Workout Calories Burned??

MNM1010
MNM1010 Posts: 11 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm a bit confused, hoping for some opinions.

I went to the gym yesterday and worked out on an Elliptical Crosstrainer for 50 minutes. It told me I burned 570 Calories. When I came online to imput my work out it said I burned 850 calories. Which is right? Why such a large difference?

Which one do you go with?

Couple other facts.. I did input my weight and age into the machine at the gym...

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    in all reality probably neither, but the machine will probably be closer to accurate than MFP.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Buy a heart rate monitor to get the most accurate results. Please and thank you.
  • MNM1010
    MNM1010 Posts: 11 Member
    A heartrate monitor isn't really in the budget right now. I have been reading about them and I would like to get one eventually. I was just trying to figure it out until I get one.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Definitely go with the machine as 850 sounds high for 50 minutes unless you were averaging well over 100 revs. Then go in and check your setup in MFP. It is never super accurate but usually is not that far off.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I agree, the number the machine came up with sounds a lot more accurate than the MFP number.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    I worked out yesterday upper body and abs for 30 minutes. My HRM told me 106 calories but MFP said 150.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    I find that both gym equipment AND MFP grossly overestimate my burns. I have a HRM, and can see that I don't burn near the calories that either tell me I do. So my guess is it's probably less than the lowest value you're given.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Did the machine ask for your gender or weight?

The default gender for many machines is male, and since men burn more calories than women - it's most likely overstated also.

To be safe - use the lower of the 2 OR as many people recommend - eat back only 50%-75% of exercise calories.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    I find that both gym equipment AND MFP grossly overestimate my burns. I have a HRM, and can see that I don't burn near the calories that either tell me I do. So my guess is it's probably less than the lowest value you're given.

I Agree, my treadmill tells me I burn more than I actually do.
This discussion has been closed.