What do you do when you’re on vacation?

Options
mrk34
mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
What do you do when you’re on vacation?

I am on vacation in Florida and two conflicting thoughts are on my mind.

First, I know that I am going to have to go home and get on the scale. Second is “what the heck I am on vacation” kind.

Are you concerned with the possibilities of gaining weight, when you’re on vacation, or you go with "vacation is for me to enjoy and relax" attitude?

Do you keep thinking about this, when you’re on vacation, or you decide not to stress and enjoy your vacation?

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Don't stress. Enjoy your vacation. Just don't go BUCK WILD! :laugh:
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I try to do a combination -- enjoy myself because I am on vacation :happy: , but also try to get in some extra walking and eat sensibly whenever I can.
    That being said, I also don't beat myself up if my weight is up at the end of the vacation. I just try to get back with it when I get back home.
    Kaye
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Just came back from vacation on Saturday. I was gone for a week and didn't even think about the scale.

The day I got back I weighed in - up 12.8 lbs

As of this morning, I was only up 3.

I'm glad I didn't stress too much about it over vacation. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much if I had,
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I try to plan ahead. Yeah, I look like a major drug trafficker, but hey big deal. I make sure I take protein shakes. Then when I'm there I'll stop and get some almonds, maybe some sunflower seeds.

If I have a place that has a mini-fridge I stock up on yogurts, low carb preferred. I try to eat low carb throughout the day to support the fact that I'm certain to get a high carb meal at night.

Yep, I worry about it. But I try to plan for it. Ultimately though, I'm not sure it matters. At the end of the vacation, if I added a couple of lbs. Just gives me something to work back off.
  • SACox65
    SACox65 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am going to South Carolina next week and I just started my life style change yesterday - YIKES! So... this is what I've decided to do. We are driving down so I am going to pack lots of fruits and healthy snacks. We won't be stopping at any fast food joints on the way down or back. While on vacation, I know it's going to be hard to calculate my calorie intake if I go FAR off the map so I am going to stick to things I know are good for me and easy to calculate: chicken, vegetables and fruits. Rumor has it, there is a killer ice cream shop that we will visit over and over and over. Instead of dreading it, I plan on getting frozen yogurt or sorbert. And excercise? That wil be a piece of cake (yummy.. cake!). My girlfriend and I have made a deal to walk every day in the morning or evening and we plan to spend plenty of time in the pool - those laps will help burn a bit of that ice cream! I think that if you go on vacation with a "I'm going to fail" attitude, you will. Make the most of it but rememeber, a healthy you is more important than the extra helping!
  • Syntax_Error
    Syntax_Error Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Historically I eat a lot, drink a lot, and lay on the beach a lot...

This year I'll probably spend a lot of time on the beach, but am looking to control my food/beer intake a lot more. I'm also planning on doing some walking and swim laps every morning to stay active.
  • Buddie616
    Buddie616 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I just came back from vavcation... didn't gain a pound. When we ate out, I chose food off the low cal menu...etc. We done tons of walking and hiking. If we ate at the cabin, it was grilled.
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    Im on vacation in Virginia right now and those same things are going thru my mind. Im just eating the way I know I should and ive dropped my calories some just to be "sure" I dont gain.
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    ENJOY YOUR VACATION!!!!!

BUT......don't over eat.
    TREAT YOURSELF....just not at every meal.

Plus if you are spending your days playing at the beach or walking around amusement parks, then you are burning mad calories the whole day!!

Have a good time!
    The point of vacation is to RELAX!! :bigsmile:
  • maggiemyst
    maggiemyst Posts: 11
    Options
    I usually have the best of intentions, give up while on vacation, and am up per the scale when I get home... I'm hoping this year will be different.....
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Ditto! I am going to Florida for labor day weekend, and I am DYING to get into a bikini, but I know that I probably won't ever be happy in a bikini.

But I digress, I have noooooo idea what I'm going to do while I'm there...However, I am going to Iowa for a family reunion in July and I am taking my running shoes and go for a run while I'm there
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation the week of Memorial Day. Four days straight of invites to bbqs and parties. I came home and ended up here on mfp! No joke!
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I went to DC for a few days and was worried because the trip we went on....the meals were paid for...etc. I was unable to choose. I just worried about portion size......didnt over eat...and when I got home and weighed myself...I was the same. Didnt lose....but didnt gain....so....that was ALL I was hoping for. Have to say though....we did ALOT of touring....and that was by foot! You will be fine. Just enjoy yourself...and dont stress! : ) Hope you have a great time!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    When I take my trip to the Bahamas in 2 weeks, I will be working out and watching what I eat. I haven't been the weight I am now in the last decade and I don't want to screw that up!
  • LauraDubbleya
    LauraDubbleya Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Vegas in two weeks.. the land of BUFFETS!! I'm definitely stressing about that, but I'm getting myself into a mindset. I'm trying to lose 5 lbs at least, so that IF I gain it back, I won't have lost or gained anymore than I am now. However, I plan to try to make better choices at meal times, there'll be alot of walking in Vegas and the friend I am visiting has had bypass surgery to help her lose weight so we're both going to be on the same page when it comes to eating.

I'll also remember that it's vacation, so if I eat something decadent, I won't beat myself about it. I'll be back on track again when I come home.

Good luck and enjoy YOUR vacation!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this would work for *everyone*, but the couple of times I've been on vacation during the past six months I switched my goals here on MFP to "maintenance" level for those days. It gave me a few more calories to work with, I felt a lot less pressure -- and both times I still managed to lose during the times I was away. I was still careful about making healthier choices, but managed to enjoy myself throughly!
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead - you don't want to do all that work to look good in that suit, dress, whatever when you're on vacation just to have to suck it in after some huge dinners or horrible eating. That's what I'm doing for my trip to Boston for the 4th of July. I know what I want to take with me, and I'm going to wear it, damn it!!!

We planned ahead. Gym in the hotel. Am I crazy? I"m on vacation!!!! We went away this weekend and did the same thing - I was so glad we got a hotel with a gym! I needed it on Sunday morning.

Also, I think people are a lot more active when they're on vacation than they think they are. Sight seeing can burn many calories and your legs should feel it at the end of the day. If there's no gym, you should at least feel the effects of all of your work at the end of the day.

Have a great time and enjoy!
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'll be on vacation next week. I "unofficially" hit 90 pounds lost today. I am planning most of my meals ahead of time, and still plan to log and bump up my exercise for those beach "extras." I realize that this is not everyone's idea of a stress free vacation, but then again I am going with my inlaws! The extra exercise will keep me too tired to do away with them on the first day!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Going on a cruise in 19 days and a wakeup. I plan to eat whatever the heck I want, drink what the heck I want, and chase fast women so I can lose it all off. I did not spend all that money not to.

The way I plan on combating it is to take MFP with me, exercise a hella lot, and make sure I am still using the same belt notch daily. In fact, I have challenged myself to do whatever I want, including work out, and come off the cruise at the same weight, or an ounce less.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Our vacations are always more active than our normal lives. Hiking and climbing all day with children, usually at higher altitude. I'm always worried I won't eat enough on vacation.