How to become a runner?

Options
2»

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Get up and run around the block. Try to beat your time tomorrow. Now Ready? Set. Go!
  • lildevil968
    lildevil968 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I agree with the pp's about the C25K program. You can also find running events in your area, sign up for it, train for it using the program, and get out and run the event!! Completing the event will make you feel amazing, and want to run even more.
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    I do not have experience with C25k or any of those, but as some have said the most important thing is just to go out and do it! start slow, walk, work in small intervals of jogging here and there. Over time you will notice you are jogging more and walking less.

One thing I would add is invest in a decent pair of shoes, especially as you get into it more and are getting more jogging/running and less walking. I ran for quite some time in whatever shoes I happened to own at the time, I got blisters and would get sore, but I never really thought about it, I figured it was just part of the game.

When I finally went to an actual running store and got fitted for the correct footwear, it made a world of difference. My feet feel amazing and I have far less joint pain than I used to after a nice long run.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Getting started on the path to being a runner is as easy as putting one foot in front of the other. I will second what others have suggested in that a C25K program is a good program. Alternately, and what works well for many people is a clinic at your local running store.

Some of the best results are those obtained in a supportive group dynamic. I've done a few clinics in the Learn to Run class. You start at a pace which doesn't lead to injury (quite often people who do it on their own, do too much too soon and end up with boo boo's). The groups are generally supportive as you are in the same boat as everyone else and you progress at a safe speed with the correct information.

Additionally, by doing a Clinic, you have a set time to be running (i.e. Tuesdays at 6:00 pm every week) and you have "homework". "Homework" consists of a specified number of runs until the next class. And if you are having problems, there is usually someone who can help guide you!

Congratulations on your interest in our sport. Now take those first few steps and enjoy!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start C25k, but have been working on this on my own. Keep in mind that I am 50 yrs old, haven't run more than 10 feet in 30 years, and quit smoking 2 yrs ago after 30+ yrs of it. Oh and I have chronic arthritis in my joints. So I'm not in great shape.

Anyway, I started at a track (before it got hot outside) and would run just the long parts of the oval and walk the rounded ends. Sometimes, I would sprint the "run" portions, as a change of pace. I would do 4 laps which is 1 mile. Initially, I had to rest in between laps. That was 3 months ago. (Oh and I had huge changes to my body). I bought the best shoes I could find, too.

Now, I can run 1/2 mile without slowing down (2 full laps) and my walk breaks are much, much shorter (maybe 8 seconds). I recently bought a stopwatch to keep track of my intervals. I can do a total of 1.5 miles. My goal is a 5k .
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options

This is so great, Berry, thanks!!!! I love what running has done for me!! I was ALWAYS last in gym class - now I'm up to a 5 minute jog. Thanks, C25K!!!
    The best advice I can give you is to rest when you are supposed to. You get this energy that is great and makes you want to run, but the shock to your body is amazing. I had muscles that were tingeling and it was so cool. Weird, but cool! Days off is essential to build your foundation.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I do not have experience with C25k or any of those, but as some have said the most important thing is just to go out and do it! start slow, walk, work in small intervals of jogging here and there. Over time you will notice you are jogging more and walking less.

One thing I would add is invest in a decent pair of shoes, especially as you get into it more and are getting more jogging/running and less walking. I ran for quite some time in whatever shoes I happened to own at the time, I got blisters and would get sore, but I never really thought about it, I figured it was just part of the game.

When I finally went to an actual running store and got fitted for the correct footwear, it made a world of difference. My feet feel amazing and I have far less joint pain than I used to after a nice long run.

I cannot emphasize how important having the correct footware can be... Reputable shoe stores have staff trained in what type of shoes you should be wearing. We all have different feet and we all stride differently... they will look at the way you walk/run and tell you what options are best for you! (i.e. motion control, stability, neutral) or you can go barefoot and allow nature to dictate your stride... :smile:

Good Luck!
  • jfriend32
    jfriend32 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advise. I am downloading the C25K app for my iphone as I type :)
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    I just started running again. Add me as a friend and we can keep eachother motivated! Start off slowly. Don't feel like you need to start off fast or go far, especially your first run and your first week. You will feel like you cannot continue throughout your run, but keep going! Your brain and body are very resistant to change, believe me it's a daily struggle with me because my body is so damn stubborn. If you push through it and continue to go slow you will make it to the end of your workout every day! Here is what I did to start off running:

1st week 4-5 days- 20 mins very slow running (almost as if I was walking fast) without stopping with 10 min of walking (in between running breaks if I needed it and 5 min at the end)

Every week after that I've added 5 min to my time. The first two days of my weeks I've ran really slow because of the time increase and I just wanted to finish my time. Then the last 2-3 days of the week I've pushed myself a little to beat my distance within that time range, even if it was only .10 of a mile.

Stretch befoe and after. Do not just stop walking after your run, walk at least 5 min afterward to get your heart rate down and cool down. Please Please follow this rule. I've ran in the past and everytime that I get halfway to my goal I decide I don't need to stretch and cool down and EVERY time I've injured myself with shin splints(muscles on front part of ur calves become very tight and hurt very badly) and pulled muscles. Aleve and Advil for sore muscles along with ice (seriously ice is a must for at least 5 min. I'm a freeze baby and this is one thing this time I've done differently and it's helped tremendously!)

Know that some days you will be frusterated and want to quit. Once you quit for a few days it is extremely hard to start up again. We all go through this and just step out on those days to at least go for a short walk. Even then you might be motivated to start jogging after you get going. Play some music like an mp3 player. I can't stand to listen to my huffing and puffing as it discourages me so music is my lifesaver and helps me ignore the fact that my lungs are uncomfortable, plus it helps pump me up to want to run.

Wear sunglasses if you are in a neighborhood and don't feel comfortable running in front of people. This is helped me because I'm very self conscious running in front of people and this is my shield. Always wave and say hello to those other runners out there. I hate when people don't do it back to me. We are all enjoying running as a passion and should not be stuck up. Who knows? One day one of those people may become your friend if you go running about the same time and everyone likes a friendly runner over one who doesn't think they should be.

You will be amazed at what you can do in improvement from one week to the next. The first week may feel like hell. The 2nd week you will wonder what the big deal was with your struggles, and every week after that. Your body will adjust that fast. Good luck and those other sites for a couch to 5k work really well also!