Anyone else having issues with strenghth training triggering

djthom
djthom Posts: 651 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Lately whenever I push myself hard I get really bad headaches. They don't last long, but they're really strong. So far I've gotten them the last 2 days when doing walking lunges and tricep dips. I had it happen a couple of weeks ago when doing pushups. It feels almost like a build up of pressure in my neck and head the harder my workout gets, until I can't take it any longer. When I stop it feels like my heads going to pop and then it slowly dissipates leaving me achy. Has this happened to anyone else? If so how do you get around it? I don't want to keep cutting my workouts short.

Replies

• End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Could be a combination of breathing technique and neck position during the exercises. Keep your neck in a neutral position and breath out with the resistance.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I'd check this out with your doctor to work out why it's happening before you look for a solution.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    My first guess would be improper technique (body positioning and/or breahing). Are you working with a trainer or someone who can ensure you are doing your weight training properly?
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Could be a combination of breathing technique and neck position during the exercises. Keep your neck in a neutral position and breath out with the resistance.

That would be my guess too....
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    I had this happen last night after pushing myself on squats - it only lasted about 10 mins though.

Sorry! No advice; just commiserating.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Check with a doctor. My husband has headaches like that and it turns out he has disc degeneration. He has to watch himself now to make sure it doesn't get worse. And there are exercises he has to do to strengthen the muscles to keep it from getting worse.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    First of all, see your doctor and have your blood pressure checked. Strength training increases blood pressure while you are doing it and if your blood pressure is already high, then it can increase it enough to trigger a headache. Hence the reason it goes away quickly, because after the exertion is stopped the pressure goes back down. This shouldn't happen if you have normal blood pressure, though, unless you are doing the Valsalva maneuver and causing a severe spike in blood pressure. So, if your doctor says you have normal blood pressure, then you definitely need to watch your breathing while lifting. (I think everyone should watch their breathing, but it is even more important if it is causing a spike in blood pressure.) Breathe out on the exertion. Whatever the hardest part of the movement, thats when you breathe out.

Also, don't trust those blood pressure cuffs in your local pharmacy. They aren't always accurate to begin with and if you are larger or smaller then average it will also skew the reading. Go see a doctor to have it checked.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Thank you for all the replies! I will definately start watching my breathing and if it continues check with my doctor, my blood presure could be a little high. I've also just started getting a cold I think my head is feeling stuffy and maybe that is adding to it.
This discussion has been closed.