Eat Yourself Slim!

Options
Science tells us that 1 pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories, so a daily calorie deficit of 500 should result in 1 pound per week fat loss. In reality things don't quite work that efficiently!

The Weight Loss Plateau

Over time our bodies adapt to a lowered calorie level. Our bodies become more efficient at using energy by lowering our metabolism. The same is true with exercise. If you continually do the same workout day in and day out, your body will adjust and get used to the routine and you will hit a plateau or at the very least painfully slow progress.

Zig-Zag calorie cycling is something that you should practice if you want continual healthy weight loss. It does two things: (1) It keeps your body from thinking it is constantly starving and going into survival mode by clinging to fat stores (2) Helps with the food cravings because you are allowed to modestly indulge in whatever you like once a per week (Of course how often you have a cheat day will affect how quickly you lose the weight so patience and commitment are paramount if you are not aiming for that weekly calorie deficit of 3,500 calories).

Eating yourself slim seems contradictory but it is all about keeping your metabolism high. Ideally we should have 6 small healthy meals even spaced each day for that very reason. You never want your body to think it is starving if you can avoid it. Ideally, I aim for one day a week where I allow myself to go over my maintenance caloric level (the level where I neither gain nor lose weight). When I do, I try not to binge ALL day so that I end up eating thousands of calories, rather modestly indulge in a few favourites such as pizza, chocolate or whatever my heart desires to the tune of a 500 – 1,000 calorie surplus.

Yes, that day I will gain a tiny bit of weight but not enough to sabotage my overall progress, oh and by the way, do yourself a favour; avoid the temptation to weigh yourself the next day! Chances are you will be retaining water from all the sodium.

As for me, today isn’t a cheat day so it’s back to egg whites and dry toast for this mornings breakfast. Thank goodness for ketchup!

Happy Eating!

My blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Juggernautpint

Replies

• kellywaller1
    kellywaller1 Posts: 101
    Options
    well said!!!! as I am at a plateau right now trying to push through it!!1
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this....I was zig-zagging my calories but then for some reason i stopped and went back to the 1200 calories that mfp said i should be eating. But I just started doing Insanity and I am thinking that I need to go back to doing it again for the simple reason that I am burning alot more now! :smile:
  • Juggernautpint
    Juggernautpint Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I prefer the ZAG or "Cheat Days" in the Zig Zag Routine:laugh: