C25k?

Options
Hi all,

Keep hearing mentions of C25k and I just wondered what it was all about?!

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It is a really great running program for those how don't run. it stands for Couch to 5K and it is intended to get you gradually from not running (i.e. "couch") to a 5k distance (3.2 miles and a popular race distance.). It starts with one minute of running and 90 seconds of walking repeated over 30 mins, with 3 work outs a week. Each week, you add more running and less walking. There are smart phone apps that will give you the prompts, so you don't even have to think about it. If you are not a runner, but have wanted to try it, this is a great way to start.
  • txjennk
    txjennk Posts: 2
    Options
    It's really Couch to 5K and it's a way to go from never running or not running in a long time to being able to run a 5K in about 8 weeks. Mine is going very slowly because of some health issues, but I love it.:smile:
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I'm on week 5 and when I started, I couldn't even jog 1/4 mile. I can now jog 2 miles non-stop!!! (and i am 5 foot 4 and 195!!!) I am LOVING it! It's free, you can just print out the program and it tells you what to do! If you can, I recommend downloading the program on your ipod. It will promt you when to walk and when to run. I tried to get it on my mp3 but it didn't work. I have to bring my cell phone to use the stop watch on it so I know when to run and when to walk. It works fine for me, though! If you are at all interested in running, check it out!!! http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    And there are podcast you can download to your MP3 player or ipod. It is great program for beginners. I have never been able to run more than 1 min without colapsing on the ground. Yesterday, I ran 25 mins straight, that finished my Week 6. It is a nine week program.

The websites are (www.c25k.com) you can find everything from this site.
    This is the link to the written structure of the program (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml)

I love c25k:love::smooched: :flowerforyou:
  • alys_in_wonderland
    alys_in_wonderland Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Brill - thanks for your replies ladies! I've only just signed myself up to this and I keep seeing all these abbreviations and different group names being bandied about and I hadn't got a clue what was going on!
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I definitely reccommend starting it. I'm in the middle of week 4. I've always been athletic, but never a runner. And I was always jealous of those runner people. Great legs. Great endurance. Great stress relief.

It's an awesome way to build up your fitness--plus it's a small, select group of people that can run a few miles without stopping!