Mom of two, breastfeeding, how to lose weight

Hello all.
I have been reading alot of posts, and articles on losing weight after having a baby and breastfeeding. My son is now seven weeks old, and I know it takes time to lose weight, I am not expecting to have been back to prepregnancy yet, but I have not lost any weight since I left the hospital. Its just not budging. I am not on a diet cause I know it can affect my milk supply. I have been exercising 4-5 times a weeks for the past couple of weeks. eating healthy,
Has anyone done Weight Watchers and breastfeeding? I want to join but I want to be wise about where I put my money when it comes to fitness and all.
If u have any advice I would appreciate it.
Thank you
I could use some new MFP friends.

Replies

• kmlt08
    kmlt08 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Hello all.
    I have been reading alot of posts, and articles on losing weight after having a baby and breastfeeding. My son is now seven weeks old, and I know it takes time to lose weight, I am not expecting to have been back to prepregnancy yet, but I have not lost any weight since I left the hospital. Its just not budging. I am not on a diet cause I know it can affect my milk supply. I have been exercising 4-5 times a weeks for the past couple of weeks. eating healthy,
    Has anyone done Weight Watchers and breastfeeding? I want to join but I want to be wise about where I put my money when it comes to fitness and all.
    If u have any advice I would appreciate it.
    Thank you
    I could use some new MFP friends.

Congratulations on your baby boy! I started my weight loss journey the day I delivered my son (Oct. 19, 2010) I did it on my own but have heard great success from WW. I also am nursing my son (he will be 8 months on sunday) and really watched how much I worked out in the beginning while my milk was establishing. If you would like my recent blog talks about how I have lost almost 95lbs in 8 months http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kmlt08/view/since-so-many-people-ask-113774 and please feel free to friend me! I would love to help support you on your goal to becoming a size healthier!
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    I did weight watchers while breast feeding and very successfully lost 35 lbs. It CAN be done.

But if you don't want to spend the $ on WW, you can ask a Lactation Consultant what your calories JUST for bf'ing should be. Then, set up MFP as if you were not bf'ing. Add your bf'ing in as exercise - cardiovascular - breastfeeding. Then - EAT THOSE CALORIES!!

I suggest doing it this way because you can play around with the caloric input. You may find 300 is too little, or 500 is too much. Also, later on as you begin to wean, you can slowly back those calories down.

Gosh, I keep accidentally hitting Tab ... keep having to edit, sorry.

One more thing - while bf'ing - YOU NEED FAT. Lots and lots of good, healthy fat from nuts, avocados, eggs, full fat dairy, EVOO. If you struggle to eat all of your calories, start drizzling EVOO on things. Good luck!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    I am also breastfeeding my 5 month old. U can add me as a friend, but my friend did weight watchers and breastfed and did ok her supply went down some. Only downfall would prob be cost of it. I would def stick w/ this site to help. I was back at my prepreg weight at 4 mos. Post partum using this site and still breast feeding. Good luck
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Thank u all for your encouragement. I know I am not the only one, but its hard not to feel that way. Its good to see that there are others out there who have gone through this and are doing it. I know my biggest challenge is not giving up when I do not see fast results. I have been looking at joining a gym. There is one near my home fro 24.99 a month, does that sound like a good price? they also only charge a $15 sign up fee and no year contract,
    Still on the fence about WW I think I can figure out some healthy meal plans especially with all the info here.
    Thanks again
  • caterpillardreams
    Wowo good job on the weight loss, u look amazing
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    If you can find time (yeah, right!) to pump also, that will help with your milk production and with the weightloss. I exclusively double-pumped for 10 months (four times a day). The weight just melted off and that was with eating whatever I wanted! (Pre-MFP days!) When you start to double-pump, you trick your body into thinking it needs to produce milk for two. (It takes a good week or so.) Soon you'll have more milk than you'll know what to do with!

Ahhhhh, if only I could lactate again . . . . :)

Good luck!
  • armywife26
    armywife26 Posts: 92 Member
    I BF all 3 of my kids and lost weight while doing so VERY slow but it can be done, it is not about being on a diet it is about eating healthly and working out. All of witch will benfint both you and baby! Drinks lots and lots and lots of water and you will be fine!
  • caterpillardreams
    If you can find time (yeah, right!) to pump also, that will help with your milk production and with the weightloss. I exclusively double-pumped for 10 months (four times a day). The weight just melted off and that was with eating whatever I wanted! (Pre-MFP days!) When you start to double-pump, you trick your body into thinking it needs to produce milk for two. (It takes a good week or so.) Soon you'll have more milk than you'll know what to do with!

Ahhhhh, if only I could lactate again . . . . :)

Good luck!

What do u mean by double pump? sounds like Ill be milking all day. already feel like a factory. lol
  • 2BabyMama
    2BabyMama Posts: 65
    Hi there. I'm a SAHM of a 3-year old little girl and a 7-month old baby boy and I had many of the same questions about breastfeeding (I still am) and dieting/exercise. I've only been on here a couple weeks, but I found at first, when I used the calories alloted me, I was still hungry all day long and I knew that couldn't be good for my milk supply. So, I add "nursing mom" into my food log every day and it subtracts 300 calories from what you've already added. This seems to be a good amount for me. I also try to eat my exercise calories and so far I've lost weight both weeks and my milk supply has been fine. I think the key is to start very conservatively and see how your weight loss/milk supply goes and then adjust from there. Feel free to add me!
  • anume08
    anume08 Posts: 27 Member
    bump
  • lbehm
    lbehm Posts: 21 Member
    I have a 3 month old and have been on here since she was 1 month. Like another poster mentioned I put in exclusively breastfeeding each day and it gives me back 300 calories. I talked to my dr about dieting and he said it will not affect my milk. And it hasn't.

