A low fat sauce for pasta or veggies?

Options
I have been eating A LOT of steamed broccolli, cauliflour, and whole wheat pasta. But everytime that I eat it I spray Parkay butter spray (just like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray). I have been going through a bottle a week and I am kind of getting tired of it. Fat-free cheese tastes bad and I can't think of anything else to top it with. Any suggestions?

91581.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• amberrobinson1
    Options
    I have been eating A LOT of steamed broccolli, cauliflour, and whole wheat pasta. But everytime that I eat it I spray Parkay butter spray (just like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray). I have been going through a bottle a week and I am kind of getting tired of it. Fat-free cheese tastes bad and I can't think of anything else to top it with. Any suggestions?

91581.png
  • froggirl
    Options
    A little olive oil would be tasty and the fat in it is the good kind.
  • amberrobinson1
    Options
    I don't think that I could force myself to eat plain olive oil knowing the fat content. It has been so long since I have used any kind of grease that wasn't in a spray can. LOL
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

91581.png
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is high in monounsaturated fat, which can raise HDL cholesterol levels, improving your lipid profile. Also, fat doesn't make you fat, and is used in cell membranes, nerve function, and hormone production. It's VERY important to have in your diet. The spray stuff usually contains trans-fats, which increase LDL cholesterol, and that actually harms your lipid profile. Also, it does contain calories. If you look at the fine print, those bottles can contain 1000 or so calories, so if you're going through a bottle a week, you're actually adding a lot to your caloric intake. So eat olive oil, just in moderation. A little goes a long way. :smile:
  • dgoodgion
    Options
    I have been boiling my whole wheat pasta in Instant Chicken Bouillon (gives it a little flavor). Then I sprinkle on the following: low fat grated parmesean cheese, cracked red pepper (or Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning blend), juice from a lemon wedge (or you can leave this one out for variety), couple of sprays of I can't believe it's not butter and a small handful of diced grilled chicken. It's a very yummy combination and very filling too...

89374.png
  • dancegirl1
    Options
    Ragu has a pasta sauce that is awesome...its a no sugar added marinara sauce. I think its just called Ragu Light. I have the tomato basil flavor or whatever it is and its delicious. It has like 70 calories per serving, its really healthy...it is pretty much just a pure tomato...and tomatoes are very healthy!
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Tomato/marinara sauce is easy to make and low in calories. Pesto is a little higher in calories due to the olive oil (and optional cheese/pine nuts), but it is so flavorful that you only need to use a little bit. Also, you might try adding in some more flavorful veggies, like mushrooms, red peppers, onions and garlic.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I like salsa, it makes it taste like mexican food. I often use it in lieu of salad dressing in restaurants if I don't like the selection.

Also I like Frank's Original Hot Sauce, but I like hot things. (my wife often reminds me that not everyone likes pain as a flavor).
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I don't think that I could force myself to eat plain olive oil knowing the fat content. It has been so long since I have used any kind of grease that wasn't in a spray can. LOL
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

91581.png

I bought a pump at williams sonoma for 15 dollars. you put in 4 oz of OVOO and pump it. I have had the same bottle for a month. I pump it and spray my pan, cook garlic and onions till soft, throw in my presteamed veggies and toss. Then i put this over my ww pasta and sprtz with the OVOO again. It cant be more than a tspn of OVOO.

My dr told me we need good fats to keep our bad cholesteral down. Also NO perservatives or cfs in the bottle-and the added benefit of cardio while you pump it up LOL:wink:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I want to get one of those spraying pump thingies for my Olive Oil but am concerned about how to measure what you're spraying--how do y'all who use those sprayers measure what you're using??
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

91581.png

Oh, and Amber, it looks like you're pasting your ticker code directly into your posts each time--is that correct? If so, you don't have to do that. YOu can add it to your signature line, and it will be added in automatically each time. Here's how to do it from the FAQs--

Q. How do I add a ticker to my forum signature?

A. Here's a quick explanation of how to add a weight loss ticker to your forum signature:

1. First, click on the "Tools" tab, then click on "Tickers" in the light blue bar below the tabs to reach the section of the site where you can create your ticker.

2. Follow the steps to create your ticker. They should (hopefully) be self-explanatory.

3. When your ticker has been completed, you'll be shown two boxes with code in them to display your ticker. Click on the box on the left (BBCode) - this is the code you need to use on the MyFitnessPal message boards. Highlight all of the code in that box (most browsers will do this automatically once you click on the box). If the code is not all highlighted, you can right-click on the box and choose "Select All"

4. Once you have highlighted all of the code, right click on the code and choose "Copy."

5. Now click on the "My Home" tab, then click "Settings" in the light blue bar below the tabs, and finally, click on the "Change forum signature" link.

6. Right-click in the box where you can type your forum signature and choose "Paste."

7. Finally, click "Save Changes."

Once you've saved your new forum signature, every post you've ever made should now display your ticker at the bottom of it. You don't need to create a new post to test your ticker - just look at any previous post, and the ticker will be displayed there if you've followed the steps properly.
  • Laynee
    Options
    I've just started using the whole wheat pasta, rotini's my favorite right now. I use Cabot 50% light cheddar on it (microwave a few sec. to melt it in). Also do stir fry veggies mixed in with it and sometimes I add shrimp. Chicken would be good too. Yum. There are a lot of things you can do with pasta. I've never cared for the traditional tomato sauce but there are so many other possibilities! I just made some pesto since I had a lot of basil in my garden and put it in the freezer so I'll be trying that too.