What is yoga really and would it help me?

Options
Since I just started working out just a week ago and really don't have a lot of strength or endurance built up yet, should I try yoga? I've heard so many people talk about it but I really don't understand what it is or what it does? Right now I'm walking just a mile a day, at a "brisk" pace and I have been working out for about 20-30 minutes on my hubbys' resistance excerciser but I seem to still be, I don't know, sluggish? feeling and still don't feel really strong. I have heard so many people talk about how much they love their yoga and how great they feel after doing it, so I was wondering if it is something I should look into? If so, can I get yoga dvds? What would you reccommend? Thank you.:smile:

94358.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal

Replies

• susan62
    Options
    Since I just started working out just a week ago and really don't have a lot of strength or endurance built up yet, should I try yoga? I've heard so many people talk about it but I really don't understand what it is or what it does? Right now I'm walking just a mile a day, at a "brisk" pace and I have been working out for about 20-30 minutes on my hubbys' resistance excerciser but I seem to still be, I don't know, sluggish? feeling and still don't feel really strong. I have heard so many people talk about how much they love their yoga and how great they feel after doing it, so I was wondering if it is something I should look into? If so, can I get yoga dvds? What would you reccommend? Thank you.:smile:

94358.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've used yoga dvds before and I enjoy it. What you'll get in a dvd are vinyasas, which consists of moving from pose to pose in pace with slow breathing. The breathing is an important component, it's why yoga is so relaxing and so good for you. There's plenty of research to show that breathing techniques can be stress-relieving and good for you overall.

Also I feel it's good for strengthening muscles but gentle for those who are out of shape. It's not a real sweaty exercise so it's easy to talk yourself into and you do indeed sometimes feel an odd sense of peace and well-being when you're done. I can't explain that one though. :smile:

Give it a try, that's the best way to find out if you like it. You can get videos from Netflix even. I like Crunch: The Perfect Yoga Workout personally.
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    Yoga is an eastern physical fitness practice that mixes stretching, balance, strength training, and meditation. There are many types of Yoga. You can get videos to start out with, but I recomend going to a Yoga class held at a reputable yoga studio because the instructor can help you with proper body alignment. I don't recomend Bikrim Yoga (also called hot yoga) to start out with, because it is more physically challenging then most other Yoga's.

I love all types of Yoga. Its very challenging but also very relaxing. You should definatly try it!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    There are 3 pillars of Exercise:

Cardio
    Strength Training
    Streching or Flexibilty

Yoga does some strength does the streching very well. There is a series of positions which you do in class following the instructor. It really helps with flexibilty and balance.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am about the same age as you. I find that doing yoga helps me do everything else better, too. It builds strength, arms, legs and core. It helps with balance and posture. Through the breathing, it helps build up lung capacity and helps me de-stress. I just can't say enough great things about it.

When I started, I had come from a pretty rigid, fundamentalist background, and most things were "of the devil", yoga for sure! (please note toungue in cheek). Anyway, I was worried that it would be too "strange" and I would feel uncomfortable. That was not true at all. Yoga teachers are different - some are more or less focused on the actual athletic side of yoga, some more or less on the mental aspect. But the awesome thing about yoga is everyone is encouraged to be themselves. A good yogi won't force you to do what is too uncomfortable, either in the poses, or the centering.

There are some good DVDs out there - Giam has a "AM and PM Yoga"; also Rodney Yee's "Beginner's Yoga". But I agree that there is nothing like a good class with a good instructor. I hope you will try it. And I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Namaste!!!
  • kryoung
    Options
    DO YOGA. As posted above it has many exercise benefits, and it also gives you a really powerful sense of self. I find it improves self esteem, sex, lots of things. I suffer from anxiety and I find yoga grounds and relaxes me while making me stronger and healthier.

Start off with simple yoga - not the hot room (i agree)
    Try a class and a video so you know which you like most.

I love the classes cause it pushes me and has a great "vibe" to it.
  • susan62
    Options
    I asked about videos because I have social anxiety disorder and I can't really go someplace that I'd have to be around anyone. So if anyone could reccommend some good videos for beginners I'd appreciate it.:smile:

Thank you.:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee's videos are very good, and he explains the poses well. Perhaps you could start there and work your way up to a class.

(proper body alignment makes a big difference):flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee's videos are very good, and he explains the poses well. Perhaps you could start there and work your way up to a class.

(proper body alignment makes a big difference):flowerforyou:

I second this. AM/PM is a good place to start. As is Yoga for Weightloss by Suzanne Deason.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out, then definitely get a beginning DVD because you'll want to be able to practice your form and work you your flexbility and endurance before moving on to more complex yoga series.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I started my workout journey with yoga 40lbs ago. It was GREAT. I could feel soreness in my muscles from using them and I'd break a sweat from holding the poses. I love yoga. I'm more flexible now, have pretty good standing balance (like on one foot... you'll see if you do some yoga vids), and have much more muscle endurance. I HIGHLY recommend yoga for beginners! It's lower impact and such a great workout.

If at all possible, put a full length mirror where you can see yourself during the workout. I know that may be a difficult thing to do, but my gym has mirrors and I often look to make sure my posture and pose matches that of my instructor and correct when it does not. Without the correct posture/pose, you may not be getting the full effect of the exercise, and you may risk pulling a muscle. Be very careful to watch your form.
  • susan62
    Options
    You are all such awesome people!! I so appreciate your help and advice.:flowerforyou: