. not saying the early breakfast is what's doing it....just sayin that it's definitely not hurting....
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    If you're referring to me then I never said short-term fasting is bad. I've done IF with good results knowing cortisol wouldn't be and issue.

As for the breakfast issue looks I was wrong about the morning spike in Cortisol being lowered by eating. Learn something new everyday...

No worries buddy, I wasn't directly it to you in a "hey, you're wrong" sense. I had just remembered reading about cortisol levels in regards to fasting and wanted to share the info.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big breakfast person... I do however have my protein shake as soon as I wake up (Literally the first thing I do after getting out of bed and making it, I'm OCD lol). I struggle getting my cals in for the day, so the earlier I start, the better chance I have at hitting my minimum cal intake for the day. I personally don't like huge meals because I don't like the feeling of a stuffed stomach, so the best thing for me is having multiple "meals" throughout the day. it's a mind thing for me (i'm sure there's science backing and disproving the thought ), but regardless I feel more stable throughout the day if I'm frequently fueling my body. I have my protein shake as soon as I wake... and I'll have my protein shake minutes before laying my head down for the night. I agree it's personal preference for "timing" your meals. Some feel timing does have a role losing weight (I do btw), but I think the urgency at which people have their meals are too "exact" in a sense. But like most have already stated on here, there are scientific studies that back both sides. Just pick on that works for you and produces the best results. If you're not hungry don't eat... if you are then eat. Just make sure you get you proper nutrition regardless on when you choose to eat.

*As always, these are my own personal thoughts and experiences... agree or disagree... but it works for me......for you? maybe....maybe not.

~Keep you head in the game, eat your veggies, exercise, and most important: be patient. It will happen....
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    So many studies argue this topic. None the less I eat a big breakfast and within 3 hours I am starving.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    The thing about IF compared to the grazing method is about muscle preservation. Does fat loss increase in a IF style of eating? I honestly don't know. What I can tell you though, I can eat 4k calories through the day. I can't do that in a IF form of eating. Well I can do it on a lean gains method. Not in a warrior diet style. Warrior diet has a feeding window of 2-4hrs. This automatically implies a caloric deficit which can be the reason for the fat reduction. The GH secretion is what helps with muscle mass preservation it's very possible it also aids the fat loss. One thing I don't think many people consider is the gherlin and GH relation. When I first started my IF I was drinking 2 protein shakes through the day before my main meal. Now I can go with out them. This means I am not as hungry. If I am not as hungry does this mean I am not producing as much GH as when i started? Or am I just use to it and ignore my hunger and GH is still as elevated? If my GH levels are decreasing I guess this means I need less calories.

This also brings up another nice tip, eating carbs before bed is a no no. People know that GH is increased in sleep. If insulin is increased the effects will be diminished.

Another thing I want to mention, is IF I don't see it working to well for sports performance. It's more as an aesthetics tool. One of my newer ideas is "eat at your AMR(TDEE) or above and burn off the excess calories with exercise." The reason for this is partially thermogenics effect, but the main reason it helps fuel the body for enhanced performance and gives the body what it needs for growth and development. The only way I can see putting all this together, maximum growth, GH secretions, high caloric in take is by doing a leangains system, as I mentioned before with a smaller feeding window I believe I suffer from indigestion. I also don't recommend working out when you're full. The only way I see of incorporating this is by doing cardio in the morning, in the afternoon/evening doing your resistance training then breaking your fast immediately following your resistance training, eating more of your carbs first. So you don't have high insulin levels when you go to bed. A very important thing to remember is... when you're taking a certain energy system, that's the energy system being taxed. For example the rumor "resistance training on a empty stomach burns more fat" Resistance training uses the 2A 2B muscle fibers. Which use use glycogen/glucose to convert to ATP not fat. It can't release fat, it just doesn't work that way.

Knowing this, it also implies it's very possible to ADD MUSCLE and lose bodyfat. Carbs and protein are used for muscular development. If you eat at your AMR(TDEE) your required carbs and proteins to build muscle... muscles will increase in size. If you create a caloric deficit (with exercise) that DOES NOT tax the 2A/2B muscle fibers. You will drop bodyfat. This implies low intensity cardio sessions for long durations.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I have never been a big breakfast eater. So I try to eat before I leave the house, it's usually something pretty small that I can make pretty fast because I usually leave at 6:30 am.
    On weekends it's usually when I am trying to wake up, Ive noticed that I feel more awake if I eat breakfast and take my vitamins every day.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big breakfast person... I do however have my protein shake as soon as I wake up (Literally the first thing I do after getting out of bed and making it, I'm OCD lol). I struggle getting my cals in for the day, so the earlier I start, the better chance I have at hitting my minimum cal intake for the day. I personally don't like huge meals because I don't like the feeling of a stuffed stomach, so the best thing for me is having multiple "meals" throughout the day. it's a mind thing for me (i'm sure there's science backing and disproving the thought ), but regardless I feel more stable throughout the day if I'm frequently fueling my body. I have my protein shake as soon as I wake... and I'll have my protein shake minutes before laying my head down for the night. I agree it's personal preference for "timing" your meals. Some feel timing does have a role losing weight (I do btw), but I think the urgency at which people have their meals are too "exact" in a sense. But like most have already stated on here, there are scientific studies that back both sides. Just pick on that works for you and produces the best results. If you're not hungry don't eat... if you are then eat. Just make sure you get you proper nutrition regardless on when you choose to eat.

*As always, these are my own personal thoughts and experiences... agree or disagree... but it works for me......for you? maybe....maybe not.

~Keep you head in the game, eat your veggies, exercise, and most important: be patient. It will happen....

Yes it's a personal preference in terms of calories intake timing. This doesn't imply that both have the same biochemical effect. They behave in the body differently. The only study I have seen that supports "grazing eating method" is to prevent binging and over eating. A big part of an IF method is over eating. SO this is not what we want. At glance it appears that there are studies that contradict each other in caloric intake timings. They're not, one is about "controlling binging and over eating" the IF method supports biochemical responses. These are 2 different things. If the grazing method had a study done that says "eating multiple times a day increases growth hormone" than that would be contradictory, but that's not what these studies are saying.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Transient hormonal fluctuations play very little role in overall long term body weight and body composition.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yes it's a personal preference in terms of calories intake timing. This doesn't imply that both have the same biochemical effect. They behave in the body differently. The only study I have seen that supports "grazing eating method" is to prevent binging and over eating. A big part of an IF method is over eating. SO this is not what we want. At glance it appears that there are studies that contradict each other in caloric intake timings. They're not, one is about "controlling binging and over eating" the IF method supports biochemical responses. These are 2 different things. If the grazing method had a study done that says "eating multiple times a day increases growth hormone" than that would be contradictory, but that's not what these studies are saying.

My point is that people need to make their own judgement on consumption in regards with "when, how much, and frequency". The psycho babble of conflicting scientific studies just confuses most (it certainly does me) and ultimately the frustration will mess with attitudes and drive to become healthier. If you're scientifically wired, then yes, by all means go with the studies and do what you believe is the right course of action as long as it works for you. Diet and exercise isn't an exact science and trying to push someone a certain way by adding a link to an abstract of a journal found on the internet isn't always valid for every individual. There's so much room for human error when trying to take a study and applying in a manor other than a guideline will drive most people mad. I know I don't have all the fancy machines in my home to break down what my body is actually doing on a biochemical level, I can only look at fancy graphs of a study based on some other individual who was tested in a controlled environment and meets the criteria of the general population. Am I saying we should discard these studies because we don't have the equipment to perform our own personal tests? Not at all... just dont get too wrapped up in the science behind the method if it will leave you discouraged.

