Shocked and Speechless. Is this true?

Options
Hey everyone. I read this article last night and while it was lengthy I was glued to my screen and couldn't stop reading. Has anyone else heard about this? Is it a hoax? So disturbing. I am guessing that everyone we know has either been directly affected by cancer or knows someone who has. If anyone has anything to add, for or against, I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

Jen

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/11/burzynski-the-movie.aspx

Replies

• erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If that piqued your interest, I recommend checking out the documentary "Food Matters," which you can watch for free at the link below. There are lots of things the pharmaceutical industry doesn't want us to know.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/food-matters/
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Looks like someone is trying to sell a movie to me. That the FDA forces you to properly test a substance before pumping it into a human is not really a bad thing.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Im bumping to watch for later.....

However I have a hard time believeing that if the us government wanted that formula to fight cancer that they wouldn't have gotten it...

It very well could be true, but its not like the dude holds some mystical knowledge that other scientists cant figure out and copy...

Idk.... I will have to watch the documentary later, but I am skeptical.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Politicians have Pharmaceutical companies in their back pockets as well as Oil companies. It's not a suprise whatsoever.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Politicians have Pharmaceutical companies in their back pockets as well as Oil companies. It's not a suprise whatsoever.

I've heard over and over again, "There is no money in a cure, only in long term treatment." it just sickens me.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Looks like an ad to get you to buy something, honestly. Probably the movie? I must admit, I just perused the article. But, as a nurse, I must say that the "clinical trial" that shows 5 out of 20 people cancer-free for this "treatment" is statistically meaningless. As is the 5 out of 54 cancer-free after chemotherapy.

As I look further, it's not really an article. It's an opinion written by the man who owns the website which (go figure!) sells homeopathic vitamins and such.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Looks like an ad to get you to buy something, honestly. Probably the movie? I must admit, I just perused the article. But, as a nurse, I must say that the "clinical trial" that shows 5 out of 20 people cancer-free for this "treatment" is statistically meaningless. As is the 5 out of 54 cancer-free after chemotherapy.

As I look further, it's not really an article. It's an opinion written by the man who owns the website which (go figure!) sells homeopathic vitamins and such.

ditto. And better than I could have said it.

Coming from a family that has a really high cancer rate, I have to say I'm kind of jaded at this point. There are enough different kind of cells in your body, that I don't think anything could ever cure cancer. Some are more treatable than others, and I hope in the future that improves more. But a cure? Can't believe it.

Its not a fun thought, but some people get cancer. Some people die. Numbers can be improved, treatments can be improved, but in the end, some people will always get cancer, and some people will always die.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    NOT new news... disgusting.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I'd believe it. My belief in it comes from my Celiac's though. Docs tried to presrcibe all kinds of things for me, anti-depressants, ADD meds, I had a doc who refused to believe that I wasn't pregnant. No lie, everytime I went into her office because of stomach issues or GI issues she'd ask 4 or 5 times if I was certain I wasn't pregnant (unmarried, early twenties, lived with my parents while I went to school fulltime, worked fulltime...there wasn't TIME to get pregnant not to mention I had told her multiple time I wasn't sexually active). A year ago I found out about Celiac's Disease. I cut all gluten out of my diet, I stopped taking my ADD meds, I stopped taking my anti-depressants, and all intestinal issues stopped. No one had even tested for it. Even though I was constantly going to the doctor about how tired, depressed, anxious, and all around sick, they never once tested me for gluten intolerance, and when I went to my doc about it in the winter she seemed so doubtful that simply going GF could make me feel SO much better. Even though my depression was going, my ADD was gone, I was alert and energetic (even though I was working overtime at a job I hated). Doctors need to presribe, they were trained to do it in med school, pharmacies depend on it, and the government needs the pharmacies too. I don't know that i'd believe the cancer treatment specifically is perfect, but I believe that there are a million ways to cure disease and illnesses that don't include the chemicals we're fed by docs.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted. I am going to play devil's advocate here for a minute.

With regards to the people who thought this was a ploy to get you to buy something: I am curious as to how you came to that conclusion. Granted, I didn't watch the movie, I only read the article but I didn't find one mention of something you could buy, the movie, books, vitamins etc. I also never received any pop-up ads or things. The article isn't about vitamins and doesn't even mention them.

I agree that the FDA should test medications and such before public consumption. However, I don't believe they should have the power to bury a product because of pressure from the pharmaceutical companies.

I too was confused by the "Clinical Trial" section of the article. I wish they had stated when he conducted the trials. I am guessing it was towards the beginning of his process in 1977 and wasn't able to complete further testing while constantly defending himself trial after trial.

After discussing this with my husband I had one point I couldn't get out of my mind. While obviously this is not a cures all cancer or all types of cancer medication, I can't help but think it was a first step that if it had been researched and tweaked over the past 34 years, we could've been a lot closer to successfully treating more types of cancer.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I didn't click on the link being it is from Dr. Mercola's website, who I consider to be a modern day snake oil salesman.