I have done weight watchers before and have been doing MVP for over 2 months. I find this way better (and cheaper!)
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    "What do u mean by double pump? sounds like Ill be milking all day. already feel like a factory. lol "

:)

I had a dual electric breast pump. Yes, I did feel like a milking factory with both of those suckers (literally!) stuck to my breasts four times a day, but I got used to it. I was pumping 24 oz at my peak production. One time I forgot to switch out the collection bottles (I think I had fallen asleep!) and I had milk all over me.

Electric pumps are a bit pricey. I think I paid $250 for a Medela pump. Best investment in my life, though!
  • caterpillardreams
    well thanks for the advice, I will look into WW and see if it will be good for me. WOw 24 oz, I need to start pumping more. I just hardly have time between the baby and my toddler and now I have a part time job, you go girl. I will try and pump maybe twice a day.
    I will just take my time and see what works for me. My body has changed so much, its hard to figure it out, I know people always say well I used to be skinny, and I was and I'm not trying to hold on to the past just trying to realize how to get healthy again. I also used to be in the military so I had to work out and had to test, now I am accountable to myself. I work hard at it but it can be discouraging. I am happy that I do get to breastfeed, I see the doc in a couple of weeks I will consult with him.
    Thank you all again for the wonderful advice and sharing ur experiences.
  • jacbre
    jacbre Posts: 7
    I too am a mom of 2 with a 3yr old boy and a 7 1/2 month old boy. I signed up for WW. They do have stuff from BF. They give you more points to use. I just started the 1st week I lost 3 pounds but not sure how this week will be. I have heard pumping will help but I never have time to pump. Good luck. If you want add me :)
  • caterpillardreams
    I too am a mom of 2 with a 3yr old boy and a 7 1/2 month old boy. I signed up for WW. They do have stuff from BF. They give you more points to use. I just started the 1st week I lost 3 pounds but not sure how this week will be. I have heard pumping will help but I never have time to pump. Good luck. If you want add me :)

Keep me updated on how it goes, good job on the weight loss so far.
  • Hi Ladies, I am a mom to a beautiful 5 month old girl. She is my 5th baby and I nursed with the last 3. I have NEVER dropped weight like it seems so many others have while breastfeeding. With Daisy's birth I lost 33 pounds right away but attribute that to the polyhydramnios(too much amniotic fluid) and the fact I was a bit overweight when I got pregnant with her. Since the first of April I have only lost 2lbs. I work out at least 3 times a week and seeing hardly any change has been frustrating. HOWEVER I never counted calories til now. A friend recommended this site. I noticed how in the first day I had eaten WAY over my 1200( I eat 1600 now since breastfeeding) THe number for calories went over 2,000! WOW how those calories add up. Maybe I have just been eating way more than my 5ft 2inch frame needs. I exclusively BF Daisy and she is right where she is supposed to be in growth. It will be interesting to see how she does with counting calories AND making much wiser choices in my eating habbits.
    It is GREAT to see other BF moms on here:)
  • twojurfin
    twojurfin Posts: 75 Member
    I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one out there wondering why the pounds are just coming off during breastfeeding. I have a two month old- been eating healthy and doing what I should be and.. nada... zilch.... IT is very frustrating.
  • mmel1109
    mmel1109 Posts: 3 Member
    I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 4 1/2 month old (both boys)... I lost all of my weight and then some from the first baby and now I can't lose anything with this one!! I have 45 lbs to go to get back to my "normal" weight and I can't even lose ONE pound!! I'm nursing, so I'm not trying to do anything too crazy, but I can't stand being this big still! I look more pregnant than my friends that are 6 and 7 months pregnant!! I've been working my butt off at the gym and eating healthier than ever and NOTHING! Has anyone else had the "second child syndrome" I keep hearing about?? LOL
  • caterpillardreams
    I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 4 1/2 month old (both boys)... I lost all of my weight and then some from the first baby and now I can't lose anything with this one!! I have 45 lbs to go to get back to my "normal" weight and I can't even lose ONE pound!! I'm nursing, so I'm not trying to do anything too crazy, but I can't stand being this big still! I look more pregnant than my friends that are 6 and 7 months pregnant!! I've been working my butt off at the gym and eating healthier than ever and NOTHING! Has anyone else had the "second child syndrome" I keep hearing about?? LOL

Well with my first it took a while to lose some weight and I still was 20 lbs from my goal weight and she was 2 1/2 when I got pregnant. And I know this weight is gonna take even longer. We can be here for eachother. I realize my body has changed completely and I just have to be patient. Some people say it can take up to a year especially of u put on a lot of weight during pregnancy. which I am delaing with. But today I am not discouraged. I am just gonna keep trucking. It takes hard work for a lifetime, Good luck
  • mama_corn
    mama_corn Posts: 24
    First off, Congratulations!

I would suggest waiting to start WW until about the 3 month because by then your milk supply is established and Bf'ing also gets easier by that point too. Pumping is good but it not as efficient as the baby. Also pumping will also lead you to produce more milk which is good for storage and for bottles. When I was nursing I really didn't the weight loss take effect until he was about 9 months old. I also had to be careful when I worked out and sweated cause I would end up with mastitis which is not the deal.

What it boils down to is that you just have to listen to your body and baby to figure out what works for you both. :smile: