Excess Skin

Options
I am terrified of losing a bunch of weight and having excess skin hanging off my arms and belly etc. I mean even though I weigh a good deal, I have always been pretty dense. ( I dont look as big as I weigh). I am also only 19. Should I really be worried about this if I exercise to tighten up my body?

Replies

• WannaBeAButterfly
    Options
    I am terrified of losing a bunch of weight and having excess skin hanging off my arms and belly etc. I mean even though I weigh a good deal, I have always been pretty dense. ( I dont look as big as I weigh). I am also only 19. Should I really be worried about this if I exercise to tighten up my body?
  • rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Not sure...but putting this on my topics so I can see others responses. Good Luck on your new lifestyle change
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I think that 75 pounds should not be an issue with excess skin as long as you lose it slowly. I think from seeing gastric bypass shows on tv that the biggest problem is losing it so quickly that your skin can't keep up. 75 is significant, but not like 200 pounds that will cause all those skin issues...check with your doctor and see what he/she thinks about the effect of slow weight loss as opposed to quickly losing it using other strategies....
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is unique but your age will help (meaning, you will have better results now than you would if you were 15 years older but it's all within the context of your own body). It's along the same lines as stretch marks during pregnancy. Some people get them, some don't, and it's all about the specifics of your own skin.

As the PP said, losing slowly and healthily will make a difference. Eating whole, healthy foods with adequate fatty acids will help because your skin is an organ and as with the other organs, it will be healthiest and at its best if it is well-nourished.

I definitely share this concern and at nearly half way to my goal I'm still plenty worried about it. However, I have given birth to two children in the last 4 years and the second time around in particular, my belly got BIG!

Just keep the "slow and steady" mantra in mind and eat whole foods and stay well-hydrated and you'll get the best results YOU can :flowerforyou: