Thoughts/Information on the "incredible" egg...PLEASE!

Options
My husband is supposed to be watching his cholesterol levels, we enjoy eggs, but have been receiving A LOT of conflicting information regarding whether or not to eat them while watching cholesterol...can anyone help??

Replies

• The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Can you handle just eating the egg whites?

Perhaps altering the fat of the meal to be a healthier fat, say plant based fats like from almonds, sunflower, or flax seeds?
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I eat whole eggs and fatty meats, along with other "healthy" fats. Nobody on here believes it, but my study, and experience, is that sugar does more to raise cholesterol than fat. My good cholesterol to triglycerides ratio is, in the words of my doctor, fantastic. And eating fat makes the "bad" cholesterol big and fluffy, whereas sugar makes it small and dense, which is the form in which it's dangerous. Cut out white, processed foods, like potatoes, flour, and sugar, and I would be willing to bet eggs won't do a thing to harm his cholesterol levels.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Eggs in themselves shouldn't cause a problem with his cholesterol. They do contain cholesterol but that's not what contributes to high cholesterol levels, it's the fat. It's best not to go overboard with them but they are very healthy. The main problem is dietary fat. Try to avoid too much saturated fat and cut out trans fats/hydrogenated fats entirely if you can (mostly found in processed foods, biscuits, cake etc).

As The_Saint says, try to incorporate some healthy plant based fats in your diet too and make sure you get plenty of fibre in your diet. Fibre helps to take fat out of your digestive system before it has chance to be absorbed, therefore your fat intake will be lowered.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It might be best to direct this question to his doc and/or go see a nutritionist. I say this because it totally depends on what type of high cholesterol he's dealing with (causes, solutions, etc).

For my high cholesterol, luckily diet and exercise will lower my levels and I have an excellent ratio of good to bad cholesterol even when the number are high. ON the other hand, a friend of mine has a very poor ratio so even if she lowers the levels with diet and exercise, she's stil at risk for heart disease. We're all different so the advice you get here may be misleading...best to seek professional medical advice.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I eat whole eggs and fatty meats, along with other "healthy" fats. Nobody on here believes it, but my study, and experience, is that sugar does more to raise cholesterol than fat. My good cholesterol to triglycerides ratio is, in the words of my doctor, fantastic. And eating fat makes the "bad" cholesterol big and fluffy, whereas sugar makes it small and dense, which is the form in which it's dangerous. Cut out white, processed foods, like potatoes, flour, and sugar, and I would be willing to bet eggs won't do a thing to harm his cholesterol levels.

Yes, very important. Watch your sugar too!!!