Protein Ideas?

Options
Li_Willi
Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
Hey everyone! I'm looking for some high protein ideas that won't send my sodium intake (and my calories if possible) through the roof... any ideas? Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    lean fresh (not processed) meats, reduced sodium cottage cheese, Greek Yogurt, protein powder, soy milk, eggs, egg whites, reduced fat cheeses, skim milk are all great lower cal protein options.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Chicken, turkey beef, pork, tuna, eggs, milk, cottage cheese (high sodium but you could rinse and press it.), nuts, Greek yogurt
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I make my own shredded chicken lunchmeat. You just put 3 large (not the frozen kind but fresh) chicken breasts in a crock pot, cover with lots of water, and turn it on low and let it cook all day (8 hours). When you get back, you can shred it with a fork then drain and store in an airtight ziploc freezer bag. Each pot makes about 7 large 4oz servings:

(Per 4oz serving)
    Calories: 130
    Sodium: 50mg
    Total Fat: 3g
    Saturated Fat: 1g
    Total Carbs: 0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g
    Dietary Fiber: 0g
    Sugars: 0g
    Protein: 28g
    Cholesterol: 90 mg

Good source of protein, very lean, and very easy to make.

You can also rapid boil it in a large stock pot for 2 hours on high heat, just make sure the water level stays up when you do this.
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Get a big bag of Kirkland natural almonds at Costco/Price Club. No salt, lots of protein. 22 g/serving (1/3 cup)
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here everyone, thanks! Feel free to keep them coming! :smile:
  • MicheleRussell
    MicheleRussell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I purchased a case of premier nutrition protein shakes at costco to use as a breakfast replacement meal. I didn't really care for them all that much, my body really doesn't feel very satisfied with a liquid meal. Sooo....I have been using them up as coffee creamer. I take a 2 oz. shot glass full and add it to my cup of coffee every morning. In 2 oz. you add 5.5 g. of protein and 29 calories. Plus it makes me feel like I am still using regular coffee creamer, just way better for you! A whole entire shake has 160 calories, 30 g. of protein, 3 g. of fat, and 5 g. of carb (3 of that being dietary fiber).
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Very Lean Protein Choices: 35 calories and 1 gram of fat per serving. One serving equals:

1 ounce turkey breast or chicken breast, skin removed
    1 ounce Fish fillet (flounder, sole, scrod, cod, etc)
    1 ounce canned tuna in water
    1 ounce Shellfish (clams, lobster, scallop, shrimp)
    3/4 cup cottage cheese, non fat or low fat
    2 each egg whites
    1/4 cup egg subsitute
    1 ounce fat-free cheese
    1/2 cup beans - cooked (black, kidney, chick peas, or lentils), count as 1 protein and 1 starch/bread

Lean Protein Choices have 55 calories and 2-3 grams of fat per serving. One serving equals:

1 ounce chicken or turkey, dark meat, skin removed
    1 ounce salmon, swordfish, herring
    1 ounce lean beef (flank steak, london broil, tenderloin, and roast beef) *
    1 ounce veal, roast or lean chop*
    1 ounce lamb, roast or lean chop*
    1 ounce pork, tenderloin or fresh ham*
    1 ounce low fat cheese (3 grams or less of fat per ounce)
    1 ounce low fat luncehon meats (with 3 grams or less of fat per ounce)
    1/4 cup 4.5% cottage cheese
    2 medium sardines

*Limit 1-2 times per week

Medium Fat Proteins have 75 calories and 5 grams of fat per serving. One serving equals:

1 ounce beef (any prime cut) corned beef, ground beef**
    1 ounce pork chop
    1 each whole egg (medium)**
    1 ounce mozerella cheese
    1/4 cup ricotta cheese
    4 ounces tofu

** chose these very infrequently

Amber
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    On my high protein breakfast days I love to make egg white and oatmeal pancakes. They sound terrible but they're actually wonderful, I like to add a yogurt to boost the protein too.

Mix 1/4c oatmeal (I use plain, quick cooking oats but you could also substitute a packet of instant flavored stuff) with two egg whites until it is a little frothy. Lightly oil a nonstick frying pan with 1tsp of oil or the spray stuff and divide the egg and oatmeal mixture into two parts to make two pancakes. Cook until both sides are lightly browned and serve with 1TBS light syrup and yogurt (I like the syrup and yogurt mixed together....but I'm strange that way.)

Sooooo good!
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Not sure if its readily available where you are, but Quorn is a brilliant choice if you're after a low fat, high protein food! It's so easy to cook, really versatile and very low calorie - maybe I'm just biased as a life-long veggie, but what's not to love ;)