I need to lose 40 pounds (((HELP)))

Options
2»

Replies

• slimothy89
    slimothy89 Posts: 61
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments! They are very helpful, but I think I need to work out especially if I plan on going to basic. I forgot all about the calories i burned during exercise!!

I have another question, aren't I suppose to burn more calories than I intake? I'm all confused now.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    How much sodium should I have per day?

I would try to keep it under 1500mg per day.... it's not a big deal if you do go up to 2000mg - 2500mg on some days....

But I've noticed the closer I stick to 1500mg, the better the weight loss is that week.

Thanks alot! I noticed your weight loss!! Its great. Care to share with me what you've been doing?

Sure...
    I started in January - initially doing a few Zumba classes & on the Wii, plus walking.
    Tried the 30 Day Shred - hated it...!
    Started Turbo Jam & alternated it with 'No More Trouble Zones' - but got bored of Jillian Michaels after 6 weeks

So I now do ChaLean Extreme for my strength training.... it's fantastic.... I've lost 7 inches in 4 weeks (2 inches of my waist).

I've created my own Turbo Jam / ChaLean Extreme hybrid schedule....
    2 more months to comple this round of ChaLean Extreme, and the I will start the Turbo FIRE / ChaLean Extreme hybrid schedule.

I have another question, aren't I suppose to burn more calories than I intake? I'm all confused now.

Read the link (MFP basics) in my signature:

You need to consider the following to get the most out of MFP:

1) How much do you have to lose?
    Set your weekly weight loss goal correct - as per the details in the linked page

2) What is your actual activity level?
    Then correctly set it in MFP

3) Do you wear a HRM (with a chest strap)?
    If yes, then eat back your exercise calories. If no, then only eat back HALF of your exercise calories.

It's important that the1st two points are set correctly.... send me a message if you have any more questions.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I started in January and I am close to 40 lost. You can do it, You just have to keep going. It is very frustrating to not see results. Make sure you are drinking your water and watching the salt. It was a big issue for me. I hold water easy, so I try to drink more to flush my system. And you will stop hurting from the exercise, I am at the point where my body craves the workout! Good luck to you!
  • ImaMommaLlama
    Options
    When you are "on program" and the scale isn't showing loss, or worse you gain, consider other metrics....

I don't see mention of measuring! I took measurements of my upper arms, neck, bust, ribs, waist, hips, thighs, and calves. When the scale doesn't budge often I see a loss in one or more of these areas. I also go by how my clothes fit, I was weighing once a month, that really seemed to help as the small ups and downs can make you crazy. It's hard to stay away from the scale, but if it causes discouragement daily or weekly, then it's best to hold off for awhile and measure other progress.

How about how long you can do cardio, or how much more distance or intensity your cardio work outs are? How about how much you lift, and reps? Seeing improvement in these areas is just as wonderful as watching the scale go down.

Muscle is much denser than fat, go look at a 5 pound lean roast, then 5 pounds of hamburger that's 70% fat and you will see a difference. So when you lose some fat, and build muscle in a week, the scale may even go up! This is when we get bummed out. If you can finally fit in a pair of jeans and the scale hasn't changed... it is still a victory.

Finally, keep a diary of how you feel. How you sleep, your energy levels, if you have pain note when you feel better, and what aggravates your condition. I notice I have more energy, and look forward to working out (I also reward myself with tanning which is free at my gym). I sleep less, which is frustrating as I have insomnia BUT I sleep better. So don't forget it's not the almighty "pounds" but other quality of life.

Usually one of these, be it weight, fitness improving, better sleep, more energy, less pain, less depression, losing inches/fitting into clothes, will be moving in a good direction. If you only look at one "metric" you live and dye by that number, and that makes it easy to give up.

One last thing. You can give up 100 times, because that means you go back and try again. If you only give up once, then you have really lost!