The best I can do to control my health without going bonkers is basing my progress on I feel and think. My head tells me that I feel stable, eat less, and feel more energetic if I eat more frequent timed meals. So to say size, frequency, and timing irrelevant to MY weight loss is bogus. Yes, biochemically there lies some discrepency between my thoughts and what's actually happening inside me, we will never know now will we? Regardless it has worked for me to use that method. If I was "misinformed" with myths on weight loss and health... so be it... regardless it worked and my doctor visits back it up. Did everything I try work? It surely did not... but with patience and trial and error I was able to find what worked. Either way, discussing ideas and keeping and open mind to other's ideas without getting wrapped up in big medical terms, charts, and graphs worked beautifully for me.

I knew I should have stayed away from this topic... it's like responding to your significants other's question "Do I look fat in this?"
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    No way should you have stayed away from this topic, your point is very valid, I completely agree with you. It's so overwhelming the information that is out there, and trying to find whats right and what isn't. That's why I had to leave WW, I couldn't take the rules anymore. I'm eating healthier and working out MOSTLY for mental stability and healthy, so I absolutely go by how things make me feel. When something makes me feel like crap, I know that's what I need to stay away from. I personally do better when I can have the smaller meals 5 or 6 times a day, it makes me feel a sense of stability, I'm not getting to a hungry point, and I'm not at a full point either. When I'm able to to eat like that. (Not easy to do working with students in the schools, but I will be doing it a lot over the summer).

My point is that people need to make their own judgement on consumption in regards with "when, how much, and frequency". The psycho babble of conflicting scientific studies just confuses most (it certainly does me) and ultimately the frustration will mess with attitudes and drive to become healthier. If you're scientifically wired, then yes, by all means go with the studies and do what you believe is the right course of action as long as it works for you. Diet and exercise isn't an exact science and trying to push someone a certain way by adding a link to an abstract of a journal found on the internet isn't always valid for every individual. There's so much room for human error when trying to take a study and applying in a manor other than a guideline will drive most people mad. I know I don't have all the fancy machines in my home to break down what my body is actually doing on a biochemical level, I can only look at fancy graphs of a study based on some other individual who was tested in a controlled environment and meets the criteria of the general population. Am I saying we should discard these studies because we don't have the equipment to perform our own personal tests? Not at all... just dont get too wrapped up in the science behind the method if it will leave you discouraged.

The best I can do to control my health without going bonkers is basing my progress on I feel and think. My head tells me that I feel stable, eat less, and feel more energetic if I eat more frequent timed meals. So to say size, frequency, and timing irrelevant to MY weight loss is bogus. Yes, biochemically there lies some discrepency between my thoughts and what's actually happening inside me, we will never know now will we? Regardless it has worked for me to use that method. If I was "misinformed" with myths on weight loss and health... so be it... regardless it worked and my doctor visits back it up. Did everything I try work? It surely did not... but with patience and trial and error I was able to find what worked. Either way, discussing ideas and keeping and open mind to other's ideas without getting wrapped up in big medical terms, charts, and graphs worked beautifully for me.

I knew I should have stayed away from this topic... it's like responding to your significants other's question "Do I look fat in this?"
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    In the past I never felt hungry in the mornings. I always ate breakfast between 10am - 12pm. I'm up between 5 and 6am every morning. My weight at that time was out of control as well and I would eat too much food at one sitting.

When I changed my eating habits and lifestyle in general I started to eat breakfast within 30 to 45 mins of waking up. If I don't I start to feel ravished. Like I haven't eaten in days. I also stayed on a meal schedule of eating every 2.5/3 hours.

I have seen a difference in me. My weight loss is steady. I don't snack like I use to because I'm satisfied longer. My body is on a schedule and I know when I'm pass due to eat because it lets me know. I think thats my metabolism telling me to feed. Before this change I never experienced that.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I used to eat 7 times a day, every day. Same food every day as well. Then, I gained knowledge. Losing weight is as simple as this, assuming you don't have a metabolic disorder:

1. Find your maintenance level.
    2. Create a 10-20% deficit.
    3. Hit your minimum requirements of fat and protein as these are essential.
    4. Disregard trying to time meals, avoid carbs, avoid eating late at night, making sure you eat breakfast, etc., as all of these things are VERY irrelevant in regards to body weight and body composition.
    5. Get MOST of your foods from whole food sources as they tend to be dense in micronutrients, but DON'T BE AFRAID of the food that you love. Cereal, fast food, candy, ice cream. It can ALL be enjoyed in moderation and you fcan ENJOY FOOD.

LIVE LIFE, and enjoy a healthy relationship with food. Without it, LONG TERM weight loss and maintenance are very difficult.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever the hell you want to. You don't have to eat breakfast if you don't want to, but if you prefer to, then go for it. There's zero time limit on breakfast and zero constraints on when you should eat.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Eat whenever the hell you want to. You don't have to eat breakfast if you don't want to, but if you prefer to, then go for it. There's zero time limit on breakfast and zero constraints on when you should eat.

Lol.

Broken record, sir. Broken record.

At least I feel like one 78.7% of the time.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Lol.

Broken record, sir. Broken record.

At least I feel like one 78.7% of the time.
    Going for the "sear it into their brains" approach.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Keeping this on ctrl+v:

"Losing weight is as simple as this, assuming you don't have a metabolic disorder:

1. Find your maintenance calorie amount.
    4. DISREGARD trying to time meals, avoid carbs, avoid sugars, trying to control metabolic hormones (insulin, GH, IGF-1, etc.), avoid eating late at night, making sure you eat breakfast, etc., as all of these things are VERY irrelevant in regards to body weight and body composition.
    5. Get MOST of your foods from whole food sources as they tend to be dense in micronutrients, but DON'T BE AFRAID of the food that you love. Cereal, fast food, candy, ice cream. It can ALL be enjoyed in moderation and you can ENJOY FOOD.

LIVE LIFE, and enjoy a healthy relationship with food. Without it, LONG TERM weight loss and maintenance are very difficult. "

Feel free to add.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Keeping this on ctrl+v:

"Losing weight is as simple as this, assuming you don't have a metabolic disorder:

1. Find your maintenance calorie amount.
    4. DISREGARD trying to time meals, avoid carbs, avoid sugars, trying to control metabolic hormones (insulin, GH, IGF-1, etc.), avoid eating late at night, making sure you eat breakfast, etc., as all of these things are VERY irrelevant in regards to body weight and body composition.
    5. Get MOST of your foods from whole food sources as they tend to be dense in micronutrients, but DON'T BE AFRAID of the food that you love. Cereal, fast food, candy, ice cream. It can ALL be enjoyed in moderation and you can ENJOY FOOD.

LIVE LIFE, and enjoy a healthy relationship with food. Without it, LONG TERM weight loss and maintenance are very difficult. "

Feel free to add.
    I'd suggest adding what those minimal requirements are, especially for protein, being ~1g per pound LBM for those who are physically active! Dietary fat having a more general "guideline" of .5g+ per pound LBM.
  • jamontagne
    jamontagne Posts: 115
    Options
    hi, i study biomedical science/nutrition. you should stop eating 3 hours before you go to bed, have 8 hours sleep and eat within 45minutes to an hour after rising each morning. this is the most effective way to keep your metabolism at its peak for the entire day. also doing some form of exercise before breakfast is extremely beneficial to weight loss and boosted metabolism.
    Way easier said than done - lol. Just eating breakfast is a step for me! I'll give it another week of actually eating it before I push myself to eat before I leave for work (rather than at work at 9am).
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I'd suggest adding what those minimal requirements are, especially for protein, being ~1g per pound LBM for those who are physically active! Dietary fat having a more general "guideline" of .5g+ per pound LBM.

Ah, yes.