very discouraged today

Options
so today i weighed 5 pounds more than i did 8 days ago, i know i shouldn't look at the scale weekly but i use it as a little gauge,
i normally go by the scale weight for every 3weeks. but last week i weighed 205, and today i was 210.
in January i was 242 pounds and started exercising in February and by April 3rd i was 220. i did the ea active 2 and the 9 week challenge and got down to 213 in 9 weeks and that was completed on April 7th.
Since april 7th i have been doing the Ea 9 week challenge again, and added walking 4 miles every morning as well as using MFP to keep track of my exercise and diet but i have not lost much weight since April 3rd, i figured i had hit a platue for weeks but then last week seeing the scale down to 205 made me real happy thinking i got over the hump but i guess i didnt. i know i have toned up some muscles, but i dont want to tone up, i want to get to 190 pounds and then ill worry about toning up. just feel so discouraged that i look back at april until now and have only lost 3 pounds.
just so discouraged i have no motivation to work out today..
i eat 3 small healthy meals. 2 healthy snacks, workout for 45 minutes 4 days a week and walk for 60- 90 minutes 6 days a week as well as be very active throughout the day and i am not dropping any the pounds.
i am very sad today

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You will only regret never working out. Get off your tush and workout. You'll feel so much better about that.
    Ummm.. have you had alot of salty or processed foods lately? That always causes a few pounds of fluctuation in me... like 3-4 bls in a day. Drink water to help flush that out of your system. You may also be building up your muscle, which is denser than fat...
    Take measurements to see if you are losing inches, not just lbs.
    You can do this... take it one day at a time.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You can do it! We definitely all hit plateaus. You'll get past it!

I do want to encourage the weight training...because muscles consume calories just to exist (ie, more muscles will raise your basal metabolic rate, or the amount or calories your body would consume in a day if you just lay in bed and did nothing), building muscle will actually make you lose weight faster, not slower.

Good luck!
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I took a look at your food diary and if it is accurate, I would say that you are on a plateau because your body is in starvation mode. You aren't taking in nearly enough calories. It's an odd theory to grasp I know but you have to eat more to loose more. If some more experienced people would like to correct me, by all means but from reading these boards for the past few months, that has been my experience. Most days you are taking in less than 1200 calories. That is the minimum for a woman. I can't remember what a man's minimum is. I want to say it is a minimum of 1400-1500 calories.

Hope this helps!
    Jen
  • onewarmmomma
    onewarmmomma Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I went through that recently, and felt just like you do right now. Someone reminded me that I may have gained 5, but I was still down from my start weight.

So...even though you've gained 5lbs, you're still down 32...which is HUGE!! Don't get discouraged. Use it as motivation to drink more water, and maybe add a short jogging stint in to your daily walk.

Just don't give up! You can do this :o)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    If your logging it accurate, over the past several days you have been way below your calories. You need to eat them, at least eat the amount allowed daily. In fact going further back, this is a pattern with you. What this boils down to is you are not eating enough. You need to eat your calories. Your body needs nutrients to burn fat. I haven't even looked at what you eat yet, because the lack of eating your calories is a huge problem. Usually to break through a plateau increasing your calories a bit and changing your exercise routine will do so.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well you know what will happen if you give up so just stick with it. I actually monitor my weight daily so I can make adjustments. Sometimes if I have been on a low-calorie trend, I can jazz up my metabolism by letting my calorie count go a little high for a day or two.
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Be sure to read the link attached to LauraMarie37's note. Are you doing this? Do not give up now... You'll be so sorry you did. Keep in mind that this is a process! And believe me! We have ALL been there! But slow and steady wins the race. I have NO DOUBT that you can win this. And tomorrow, who knows... You could be on the "edge" of this plateau but if you stop now you'll never know. Again... READ THIS!!! http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • yamdad
    yamdad Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses, i talked myself into doing the workout, so thanks for the nudges and the responses, i read a few of those links to help me understand more about eating healthy and to eat more calories. but im already stuffed all day with what i already eat but i will add more to my 2 snack times.

i have another question since im so stuffed, would it be good to substitute a snack for those sugar free instant carnation breakfast shakes to give me more vitamins and calories? or add it to one of my meals? i am a type 2 diabetic so i tend to stay away from the fruits, except berries