GP- weight - shame :(

Options
2»

Replies

• miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Also, Arnold, if you pay any attention at all, you'll see it has EVERYTHING to do with bedside manner. If a doctor wants to gently bring up weight issues, and perhaps make suggestions, that's fine. FINE. But, to take a look at a patient in the office, get a blood pressure cuff, put it on, say "Wow, you are significantly overweight, aren't you!?!" and then have the gall to insist that the patient's blood pressure issues are a result of weight? Or, perhaps, dismiss all that documentation the patient brought in (because OBVIOUSLY, they left out the dozen ho-hos they eat daily), and insist on a grade 1 level nutrition presentation, or even turn a basic visit for a set purpose into an excuse to lecture someone who isn't the "ideal" weight? That's all bedside manner, and that's not oversensitivity, that's called being insulted because someone is insulting you.

Wow! Why so angry? The original post I read sure didn't say anything like this. It said the doctor asked her what she thought about it and then gave her some information. It didn't say he/she said anything about "you are significantly overweight aren't you?" It didn't say that the doc dismissed the documentaiton the patient brought in or lectured anyone. Overweight is in fact a risk factor for high blood pressure..........note I said risk factor.......not always a direct cause and it certainly would be an important factor in prescribing birth control pills.
    There's a very simple reason I'm angry about this stuff. It's because it has happened to me, and people who react like Arnold did are basically saying that overweight people *deserve* any rotten treatment they get. That hacks me off something fierce. Plus, Arnold was suggesting that if the OP had just proven she was trying (as if she should have to prove anything to be treated decently), the doc would have been nicer to her, and that's just another whole load of horse puckey. Whether or not the OP's physician intended to be rude or condescending, it certainly looks like he was - and that is a problem. A BIG problem. Particularly since a lot of people will blow off everything a doc has to say if they can't be arsed to be polite about it (not that they SHOULD do this, but it's pretty much human nature).
  • arnoldnagy
    arnoldnagy Posts: 51 Member
    Options

To go with the Corvette analogy, I took my 'Vette into the shop for new tires. While I was there, the mechanic berated me for a half an hour about the paint job my kids wrecked and I haven't had a chance to get fixed yet, then he spent ANOTHER half an hour telling me that I shouldn't allow my kids anywhere near paint or cars - EVER.

We're not talking about a paint job here. You're driving with the parking brake on and no oil in the engine.

If your doctor doesn't tell you you are overweight every time you see him, get a new doctor. What other medical problems would you like your doctor to ignore because it might embarrass you?

Arnold
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I believe doctors should be taking a more active stance on weight issues with their patients. I know it's hard to hear. especially if your doctor is one who speaks very directly (not the happy go lucky joke around with type). people are killing themselves with their lack of healthy eating and exercise. I would think it's a hard situation for the doctor to discuss as well. no one wants to tell someone they are fat. We all know we have issues that need to be fixed. That's why we're here. So why it is different for your doctor (the person responsible for ensuring you are healthy) to discuss it with you?

if you have a personality conflict with your doctor, find one you are comfortable talking to.

OP...you are upset because you didn't go in to discuss weight issues...only birth control. But...what if they doctor had noticed something else serious (like potential skin cancer or something else visible), would you have wanted him/her to only discuss the birth control and let you walk out?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My NHS GP stopped weighing me or taking my blood pressure when renewing my Pill prescription! I asked to see another one and got a proper check-up and a full discussion of contraceptive options. Far more pleasing. No weigh-in though, which was a shame as I want to show off how much I've lost!
  • ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I want everyone to know what not all people that are overweight eat insane amounts of food. I am tired of seeing weight loss shows that show people eating the right side of the McDonalds menu or 3 bags of chips for a snack. If it was really that simple losing weight would be easy for everyone! I would like to have Chris Powell come to my house and help me lose weight and show that I eat fairly healthy and exercise and can't seem to lose a pound.

Part of the reason some of us feel so much shame is because the general public see these shows and accept the fact that everyone overweight eats like that which is simply not true.

I have not talked to my GP about my weight. I hate when they tell you the general stuff what we already know. Most Dr I have seen don't care enough to dig in and see if there is a real issue.
  • tgumeebee
    tgumeebee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Arnold - I don't have any medical issues. BP great, cholesterol great, sugar great, ect. I wear a size 10 jean. I have a 34 inch waist. I only went to the doctor for a life insurance exam. I am 5'11 and weigh 188. A lil heavy i admit but nothing worthy of move more, eat less. I didn't go to him to get the "miracle" cure. I didn't even ask him to recommend a method to lose weight. I had already joined a gym and had been going for about 3 months prior to seeing him. Shame on you for assuming there was a health issue due to over use of a fork. I have no guilt or embarrassment about my weight, I simply was identifying with the original writer of the posting that doctors can be a bit harsh.
  • shelcof
    shelcof Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Re: original post:

It has been brought up twice with my PCP, and then he mentioned it a time or two. But the fact is, I needed him to bring it up. My dad was in great shape (6'0 175lbs) walked 4xweek and lifted weights on his off days. He dropped over of a heart attack at 55. This significantly increases my chance of heart disease. Then, his cousin, dropped over in her early 50s of a heart attack, again increasing my risk.

So we did a baseline work up. My cholesterol was slightly elevated, my BMI was 43, I was having palpitations and on a bunch of meds for GERD and asthma...all which could be contributed to by my weight.

He asked if I wanted to be referred to a dietician, and I went.

That was several years ago, I didn't lose a thing.

BUT
    he has mentioned weight, when I went in for back issues, as a solution.

THEN
    A friend of mine needed a kidney and they wouldn't even consider testing me until my BMI went below 36 (currently 34!!)

Doctors have a responsibility to counsel their patients on unhealthy problems. Whether its something you can change about your lifestyle (such as smoking, which while it is a physical addiction, its also something you can change) They would be negligent if they didn't.

But they can only give you the tools to help you, they can't do it for you.
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I was at my largest, my GP referred me to a group class thing where we all met up and talked about weight and went on a shopping trip with a nutritionist who explained a few things to us (mostly about nutrition, 5 a day, basic things, but notably that Coke Zero was made to be marketed to men - I'll never forget that tidbit whether it was true or false!). It didn't really help me very much, to be honest - although I did eventually start dieting, but it was good that my GP was taking an interest.

My hubby is in the industry, and yes Coke Zero is meant to be 'The Man's Diet Coke'. I think it's tastier than Diet Coke though, and I'm a chick :D

Original post...I get embarrassed and ashamed anytime anyone brings up weight, but I channel it into motivation. Like some other posts have said, if people around me had confronted me with the reality sooner, maybe I wouldn't have gotten to the point that I did. That said, the desire to change has to come from within. I hope you can use it as motivation to work harder and next time you visit the GP show off all the progress you're making!